Doe applique have to = sewn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-10-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking of a craft for the kids at thanksgiving (I'm always in charge of the kid craft because that is where I function at craft-ability wise hehehe).
Anyway I thought of towels/hand towels with some kind of precut appliques for them to put on them? Would any kind of craft glue work for this, or would it just fall apart the first time it was washed?
Thanks for helping the craft impaired!!
#2 of 10 Old 10-10-2010, 04:38 PM

I don't think glue would hold up to washings.The only thing I know of that would stay on well has to be ironed.What about making something that they can use to stamp onto the towels with.You could use fabric paints.

#3 of 10 Old 10-10-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

That's what I was afraid of... yeah fabric paints would work. I just found really cheap nice fall colored towels, so I'm trying to make this work.
#4 of 10 Old 10-23-2010, 11:19 PM

You could use iron on fusible bond stuff not sure what it is actually called. It might hold up. Also you could needle felt on a design.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#5 of 10 Old 10-25-2010, 05:08 PM

How old are the kids? Can they use an embroidery needle and thread? You could fuse the applique to the towels with the fuseable stuff and an iron, then teach them a simple embroidery stitch, like a running stitch, to go around the edges.
#6 of 10 Old 10-25-2010, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if you look up 'freezer paper stensils', you can see some pretty neat designs for a no sew project.

I think it would work with the thinner no pile kitchen towel type towels.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#7 of 10 Old 10-25-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
How old are the kids? Can they use an embroidery needle and thread? You could fuse the applique to the towels with the fuseable stuff and an iron, then teach them a simple embroidery stitch, like a running stitch, to go around the edges.
No, they are 2-6. I don't think that would work. Maybe in a few years though.
#8 of 10 Old 10-25-2010, 06:53 PM

There are iron-on patches for jeans that can be washed no problem. So there must be some sort of interfacing that could work. You'd have to find a glue that can be ironed safely so you could iron the work after they stuck things down.
#9 of 10 Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 PM

Fusible interfacing might work but I wouldn't want a child that age around an iron.. I would think for that age children fabric paint would be the best thing. You can get fabric medium then use acrylic paint if you don't want to spend the money on actual paint (I got some fabric medium for 1.40 a bottle then got paint for 75 cents each.. lot cheaper for me to do that than buy fabric paint). You could do stamps made out of sponges if you are worried about them not being able to paint on a picture (I know my 2 year old "pictures" tend to look like huge blobs).

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#10 of 10 Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yup, blobs or aliens!

Tags
Arts Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page