Can you turn wool yarn back into roving? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm just starting to learn about working with fibers, and I'm wondering if I had some extra wool yarn, could I turn it back into roving (like maybe by carding it?), so that I can use it for felting?

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-17-2010, 08:22 PM

I think it would depend on the type of yarn you have whether or not it would turn into roving easily.

For example, if you had single ply yarn that is loosely twisted together into yarn, then it would be a simple matter of using a pair of hand carders and untwisting and brushing the yarn back into roving.  It would take a lot of work but I think it would be do-able. 

If you had wool yarn that had several plies (strands twisted together), I think it would NOT be worth it to try to turn it back into roving.  Chances are you would be absolutely frustrated with the process and the results would not be satisfactory.

If you had wool yarn that you wanted to use for felting your best bet might be to knit it up and then felt the piece.  (I suggest knit vs. crochet as crochet uses up to 30% more yardage per relative area, and will result in a thicker fabric pre and post felting).

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#3 of 5 Old 11-18-2010, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#4 of 5 Old 11-21-2010, 09:16 AM

Hi,

I actually haven't introduced myself on the boards yet but I wanted to reply. I read recently in the book "Skills for Simple Living" that you can reclaim wool from socks etc. by cutting them into long strips and then plucking the fibers apart by hand. After that they would put it into a pot and pour boiling water over it and mash it until it became wool again. I haven't tried this method yet but I have an old sweater that I want to try to reclaim for wet felting purposes.

#5 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 06:40 PM

I have used some rainbow wool yarn for wet felting with the kids - we did a heart in a heart cookie cutter.  It went fine.  So depending on what you want to do, you could just use it as is.

Tjej

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page