Which do you like better: knitting or crochet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 72 Old 10-07-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And why?

I started teaching myself to knit about a year ago and lost patience with it quickly because, if I'm honest with myself, I found it a little intimidating. Circular needles and stitch counters and double-pointed needles and ack! Scary.

One day I looked at my old yarn stash and saw this cute hat online that was crocheted and decided to make one for myself. I watched some crochet videos, made an afghan, and fell in love with hooking. ( ) Since then I've gotten fairly competent with a crochet hook, making all sorts of things, and I realized that I could really improve my skills by learning the knitting basics. So I signed up for a class at a local yarn shop and learned to purl, knit, use circular needles, etc.

I've started knitting again and am finding it really fun and terribly challenging, since you have to sort of wrap your head around a different concept of making stitches with needles than with a hook. I still love to crochet and have started combining both, adding crocheted edges to my knit pieces and so on. But I think, if I had to choose one, I'd go back to crochet. There's just something about it that really appeals to me.

Anyway, this thread has pretty much no point at all. I'm just curious what you mamas prefer, and why, and anything else you want to chat about when it comes to making things out of yarn. I'm still something of a novice and find it all very interesting.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#2 of 72 Old 10-07-2010, 04:19 PM

I tried to learn knitting once, but it was from an inept teacher. Therefore I really just didn't get it. Two needles, yarn...it was all too much for me.
About a year later I tried hooking and I, like you, have fallen in love. It's taken me a long time to get good at (several years) b/c I was taught by a different inept teacher and basically figured out the rest for myself. I found reading patterns initially like reading another language and I wasn't really paying attn. to what I was doing.

But now I can breeze along quite nicely and really enjoy the craft. I feel like I am being drawn to knitting though. Eventually. There is so much more to offer in knitting and I know that. Everything from more patterns to choose from (limitless is seems) to great needles and fun stitch markers.
I'm still enjoying crochet though, but can sense that I will probably outgrow it. Next time I try knitting though, I'm going to pay and get a really good teacher to hopefully give myself a good start. It will still be up to me in the end, but having to undo what someone taught me wrong initially is really a pain!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#3 of 72 Old 10-07-2010, 11:24 PM

I love to do both but I'm most adept at knitting. I'm ok with crochet and I love the process of doing it but there's something about the look of crocheted stuff that just isn't my thing. It reminds of granny style afgans(sp?).:

Knitted stuff OTOH usually appears (at least to me) to look more formal and technical, and the selection of patterns is almost limitless so I can usually find something I like.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#4 of 72 Old 10-08-2010, 09:09 AM

Crochet! It just feels good to crochet. I like how it works up faster & I guess mainly, I'm good at it & with knitting, I'm like at an entry level when it comes to skill.
#5 of 72 Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 AM

I am an equal opportunity crafter - crocheting since age 4 and knitting for about 7 years now (wow that long).

I find I like each for different things, although I do lace in both. I do more toys in crochet and more clothing in knit, but that isn't always the case.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#6 of 72 Old 10-08-2010, 05:25 PM

I adore knitting. I've been knitting about 9 years now. I love the look of knit items.

I would, however, welcome the opportunity to learn how to crochet. There are a couple of cute hats I've seen crocheted (is that a word?) that I'd like to try. I also think crochet flowers can be cute, too.
#7 of 72 Old 10-08-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the answers so far! I remember in some "teach yourself to knit!" book I bought early on, there was this rather stern introduction about how knitters and crocheters each have a place in the crafting world and that the book would not be approaching the subject from a place of knitting elitism. That always stuck with me because I just pictured gangs of knitters v. crocheters, needles and hooks threateningly in hand, like the Sharks and the Jets but with yarn.

