Christmas gift for my mom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-25-2010, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I are in a rough place finacially so my mom is helping with my student loans, therefore I think it would counterproductive to buy her a Christmas present and I think it would make her mad.  However, I don't want to not give her a gift.  I'm fairly crafty, I can sew and do many other crafts (I'm not very good at yarn crafts tho and I don't have any scrapebooking supplies).  I'm thinking I'd like to do something with the kids handprints or footprints, or pictures, but I don't want it to look cheap.  Any ideas? TIA

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 PM

What does your mom like to do?  Does she have any hobbies, collect stuff, etc.?  Maybe thinking about that will give you an idea.  There are so many tutorials on the web, but you need an idea to start with that you'll feel really inspired to try .  I've been trying really hard to use only my stash for making gifts this year, and it's been so much fun.  Try to see it as a challenge rather than being disappointed that you can't buy something,.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have seen people talk about the rice bags here for years, but I never was that interested, until I bought one at a fundraiser.  It is really nice - and smells so good when heated up.  I am thinking of making a couple to heat up before we head out in the car on cold winter days. 

You could make her one with some pretty fabric.  The one I got has a removable cover so I can wash it.  And it has rejuvenate stitched on the cover. 

Old 11-30-2010, 07:29 PM

What about something like this

You could add in some sugar scrub, maybe some home made calendula cream, some bath bombs or  and a nice bar of soap.

It would be inexpensive to make if you use material from your stash or pretty pillow cases from the thrift store.

There are also tutorials for simple throws made from vintage pillow cases or sheets and backed with fleece or an older blanket. You could easily assemble something like that for under $10 and embroider something special on one of the pieces.

I would browse the Sew Mama Sew Christmas tutorials - lots of great ideas there.

hth

Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Tags
Arts Crafts
User Tag List