Crochet question about working in the round and seams - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-27-2010, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if any crochet mamas can help me out here. I recently made this adorable little baby sweater, the first sweater I've ever made, and it turned out really well, except--there's a sort of crooked diagonal seam of smallish holes down the back where I joined each row of stitches.

Is there a way to prevent this or is it just the nature of the design? I love the sweater and the pattern couldn't be easier, but the back seam is a little unsightly.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#2 of 10 Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 PM

Omgosh, I had this exact problem on a skirt I made a couple of months ago. And I ran all over Ravelry trying to figure out what I did wrong. But from what I understand from all the input I got was that that is just how it is with double crocheting in the round. It just leaves a holey seam. Mine was also getting crooked and I pulled it out three times and kept trying again. I finally got it straight but I had to pay major attention to what I was doing when I came around to that seam.
The only other thing I can tell you is that there is a way different way to do a double crochet seam that is supposed to make a smaller holey seam. I ended up doing it on the skirt, but honestly I don't think it made that much of a difference. Let me go to Raverly and find you that video of the diff. way to do the seam.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#3 of 10 Old 09-27-2010, 11:22 PM

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/learn...188731/1-25#11

Here is the thread. It's not very long, but several ppl chimed in with great advice.
Basically what I did was a longer SC incstead of DC to connect the seam.
I will say that once the skirt was done and when I wear it, the seam is not so bad.

#4 of 10 Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Jamie! I'm sorry you had that problem too but I'm pretty glad to know it's not just me. I think I must have restarted that sweater four times trying to figure it out.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#5 of 10 Old 09-27-2010, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I just read the thread and it makes so much more sense now. I was considering trying to just work in a spiral instead of joining rows, but then of course the rows would be crooked. Or maybe just skipping the ch-3 altogether and having if not a seamless back, one without holes. This makes much more sense.

Thank you thank you thank you!

#6 of 10 Old 09-27-2010, 11:31 PM

I am just happy to actually help someone else with Crochet. Never thought I'd see the day!
Secondly, I am so happy that my panic and dismay a few months ago turned into something positive for me and someone else. HOOOORAY!

#7 of 10 Old 09-30-2010, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The same thing happens to me! Usually it's not obvious, but I made a baby bunting once and the seam when from the center at the top to the corner at the bottom. It was sooo obvious. I didn't frog it because it's not like the baby's gonna care, right? But even with counting and all that, I still end up with crooked, weird seams.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#8 of 10 Old 09-30-2010, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I have had this problem with a hat pattern I made and I found that if I replaced them"chain 3 which counts as the first double crochet" in a row with a "chain 2, double crochet in joining space" the holes disappeared.
#9 of 10 Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Oooh, that sounds like it would work. Nice trick--thanks so much for the suggestion.

I made a seamed hat tonight and managed to avoid the holes problem, but the seam is definitely still quite visible. There has to be a way to camouflage it better, especially if you're using variegated yarn which is basically idiot-proof anyway.

I will figure this out, I swear it!

#10 of 10 Old 10-04-2010, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Today I made little crocheted drawstring karate pants out of the same yarn as the sweater (hopefully cuter than they sound). Following the pattern would have left the typical row of ugly holes along the seam in back, so I sort of cheated. (Actually, the whole pattern was pretty awful and I had to change it a lot to get the size and proportions right and add the drawstring waistband, so changing it more was no big deal.)

Whenever I came to the end of a row and was supposed to join to the top of the chain, instead I joined to the space between the chain and the first DC. Once in awhile, depending on the pull of the fabric, I would have to add an extra DC to the space to keep the hole from appearing. But it was easy enough to sneak in a DC-decrease in an inconspicuous spot in the row.

I think if you were making something out of a very delicate, drapey yarn this might not work as well, because the decreases would show and the extra DC on the seam might be lumpy. But using a simple worsted weight acrylic yarn, it turned out fine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page