Question about procion dyes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-22-2004, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are these exactly? Can they be bought at pretty much any craft store?

I want to be able to dye prefolds, onesies, and hopefully plain white bummis whisper wraps or proraps. Maybe even some wool as well. Would procion dyes be what would work for all these things? Is it safe to do this activity with ds, or are they particularly toxic?

Any info or feedback you have on this would be much appreciated!
#2 of 8 Old 03-23-2004, 12:51 AM

I'd like to know if it would dye proraps! I know in the diapering forum a mama dyed them with sun paints(?) or something like that.
#3 of 8 Old 03-23-2004, 03:04 AM

Procion dyes are fiber reactive dyes, which means that they only work on natural fibers. They were primarily developed for use with cotton fabrics(a cellulose fiber) but also work with protein fibers(i.e. silk and wool). Fiber reactive dyes actually bond on a molecular level with the fabric, so fading is very minimal. Wool can be dyed with fiber reactive dyes but do better with acid dyes. I use procion dyes for my silk dying and painting.
You can learn more about these dyes at dharma trading co

Procion dyes are alright to use with kids, just premix the dye before you use it and wear gloves and clothes you don't really care about. The dyes are non-toxic once mixed with water. The dye powder is considered an irritant, so a mask is ussually suggested when mixing. Anyways...check out dharma for some info and other links.
Heres the link to their info about setacolor for sun painting
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2067-AA.shtml

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#4 of 8 Old 03-23-2004, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I believe Fuzmama used Procion dyes for her wools. She found that acid dyes (which are customarily used for protien fibers, wool and silk) didn't hold well with dipes, the urea in the pee broke them down.

Oh, and no dye will work on Prowraps, they are polyester and poly will not take dye. They might turn a pale color but the dye will wash out eventually. You'd do better with a fabric paint.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#5 of 8 Old 03-23-2004, 01:06 PM

some craft stores, mostly high end quilting stores sell Procion dyes in 2/3 oz containers, but they are typically more expensive!!
I guess if you factor in shipping buying online then they probably even out.....

I usually get mine from dharma.... I will be placing an order this week if you want anything lmk

Chris Mama of J, A, C and M
Surromama of four
#6 of 8 Old 03-23-2004, 01:12 PM

Kool-aid anf food colring will dye nylon
#7 of 8 Old 03-23-2004, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I actually live near the dharma main retail store (I though they were all over, but apparently not), so I will check in there.

Is it pretty easy to do this type of dyeing? I mean, easy to get it looking nice, and not streaky or blotchy? Any tips I should be aware of?

Luvmy2kidsz - would you mind sharing how to go about using the kool aid and food coloring for nylon? How much do I use, how long do I soak, do I need to do anything to set it afterwards?

I have to accept that I am never going to get time to sew, as I am a slow beginner, but with dyeing I might actually be able to get some cute things made around here!
#8 of 8 Old 03-24-2004, 12:15 AM

how the heck do you order procion from their site? All I can come up with is their price list, color list, info...... hmmmm?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page