Creative Butterfly Costume - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD wants to be a butterfly for Halloween.

Last year she was a kitty and I really like the Pottery Barn Kids kitty costume and sort of copied it.

Any ideas for the wings?

My challenge is that I like to put it together myself while not spending alot but once you buy the tights, leotard, etc. and all of the supplies it seems like I end up spending the same as buying a new costume.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#2 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Shop thrift or consignment. You should be able to get everything except maybe the wings. Wings are pretty easy to make using coat hangers and tights and a little glitter.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#3 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 01:35 PM

Ah just looked at the costume online... those are some cool wings. Can you sew? I think they'd be fairly easy to make. Just cut out the basic outline for each wing part, sew wrong sides together, turn right side out and stuff a bit, then put the wing pieces together and add straps. Actually you could even use fabric glue instead of sewing.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#4 of 9 Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 PM

I recently purchased a butterfly fairy costume for my daughter. Instead of wings that hook onto her back, the costume has long glove-like sleeves (no fingers and goes to the elbow) with a wing (flap of fabric) hooked to the sleeve. There is a small loop that hooks to one of her fingers. I'm not sure I am describing this well. Basically she can move her arms and they become wings.
#5 of 9 Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
nak

how about something like this http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts...princesses.php

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#6 of 9 Old 10-18-2010, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
if you click the larger image link there is a picture of the wings laid out so you can see how they were put together.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#7 of 9 Old 10-18-2010, 11:22 PM

I am making my own version of these wings: felt wings. They are two layers of felt with batting between the layers. You could knit a hat with antennae made of pipe cleaners to pair with the wings.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#8 of 9 Old 10-19-2010, 12:47 AM

When my dd was 2, I made wings out of an old ballet skirt of mine--basically a piece of chiffon sewn onto a ribbon. I used snaps to attach the ribbon to the wrists and neckline of a long-sleeved shirt, so that the skirt fabric hung down. She loved them because she could actually flap the wings!
#9 of 9 Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I made some wings similar to these http://www.sarahssilks.com/catalog/d...silk-wings.htm

I took a rectangle of fabric, which reached from one wrist to the other and from DDs shoulders to about her knees and hemmed all the edges. I attached loops of ribbon to the top corners to loop around the wrists (though DD prefers to hold them). In the middle of the top edge I attached a long length of ribbon, This goes over her shoulders, crosses at the front and then goes round her waist to hold the wings in place. Finally I ran a couple of lines of stitching up the middle of the wings and gathered them.

For a butterfly DD worn the wings with black leggings and T shirt. We attached pipe cleaners to a plastic headband for antenna.

Tags
Arts Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page