Any ideas on how to make a winter baby carrier cover? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-23-2010, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I love the idea of this:

http://www.togetherbe.com/peekaruvswinter/

But not the $80 price tag! I have a large fleece blanket that I think would work for this - anyone have ideas or suggestions? I'm tempted to just take a whack at it without a pattern or anything. I don't know if I would do the side zipper or not -might be a little beyond my ability level ...

Thanks in advance!

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#2 of 8 Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 AM

i just decided to make a boot. i will use it for the carrier, the car seat, and the stroller. i am basically going to make a 2.5 ft by 3 ft cover. it will be elasticized all all sides. the top near the head will be looser and it will have velcro to attach it to the starps on the carrier and the stroller bars. i have a convertible car seat so i am not sure what i am going to do to keep it up. it will only go up to the neck. i have seen pics of something like that but cant remember where. seems easier and i can use it under or over my coat.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#3 of 8 Old 11-23-2010, 12:08 PM

How about a babywearing poncho, with a faux-turtle neck for each of you?  Very easy, and there's a tute linked on here somewhere....

#4 of 8 Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I made a babywearing fleece jacket out of three matching $10 fleeces.  You could do it with one fleece, three matching zippers, and an extra piece of fabric but at the time I was willing to pay $20 to not have to install 3 zippers. (It was going to be about that much anyhow, what with zippers often being $5-$7).

Anyhow, I used one fleece to make an insert - just cut the shape (Wider at top, narrower at the bottom) and added the zippers from that jacket to the insert.  And the other fleece, I cut the zipper off and sewed it onto the center back of the third intact fleece.  So I get front and back wearing for $30 and 30 minutes.

I only wish I hadn't made it in black - black is chic, until it gets covering in baby spit and cat hair.  :(  I'm lint-rolling that sucker like every day.

#5 of 8 Old 05-29-2011, 02:40 AM

This thread seems a little bit old but has anyone made something like this : http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534079? I used one a long time ago with a baby I nannied for and it worked really well. I liked that I could wear my coat (open in front) without being hot around the back like it seems the vest would be. It looks like they changed the design some, I remember it having a strap you just put around your neck instead of velcro which seems more versatile for wearing with a wrap, or anything with wide straps. It would also only work for front carries. It seems simple enough to figure out how to make but if anyone knows of a pattern or tutorial or has any experience, please share! What kind of fabric do you think would be super warm for very cold winters? maybe 2 layers of felted wool lined with something soft?

#6 of 8 Old 05-29-2011, 02:44 AM

Also it would be cool to add a hood since it would be used facing in (unlike the pic on the link). It could have a drawstring or elastic to keep out the wind.

#7 of 8 Old 05-29-2011, 02:46 AM

#8 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I had one of these http://www.wilkinet.co.uk/viewcarriera507.html?ProductRef=15

It's a large oval shape with elastic all round and a couple of tapes around shoulder height which tied onto the straps of the sling. I used it over a couple of slings an it nicely filled that gap once they were too big for my coat to zip up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page