What ornaments are you making with your kids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-28-2010, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for some inspiration, especially for non-breakable things to hang on the tree. My toddler has already caused a few casualties. mecry.gifI'm thinking we'll cut out some shapes from felt and embellish them. Maybe the classic clothespin reindeer. What else?

#2 of 10 Old 11-28-2010, 07:11 AM

Button wreath ornaments.  Something easy that my almost 5yo can do.  Found the idea here: http://www.marthastewart.com/article/button-wreath-ornament.  I'll let him choose the buttons he wants to put, the order that he wants to do, the ribbon, etc.,  He'll do the decorating, I'll do the snipping and tieing.

Last year, we did white handprints on clear ornaments and them I turned his fingers in to tiny snowmen.  Turned out really cute.  Made them for family and his teachers at pre-school. 

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#3 of 10 Old 11-30-2010, 02:27 PM

I was browsing the Martha site and found several possibilities.

Here's the link to the whole slide show of ideas, some great stuff but not all kid friendly.

I like the balloon/string/glue things. (slide 26) and the pipe cleaner snowflakes (35) among others.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#4 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post

I was browsing the Martha site and found several possibilities.

Here's the link to the whole slide show of ideas, some great stuff but not all kid friendly.

I like the balloon/string/glue things. (slide 26) and the pipe cleaner snowflakes (35) among others.

Yeah, I saw the snowflake one, too.  I'm considering that one over button wreath ornament since we have a ton of pipe cleaners and no buttons! LOL ;)

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#5 of 10 Old 12-02-2010, 05:26 PM

We are making all the ornaments for our tree this year.  Mostly because our tree has been up a week and it's already taken a header shrug.gif We are doing a craft a day as part of our advent calendar. 

I don't know if I can post a link to my blog so I'll just C&P 

- Tree topper (we paper mached an oatmeal container and then made paint and painted it red and green (this was a two day craft and the first one we have done))

Orange slice ornaments

- Clay snowman ornaments (we will make clay, let them dry, paint and the shellac) 

- Chain garland for the playroom

Pipe cleaner candycanes

- Popcorn garland for the tree

- Papa’s shirt (we are putting the boys’ hand and footprints on a t-shirt for Papa Andy for Christmas)

- Glue snowflakes (using wax paper, squirt elmer’s in a snowflake shape.  Sprinkle with glitter, let dry.  Peel off and stick to windows.)

- Paper and glue snowman (make paper + glue pulp and shape into snowmen on a lined cookie sheet.  bake slowly until dry.  paint and hang on seasonal tree)

- Make soap crayons

- Make reindeer food (oatmeal and glitter- sprinkle on the lawn on Christmas Eve for the Reindeer to eat, it sparkles in the moonlight)

- Make Christmas cookies (we will probably do this a few times. Some for us and then once for cookies for Santa)

- Decorate jars for gifts (tissue paper and a glue mixture painted on jars)

- Make peppermint bark

- Make Puppy Chow

- Make chocolate covered breadsticks

- Balloon ornaments (blow up small balloons and wrap evenly but not completely with string dipped in glue, add sparkles.  let dry, pop balloon, hand on season tree.  long clown balloons make icicles, round make snowballs.)

- Paper and glue trees (make paper + glue pulp and shape into trees on a lined cookie sheet.  bake slowly until dry.  paint and hang on tree)

Cotton ball wreath (Cut the center out of a paper plate and glue cotton balls around the “wreath”. Hang on door.)

Make candycane soaps

- Make peanut butter/bird seed pinecones to hang outside.

- Make Christmas colored playdough

Paper and glue window collage

- Pine cone bird feeders (pine cones with peanut butter and bird seed on them to hang on the tree out front)

- Garland for out door tree (popcorn and cranberries alternated for the birdies) 

- Applesauce/cinnamon ornaments 

My son is 2.5 so a lot of this will require my help, but it's SO much fun!!!! 

SAH Mama to Cooper (3-9-08) and Sawyer (9-3-10).   
#6 of 10 Old 12-02-2010, 05:29 PM

this thread is so inspiring i'm so excited!

homeschooling mom to coco (9/2006)

baby house to a new little (1/2015)
treehugger.gif nocirc.gif familybed1.gif cat.gif

#7 of 10 Old 12-03-2010, 10:03 PM

I had just gone looking to see if there was a new ornament thread this year - lots of good ideas!

I'll link to a thread I found on Mothering last year and bookmarked - full of additional good ideas for ornaments!  Maybe I'll have time to make some with the girls this year....

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1168097/handmade-ornaments/20

Not all who wander are lost.
#8 of 10 Old 12-04-2010, 04:20 AM

Last year we made ornaments from those green scrubby things you can buy to scrub pans. (These, but I used the dollar store version.)  I cut out christmas tree shapes, and then my son decorated them with string, glitter glue, sequins, buttons, etc.  They were really easy, and aside from me cutting them out, he was able to do the rest of the project all by himself. 

#9 of 10 Old 12-04-2010, 05:00 AM

My children made ornaments for the trees in their rooms.  (We don't have our big trees up yet.  Plus I 'm a bit of a control freak with our trees so it is easier to allow them to decorate their own.redface.gif)

This is really simple and something they could just do all on their own (they are 6).  They used a self hardening clay-type product (LYRA Keramiplast).  My son cut shapes (stars and penguins) and my daughter formed a bunch of geometric shapes.  After hardening, they painted them and my son made his into ornaments and my daughter strung the shapes into a  garland.  My daughter also made a hedgehog to sit under her tree.

My children hang just about anything on their trees, ornaments, toys, silly bands,  jewelry, feathers and pine cones.  They made bird nests for their trees too using twigs and clay.

They've been asking to make PB, seed, pinecones for the birds and we will probably do it this weekend.  It is snowing today so the birds will love it.  We also need to get the heaters into the bird baths!

#10 of 10 Old 12-04-2010, 10:27 PM

Here's another nice ornament project:

http://artthreads.blogspot.com/2010/11/monday-project-layered-felt-christmas.html

Not all who wander are lost.

Tags
Arts Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page