Super Soaker - diapers without waterproof lining? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-20-2010, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After making about 4 diapers, I am convinced nothing is going to work for my baby unless I get some PUL. I would love to hear otherwise. Not that I don't mind buying it, we are just really broke and I was trying to get all my fabric for free (and have most of it).

The best diaper and cover I made so far absorbency wise are two layers of fleece RRP with a doubler of 2 layers of terry and half a prefold folded in thirds. The cover was two layers of fleece. This worked the best by far but was so bulky, the poor girl couldn't sit up without rolling backwards. Anything else or any other combination just leaks (soaks through) in a couple hours- except a prefold bikini twist with a prefold insert and Gerber plastic pants. But she hates the plastic pants because she hates sitting still for me to pull them on her and I think they irritate the eczema on her thighs. Not to mention she now has a little diaper rash which I thought was supposed to be remedied by going to cloth.

So from those of you that have soaking babies and have made your own, is there anything I can do to make a diaper without PUL? If not, I guess several yards is a month's worth of disposables so its worth it anyway - I just wanted to cover my bases. Thanks in advance!

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-24-2010, 11:30 PM

You could make some wool covers, those are suppose to work really, really well. I haven't used them yet though. I think the Katrina Soaker pattern is free. Just look for 100% wool sweaters at a thrift store (on half price day!) Otherwise you can use a 40-50% off coupon JoAnn's PUL if you have a store that carries it near you.

Mama to three

#3 of 6 Old 10-27-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remijo View Post
The best diaper and cover I made so far absorbency wise are two layers of fleece RRP with a doubler of 2 layers of terry and half a prefold folded in thirds. The cover was two layers of fleece.
When you say "fleece" do you mean polyester/polar fleece? If so, I think your problem is too much fleece and not enough cotton. Fleece doesn't absorb so really all you have to catch the pee is the 2 layers of terry and a half a prefold. That would be good for maybe one pee for my daughter on a light day. I would say make an RRP that is all absorbent material (for example, two layers of flannel or t-shirt (4 if the knit is thin, two each front and back)) and save the fleece for a cover. With enough under it, two layers of fleece should be fine for a cover. FYI A soaker (the absorbent part of a diaper) for an average wetter is 8 layers of flannel/prefold twill/birdseye; 1 layer terry is equal to 2 layers of flannel/etc. If having more cotton under your fleece doesn't work, wool is wonderful. And some thrift stores have quarter days where you could get a sweater for a quarter--definitely cheaper than PUL. In general, you can get two covers and a pair of pants from one sweater. Get the largest sweaters you can find (men's large are ideal) and make sure they are soft! Look for cashmere, merino or lambswool. They should be at least 80% wool and the remaining 20% should be something like acrylic or nylon. I like to wear them on my arm for a bit to see if they are soft enough. I would recommend Katrina's Sew Quick soaker for the cover and there are great pants directions here: http://doityourselfec.blogspot.com/s...20instructions

Oh, and you should be changing at least every 2 hrs or as soon as she is wet or dirty. Not changing often enough is a common reason for leaks

HTH!

Marjorie
wife to my best friend, Stephen, mother to Alec 5/02, Ian 2/05 and Kathryn 9/09
#4 of 6 Old 10-27-2010, 02:44 AM

How long do you expect her to sit in a wet dipe? If you're having rash issues, that's the firstculprit to look at.

It sounds like you have a super soaker like me. The best commercial dipe I've found has a body made from 2 layers of cotton fleece, and a quick dry soaker made of 3 layers of OCF, folded in half so there's 8 layers in the wet zone. However, at most this dipe will hold 2 pees for my super soaker.

Then there's pockets, w 6 or 8 layers of microfiber for absorption. It holds a lot of pee, but you dont want MF touching the baby's skin.

I have made some dipes based on the commercial ones i like, with 2 layers of flannel for the body and a soaker from 3 layers of cotton micro-terry. I haven't used them myself, but they reportedly hold a ton.

Without seeing what you're doing, it's difficult to tell, but some fabrics are far more absorbent than others. And when it comes to diaper making, do not expect the body of the dipe to absorb - that job belongs to the soaker, so that's where you want your absorbent fabrics.

The only time i ever bulk him up to where he has trouble moving is at night. I try to avoid nighttime diaper changes, so his nighttime dipe is a good 2 inches thick. But we need that much absorbency to get thtough 12 hrs.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 6 Old 10-27-2010, 03:23 PM

I second wool! I have been using wool soakers/longing for several months now. I use the (free) Katrina's Quick Sew pattern also. Find large sweaters then do a hot wash/dry in the machine to felt. If they're really thick you may not need to felt. Try to avoid wool sweaters that are really fuzzy or hairy. Merino wool and Cashmere is great, but sometimes you have to use 2-3 layers if it's thin. Also, you can get away with 80% wool 20% nylon sometimes, but avoid all acrylic. Google search how to lanolize them and you're all set!

Secondly, if you're having leaks, you need more absorbency. You can buy a package of several microfibre towels in the automotive section @ walmart for like $5. Fold them in 3rds or 4ths then fold an infant prefold around that. Put this inside another prefold and you'll get good absorbancy. Don't let the microfibre touch the baby's skin.

good luck!

Married to dh since July '04, SAHM to ds 2/13/09,Standing on the promises of Godhale, cd addict
#6 of 6 Old 12-27-2010, 07:33 PM

I dont think pul is the answer. We had a super wetter, she still is but she is 9 now. LOL
ANyhow, nothing held for her but 2 layers of good wool. Now wool is expensive but worth it. If you can get 4 or 5 good wool covers, that would work for you. And then a killer diaper.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page