I really like doing both; in fact, I just splurged on an entire bamboo set in both straight and double-pointed needles, plus one of those modular circular kits. Tonight, I'm going to try and make my first exclusively knit hat. I've never knitted in the round before, so please wish me luck!

joyfulheart, I think crochet might honestly be a lot easier to teach yourself than knitting. The best resource for learning I've found is watching how-to videos over and over again on YouTube. Then just learn the abbreviations and try to do some easy patterns on Ravelry. The best thing about crochet is if you mess up or miss a stitch or miscount or whatever, it's SO EASY to fix. It's an incredibly forgiving craft.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#8 of 72 Old 10-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Knitting! I knit for 3 years before learning to crochet, so I feel most comfy and rhythmic with it. Crochet absolutely has it charms, though. It's usually easier and most always quicker!

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#9 of 72 Old 11-17-2010, 01:24 PM

Depends on what I'm making. Crochet for hats usually and amigurimi animals and knitting for scarves and flat things. But that's probably because I haven't mastered knitting in the round!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#10 of 72 Old 11-17-2010, 01:54 PM

knitting! love.gif

it is more "structured", imho. crocheting is more free-form, and i tend to make up stitches i can't remember redface.gif

i adore knitting in the round, it is easier than straight needle knitting for me. that said, i have NO CLUE how to do cables yet! headscratch.gif

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#11 of 72 Old 11-17-2010, 03:05 PM

I can knit but only basic stuff and it gives me a migraine so I don't usually get very far.  I've tried numerous times to teach myself crochet but I can never quite figure it out.  I really want to make a granny square afghan but it's not going to happen.

#12 of 72 Old 11-17-2010, 05:26 PM

Definitely crochet!  I know how to knit but it just feels so awkward to me.  I heartbeat.gif crochet so much.  Right now I have six projects either on hooks or in my head, it's the best part of my day when I get to sit down with a glass of wine and some yarn.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#13 of 72 Old 11-18-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMom View Post

Definitely crochet!  I know how to knit but it just feels so awkward to me.  I heartbeat.gif crochet so much.  Right now I have six projects either on hooks or in my head, it's the best part of my day when I get to sit down with a glass of wine and some yarn.

Absolutely!

*I also have about 6 projects on hooks right now. Sometimes that gets a little overwhelming and i have to really focus to get a couple done and feel like I've accomplished something.

#14 of 72 Old 11-19-2010, 10:23 PM

Jamie, what do you have going on your hooks right now??  I love to see what other hookers are working on.  lips.gif

I'll post what I've got going on tomorrow but for right now I have to go give some lips.gif to my own dh.

#15 of 72 Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Crochet... cant knit worth a dang.  Maybe one day I will figure it out??

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#16 of 72 Old 11-21-2010, 03:54 AM

Twinmama-I've got a basketweave blanket going. A shrug. I just finished my first slouchy hat that I love. I've got a a pair socks I'm about to get started. Oh and I need to make these for my Sports loving family:http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/cpatt10.htm for Christmas.

What are you working on?

#17 of 72 Old 11-21-2010, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I learned to crochet first, long before I learned to knit.  Since I've had years more experience with crochet, I find it unnatural to have 2 needles in my hand and the yarn in the "wrong" hand when I knit.  So I don't do it very often which feeds the awkwardness of it.  So it has become a self perpetuating cycle.  But I do know the stitches and how to read the knitting patterns so I can talk about knitting with my dd, Joy, who is a much better knitter than a crocheter.  I mostly work with thread, not yarn, and the patterns I like the best are all in crochet.  So that doesn't help either. 

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#18 of 72 Old 11-21-2010, 08:55 AM

Knitting, definitely. I find it much easier to obtain the right tension when I have needles as tools vs just my fingers and that one piddly little hook. 

#19 of 72 Old 11-21-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so happy to see this thread is still going!

So far I've knitted several simple hats in the round, a simple cabled scarf, and I'm working on this pillow. Cabling is not too hard once you get the hang of it; what really intimidates me now is intarsia and Fair Isle knitting. yikes2.gif

I still love crochet but knitting is not nearly as scary or awkward as it once was. I guess that's progress.

