a question about waxing fall leaves - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-17-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was young we ironed fall leaves between two sheets of wax paper. Recently I read on a blog about dipping leaves in floor wax to preserve the color. (Can’t find the site now.) This seemed like a better idea than the wax paper. However, when I went to the store, all the floor waxes had warnings about the dangers of handling the wax and the chemical contents of the wax. Is there a 'plain old wax' product I could purchase to dip leaves rather than something with all the chemicals? Or are these products really alright and the warnings are overkill?
TIA
#2 of 6 Old 10-18-2010, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've heard of dipping fresh flowers in either paraffin or beeswax so I'd try one of those. I know I tried it myself but I don't know which kind of wax I used, maybe beeswax since someone gave me some blocks of it years ago.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 6 Old 10-21-2010, 01:54 AM

If you do use paraffin please use a double boiler. I was dipping leaves in it as a young teenager and it got too hot and started to smoke. When I took it outside it blew up and I threw it off our deck into a wooded area because it scared me so badly. Then a couple of trees caught on fire and I became a firefighter while my little brother called 911. Everything ended well but I have been too afraid to do it since!
#4 of 6 Old 10-21-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrygirlatheart View Post
If you do use paraffin please use a double boiler. I was dipping leaves in it as a young teenager and it got too hot and started to smoke. When I took it outside it blew up and I threw it off our deck into a wooded area because it scared me so badly. Then a couple of trees caught on fire and I became a firefighter while my little brother called 911. Everything ended well but I have been too afraid to do it since!
Thank you for the warning. That is frightening!
I haven't done it yet; haven't been out to get supplies.
I thought, briefly, about doing it as a class project but figured twenty children, a rushed time-frame, and hot wax are not a good mix. Instead I am going to make jar lanterns with the class and do the waxed leaves with my own children (maybe).
#5 of 6 Old 10-23-2010, 07:32 AM

A hot pot works well for melting wax. The kind that plug in not just a hot pot .

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#6 of 6 Old 10-23-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin0105 View Post
A hot pot works well for melting wax. The kind that plug in not just a hot pot .
Thanks,
I was wondering if I could use a crock pot. I don't have a large one but used to have a really small one somewhere. I never use it and might have donated it. I'm going to look for it.

Tags
Arts Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page