Which do you like better: knitting or crochet? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 72 Old 05-11-2011, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I learned to knit years ago from the Stitch and Bitch book, but didn't progress much further than making lots of scarfs and hats, a baby blanket. Last year I taught myself crochet, and fell in love. In six months I've devoured many books, and made blankets, costumes for kids, toys, a ball, a monkey. And now I'm learning Top Down Knitting. I've made one dress for myself and am working on the second (my first pregnancy clothes). I've found that the two combined offer the most versatility and enjoyment for me. For clothes, knit fabric drapes more gracefully, but I find adding crochet details makes a piece look much more finished. I've found that using the top down knitting technique, I can knit more creatively.

#62 of 72 Old 05-23-2011, 08:12 PM

I originally learned how to knit from my grandmother then promptly forgot all about it.  When I was pregnant with my G/B twins 4 years ago, I decided to try again and there has been no stopping me since.  I love knitting and I'm definitely turning into a yarn freak.  I just started my first crochet project for my cousin's first baby.  I had to rip out my first attempt when I got to the border and realized I had dropped more than 10 stitches over the course of the blanket.  Other than that I'm enjoying it but not quite ready to give up my knitting.  Crochet is faster but I like how knit projects look...and I don't have to count every other row to make sure I haven't dropped a stitch somewhere.

Mom to DD kid.gif& DS superhero.gif11/07 and mom to an angel angel.gif
WAHM  computergeek2.gif              knit.gif    
#63 of 72 Old 06-14-2011, 12:51 PM

I prefer to knit. I just think the look of the finished item looks better and it seems more versatile. I can crochet, albeit poorly, but it seems so dated looking to me. 

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#64 of 72 Old 07-14-2011, 11:49 AM

Oh, this is a fun thread!!  I love reading everyone's thoughts about knitting or crocheting.

I LOVE crochet!!  I learned when I was a girl, and I've been crocheting for about 27 years.  There is so much you can do with it!!  I've made a filet crochet table mat, an Irish lace purse for my daughter, blankets, sweaters, jewelry, hats, toys, slipper-shoes, baskets, rugs, shopping bags, doll clothes, wash cloths, beaded lace, doilies, things to felt after....I've also made up my own patterns for things I see online (like an amigurumi mermaid doll, or shoes), or I've copied baby sweater patterns as smaller doll sweaters.  I even made up some crocheted Waldorf doll sandals for my daughter's doll, they weren't complicated at all, but very cute!!  I have so many patterns, from books to leaflets, to printed/copies pages - they take up a row of about 2 1/2 feet on my bookshelf!!

There are so many possibilities with crochet.  I don't like the "granny" look to some things either, but there are tons of things that look great now.  Have you seen what the Japanese do with it??  I got some Japanese craft books as a gift, and I was blown away!!  It was all so clever and beautiful, I can't wait to make some of them!  I wish I could buy more of the books, but they cost so much.  Some of the things I could figure out how to make on my own by looking at the picture, but I still want the books!!  LOL  

With all that being said, I DO wish I could knit, because some knitted things are so lovely.  But knitting is a mystery to me...I don't get it, and when I do knit, I go so slowly compared to how I crochet that I lose patience.  I have made sure my daughter learned to crochet AND knit (I had a friend teach her), so she can be proficient in both if she wants to be.

I haven't crocheted in a while, because I've been working so much in my garden, and canning and freezing what I harvest.  But reading this thread made me long for winter nights huddled under a quilt on my couch and crocheting!!    Ooooh!!  I think I'll start picking out some things to make right now!!  :-)

LisaDiane

#65 of 72 Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaDiane View Post

With all that being said, I DO wish I could knit, because some knitted things are so lovely.  But knitting is a mystery to me...I don't get it, and when I do knit, I go so slowly compared to how I crochet that I lose patience.  I have made sure my daughter learned to crochet AND knit (I had a friend teach her), so she can be proficient in both if she wants to be.

Which style knitting do you try to do?  I immediately switched how I was being shown (English style? where you use your right hand to wrap the yarn around the needle) to the less awkward and more crochet-like hold of Continental style.  After you cast on, you can grab the yarn like you do with the crochet hook (despite the lack of a hook on the knitting needle)    I learned to crochet as a girl and do like it.  But I'm so pleased to be able to knit.  I like the flat, even cloth one gets with knitting.  I like how it looks for men's items.  Having 5 brothers, dh, and ds, it's nice to be able to knit.  I just think crochet looks feminine, even cables or whatnot.  It's nice knowing how to do both.  I love being able to crochet an edge on a knitted garment.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#66 of 72 Old 07-22-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so thrilled that this thread is still going! joy.gif

Right now I'm working on a baby blanket in a three different fall colors for my friend's fall baby. It's a gull lace pattern that's fairly simple but easy to lose track of. It has a garter stitch border that I'll probably crochet around to give it more structure and a polished edge. I've really come to love knitting since I last posted, but I still have a soft spot for crochet--it's so very useful for certain things.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#67 of 72 Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 PM

I posted this same question online a couple of years ago, when I was trying to decide which craft to devote some serious energy into. In the end, I went for knitting b/c I like the finished look and feel of the fabric more. It was worth getting past the 'all thumbs' stage! I was taught Continental style, which I think is economical in its movements. I *love* knitting now- even when I'm working on something tricky, it feels like I'm solving a fascinating puzzle. And I always make sure to have an easy project going, too, something mindless I can do while I sit with the kids as they do their homework, etc.

Crochet hasn't gone totally by the wayside, though.... I find it pretty easy to whip out a baby hat without a pattern, so I usually bring a ball & hook to births. A nice quiet companionable thing to do while mama labors.

peainthepod likes this.

Michelle L'Esperance, Certified Professional Midwife ~ Warm Welcome Birth Services

Homebirth Midwife, Birth Doula, Postnatal Doula, Night Doula, and Doula Trainer

Northampton, Massachusetts

#68 of 72 Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 PM

I started out crocheting and a little bit later tried to knit - not a good period. I took a class here and there and finally got the hang of it but totally know your fear of those double ended needles - I don't know circular needles well - I can knit on them just can't get the think to be circular LOL

I stick with crochet for the most part because I'm comfortable with it and because it is pretty quick when it comes to hats.

#69 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 01:39 AM

I can knit.. I tried crocheting once and yea, not a pretty sight. I can't even crochet 1 stitch. Its pretty bad. Knitting however i find therapeutic.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#70 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 02:00 PM

I'm hoping one day I can say that about knitting. When I only do squares with knitting, yes, very calming but anything past that - I need help. praying.gif

#71 of 72 Old 09-08-2011, 08:35 AM

I love knitting but crocheting is ideal for certain projects.  Do most of us do both?  I was a knitter for years before I learned to crochet.  

#72 of 72 Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 PM

I'm finding more and more that I need some basic crochet (and sewing!) skills in order to knit more involved things.  In the last year I learned the crocheted provisional cast-on which is SO helpful!  And in a few projects, I've chained instead of made I-cords to get the ties on hats, etc. a little more user-friendly.  Now I'm feeling tempting to leap the fence and start hooking.  So many projects that look fun!  

SAHM to three homebirth nurslings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page