#20 of 72 Old 11-22-2010, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I do both. I tought myself to crochet as a kid, and then picked up knitting a few years ago. I remember loving the creativity of crochet as a kid (and all the math involved!), but honestly, I like the mindlessness of knitting now.  I don't want to look at my work, or count my stitches anymore. I just want to sit down without feeling guilty, so I knit, knit, knit, while watching tv.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#21 of 72 Old 11-24-2010, 05:40 AM

I learned to crochet when I was around 7 (I crocheted several ripple afghans during my childhood, and a few other afghans and lots of baby blankets in adulthood); soon thereafter my mom taught me how to knit, but I hated the boring gray acrylic yarn so much, I dropped knitting and never picked it back up...until last year. 

My hand was starting to cramp while crocheting with small gauge crochet hooks, so I re-learned how to knit.  For me, continental knitting style meshes well with my crocheting habits.  I checked out a library book for kids, knit a swatch, then made a couple scarves and hats (while consulting on-line video tutorials), then stopped b/c knitting for me was so slow it was discouraging (I did love the straight and circular bamboo needles I was using, though).

At the end of summer this year I decided to get a head start on crocheting a bunch (dozens) of hats and scarves for charity.  As long as I stuck to larger crochet hooks, my hand was fine; however, I totally burnt myself out on crochet, so now I'm back to knitting. 

I knit my first pair of socks on a set of metal dpns and noticed my speed had increased, but I didn't like "wasting" all that time switching stitches to different needles.  I was glad I knit the socks, but was definitely not going to bother knitting another pair.  I wanted to try something different, so I knit my son a raglan sweater (he's too young to care about the mistakes I made).  Then I knit myself the Scotty hat; after that a plain scarf; now I'm challenging myself by trying a new-to-me stitch pattern, different yarn, and metal needles.  Then I found a link to the Yarn Harlot and spent an intensive couple of weeks reading all her archives (they go back to 2004), gaining a new perspective on knitting and wool.

I've only just gained the confidence with knitting to try doing it while watching TV (well, a DVD I've seen before so I'm not constantly staring at the screen).  I still need to recount my stitches rather frequently--lots of interruptions by DS mean I'm losing my place quite a bit--but that doesn't take too long with a scarf.  I doubt I could ever bring myself to knit an afghan or baby blanket--those will always be crocheted items for the speed.  It still bugs me that knitting is so much slower than crocheting, but at least now I've realized that a purled row takes me less yarn than a knit row, so I can steer clear of patterns requiring lots of purling if I'm in the mood for speed.

I enjoy working with yarn to produce something useful, but mostly I crochet and knit to relax (I've noticed I get grumpier when I don't get enough yarn time during the colder months).  It's rewarding for me to learn new skills/stitches, or attempt a new article of clothing (I'm still in the planning stages for my future shawl collar cardigan).  I like having tangible proof that my brain hasn't turned to mush, and knitting and crocheting feel more productive than reading (which is my all time favorite activity).  However, it'll probably be a few years before I can safely attempt something really complicated like color work or extensive charting; I don't believe in setting out to fail, and until DS is older, that kind of work would be doomed on my needles.

#22 of 72 Old 11-24-2010, 06:45 AM

I learned to crochet as a child and picked it back up 2 years ago and really like it.  I felt a little bored with it, and the lack of cute patterns for crochet so I'm learning to knit now.  Like others have said, I think I will stick to crochet for toys and ruffles, and freeform. There are so many cute patterns for knit and not a lot for crochet.  I can only have so many scarves and hats and fingerless gloves, ya know?  esp because I live in the south!  I did do several uber cute crocheted sweaters for new babies and my daughter.  It's called "everyday is a new sweater" on ravelry if anyone is interested, raglan style easy to work up.  I like the look of stockinette stitch and can't wait to do some not-so-bulky items in knit!

