Cross-posting in preteen/teen forum. Craft kits for 9 yr old girl - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-01-2010, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've bought dd1, who's very creative, several craft kids from place like Michael's, Walmart & Target. I hate them. The directions are frustrating and they never turn out good.

What craft kits have you used/bought for this age group that is well-made?

Thanks!

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
#2 of 5 Old 11-01-2010, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
HI, I have a ds10 who is a crafter. I by-pass the kids dept and go straight to the 'adult' area. Basically anything I do he can do.

What types of crafts does your DD like to do? I've found a well stocked craft box with basics goes further and is more cost effective in the long run then the 'craft kits'.

For example I have tons of those little bottles of paints. Generally under $1 on sale, I have glitter, glitter paint, foam, foamies- you get the picture and then DS can pick out a wooden box, crate, letters etc and then he can sand the edges, paint it, seal it, and embelish it. The project works out soooo much better then buying a pre-fab kit!

DS also likes to use yarn and crochet/knifty knitter. We have Knifty Knitters and he just uses those and crochet hooks. He has made some pretty neat stuff. No need for kits. I will buy latch hook kits.

DS doesnt make jewlerly but I do, again no kits but I have a wide variety of beads, metal string, 'do-dads' and the internet to spark creativity.

Blank art canvas are cheap, you have paint, brushes and off she goes.

Something else we did was buy canvas bags, ribbon and 'sparklie stuff' and DS and I made embelished bags for grandma, auntie etc one year.

For fun he likes the color wonder products by crayola. (or he did, I found a bunch of it in the closet and he is using it up. DS hasn't asked for anymore) I've found that works the best and acutally does what its says its going to do!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 5 Old 11-03-2010, 04:08 AM

I agree that the kids kits tend to be bad.. I remember my mom getting me a couple as a child, I opened them, she looked at them, she threw them away and got me an adult kit to do.
What does your child like to do? At that age I loved needlepoint and latch-hooking.. My mother had started teaching me embroidery and cross stitching as well. All of them I learned doing adult kits, although I now do some better than others. She also had a real jewers kid from when she worked as a manager in a jewelry store that she allowed me to play with and make jewelry from, I made a few pieces she use to wear to work.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#4 of 5 Old 11-03-2010, 03:36 PM

My dd loved to work on projects from these books-

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/620467.Kids_Knitting

She was able to make most of the projects in this book by herself at age 10.

http://www.blueberryforest.com/readi...craft-book.htm
#5 of 5 Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 AM

For Christmas this year I am making my children craft kits. I found projects that I thought they would like to make, and am including the instructions and materials they will need. For example, in February, I am going to have them make felt hearts. In DS's kit I will include felt cut into heat shapes, emboidery floss, and needles. At age four, I'll just give him verbal instructions. DD's kit will also include a couple embroidery patterns to choose from to embroider on the heart, a pen to transfer the design she wants, and simple instruction for a new embroidery stitch for her to try. I'm getting 12 kits ready for them, one each month, and they will alternate between fiber crafts and other crafts (mostly paper or wood). I'm also sending links to on-line tutorials to family and suggesting they put together some kits for DD's birthday in January.

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.

Tags
Arts Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page