Issues with Wicking - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2010, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hubby and I are sewing our own diapers (yes, he's helping!!) for Baby, who's due to arrive around the beginning of December. We've finished ten or so of varying sizes, patterns, and materials, but they're mostly pocket-style with built-in waterproof layer (ie RRP adjusted or Cloth Revolution diaper patterns). I like to use a layer of cotton print outside the PUL layer for cute factor, but when I tried a wet test tonight, I realized there was some serious wicking going on. The inside flannel gets wet and just wicks straight onto the cotton outer, which ends up soaked. I'm thinking that's probably not going to work! Do I need to skip the cotton outer and just do PUL? Is there a pattern modification I can do? Something else I'm missing? Hubby also noticed a little tiny bit of wetness on the outside of the seams, even in PUL-only dipes. Can that be avoided/lived with?

TIA, Mamas!

One curly engineer + One curly accountant = One curly preschooler (12/2010). Next up: 9/2014. Hoping this one sleeps, cause the first one didn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 03:11 PM

here is one idea for using prints w/o wicking http://makingitlittlebylittle.wordpr...-outer-prints/ (it uses a specific pattern but you could use the same idea for any pattern)

Marjorie
wife to my best friend, Stephen, mother to Alec 5/02, Ian 2/05 and Kathryn 9/09
Old 10-29-2010, 04:56 PM

Congrats on your curly!

I would just go for " cute" pul. Wicking, if it happens will be SO annoying. Jo annes does have one or more pul prints right now. Or try kamsnaps forcolorful snaps.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Well, isn't that awesome! I will definitely try that technique, Jorie, and report back on what I come up with. I couldn't see very well in the pictures, but it doesn't look nearly as bad as I imagined! Thanks!

One curly engineer + One curly accountant = One curly preschooler (12/2010). Next up: 9/2014. Hoping this one sleeps, cause the first one didn't.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:25 PM

It also helps to use polyester yarn for sewing.

Carma

User Tag List