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#23 of 72 Old 11-24-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyme Mama View Post

knitting! love.gif

it is more "structured", imho. crocheting is more free-form, and i tend to make up stitches i can't remember redface.gif

i adore knitting in the round, it is easier than straight needle knitting for me. that said, i have NO CLUE how to do cables yet! headscratch.gif

Cables are easy-peasy. ;) Do you have a cable needle? Basically, to say do a two-by-two knit cable, pull two knit stitches (of four) off your needle onto the cable needle. If you want the first two to stitches to cross "under", hang the cable needle at the back of your work, if you want them to cross "over", hang the cable needle at the front of your work. Knit the next two stitches, then pull up the cable needle and return the reserved two stitches to your working needle. Knit them. You've now made a knit crossover.

To do things like Celtic knots, you have to learn to do a combined knit/purl crossover, which is often done with two knit stitches and one purl. But this: http://ravel.me/cschick/phop was the second knitting project I ever did and it used most common cabling techniques. It's easy once you've gotten through a few rows, and I find cabling charts easier to read than written instructions.

I then did this: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/cschick/ribbed-cap completely without any pattern whatsoever ;)

#24 of 72 Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I enjoy both. I like the variety of knit stitches and the finished projects but I find the process of crochet to be easier and quicker and it makes me feel more proficient. If I'm making an item of clothing, I'll usually knit it. 

I've made a few amigurumi projects that are adorable, eg. the sleeping kitty that was so popular a few years ago. I haven't tried any knit amigurumi, but it's easy to crochet them.

#25 of 72 Old 11-24-2010, 08:48 AM

Knitting, love it! I have tried to learn crochet a few times but the wrist twisting always bugs me. I am currently obsessed with knitting socks, I'm on my 5th pair this year.

I started about 6 years ago. A friend showed my how to make a small cotton dishcloth. I did that for a while then moved up to scarfs. Then a cabled scarf, I made a few of those then tried a hat. I loved making hats and did that for a long time. Then last year I tried a sock, and now I'm hooked.

I also love to knit in the round. I learned to do magic loop for hats, and now that is my preferred method for hats and socks. I got sick of all the double pointed needles. Magic loop is easy and I never have to worry about dropping stitches when a project is in by bag or losing a needle.

The internet had be awesome for learning new stitches and seeing how things are done. I spent a lot of time on Knitting Help watching videos.

Thanks for all the stories, I love to hear how people come to a craft!

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

#26 of 72 Old 11-24-2010, 11:08 AM

Last week I finished crocheting an afghan for my 5yo.  He is obsessed with Spiderman, so I made a webbed blanket of red and blue.  Click here to see it, I'm incredibly proud of it and he LOVES it.  Now I'm almost finished with a baby sleep sack for a friend with a newborn, just have to weave in the ends.

#27 of 72 Old 11-24-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post

I did do several uber cute crocheted sweaters for new babies and my daughter.  It's called "everyday is a new sweater" on ravelry if anyone is interested, raglan style easy to work up.  I like the look of stockinette stitch and can't wait to do some not-so-bulky items in knit!

Yes! I am making that for DB next! I made this other pattern of hers, Bombay Love, and it was super fast and easy and turned out beautifully. love.gif

#28 of 72 Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMom View Post

Last week I finished crocheting an afghan for my 5yo.  He is obsessed with Spiderman, so I made a webbed blanket of red and blue.  Click here to see it, I'm incredibly proud of it and he LOVES it.  Now I'm almost finished with a baby sleep sack for a friend with a newborn, just have to weave in the ends.

Okay, that is awesome! Gorgeous work, mama. joy.gif

#29 of 72 Old 11-24-2010, 11:12 AM

I only know how to knit, but I refuse to crochet.  I can't stand how crocheted things look 99% of the time.  I know crocheting is supposed to be easier and faster which would be good for me who isn't good at knitting and really impatient... but I have yet to see anything crocheted I like enough to own so I figure doing it would also be a waste of time haha.

#30 of 72 Old 11-24-2010, 11:13 AM

Wow! That is so cool!

My first thought was "Holy blanket Batman!" then I realized I was mixing up my super heros. smile.gif

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page