If you were making a nap mat... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-07-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What would you use for the cushy part that the child lays on? And how thick, assuming there is little to no carpet padding in the napping room? Should I do layers of pre-quilted material, or some of that foam?

Thanks for your thoughts!

ETA: I guess I'm really asking more of a general crafting question, so I'm going to ask a mod to move this to the main sub-forum.

#2 of 4 Old 10-08-2010, 06:59 PM

I'm not familiar with nap mats, per se. I made stroller pads and used batting in-between the layers. I used flannel on one side and woven cotton on the other side with batting in the middle. Since it was relatively small, I just did a pillow-case flip and stitched all around the edges to finish it nicely. Batting will shift if it is not secured somehow with larger items.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#3 of 4 Old 10-08-2010, 07:05 PM

I think you should do the foam. Quilt batting, even layered a lot, will not be very cushy at all.

Mama to three

#4 of 4 Old 10-16-2010, 12:05 AM

if you go foam, you might consider natural rubber latex, you can buy a one or 2 inch "mattress topper" and cut it. This way the foam is non toxic for your little one (assuming no latex allergy). Regular foam is pretty toxic. You will spend some money on the topper but foam is easy to use in all sorts of crafts and is great to replace/restuff cushions with.

Tags
Arts Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page