First Arts and Crafts Booth....any advice? please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-28-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you done arts and crafts fairs?  How did it go?  Do you have any tips or advice to share?

i am about to do my first booth next weekend and i am nervous.  I wonder if anyone has any tips or advice to share?  I am worried there is something that I am forgetting to think about!

My specific question is have you found it is better to have a wide variety of different items or if you prefer to make many of only a few items? 

I just don't really know what to expect, and like I said, I am nervous.  I would like to see anything anyone with experience has to say about things to keep in mind for a first arts and crafts booth!  Please and thank you.

Mama to 3 boys 

#2 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 01:05 PM

My husband and I have done a few craft fairs.  He is a glass blower and makes kid tie dyes.  I like to make greeting cards and knit hats. 

I think that you should bring a good variety of your crafts.  My husband and I both like to work on different things and just put all of our crafts together and set up.  It is nice to have the variety, so that people have options. 

Also, if you have business cards make sure and bring them!  I would give them to anyone that buys something or if someone is interested, but is not able to make a purchase that day.    If you have an etsy store or are welcome to making custom crafts let people know on your cards. 

Have fun and good luck! 

#3 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 07:02 PM

I am doing a craft fair this weekend.  I haven't done one in 7 years, though.  The first one I did, I crafted only one item and made a lot of them to sell.  Sales weren't that great.

This time, I made 6 different things, but only 3 or 4 duplicates.  I'll just have to see how this goes.  I made soy candles in decorated tins, soap with knitted wash-cloths, bean bag sets, magnet sets, decorated gift boxes, and holiday tea towels.  I'm pleased with how everything turned out, but I'm not sure which items will sell best!

I am decorating my booth with the holidays in mind. 

I don't know if any of that helps, but I wish you luck at your fair!

What are you selling, btw?? 

#4 of 5 Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies.  good luck on your show, joyfulheart.  I hope we sell everything we made!

so far, the only things I have made a variety of is: aprons- I made several half style and several full, reversible style to choose from;

purses and bags- several folklore bag purses and a few reversible christmas totes;

jewelry- i have made a lot, earrings, bracelets, and necklaces;

and napkin sets. 

Also, I made a total of 4 coats from the McCall's M5987 pattern- I think this coat is so cool with the rounded hem and the attached scarf that can be worn several ways, plus I got a great deal on fleece on Black Friday (and these are easy and quick to sew). 

I also have made several baby blankets and toddler blankets with matching little pillows and pillowcases- only because I had a ton of cute flannels stashed.

and then I made a lot of other things that I don't have a selection of: just one large set (could be sold as 2 smaller sets, I guess) of soft stacking blocks for baby; 2 soft books, one for a girl and one for a boy, some other baby toys, soft balls...  I have only made one colored pencil and one crayon roll for sale, but want to make more of these before the weekend....also have a few random garments- a child's christmas skirt (might make a couple more in other sizes, not sure), just one wrap skirt for a woman, a ladies' nightgown. 

I have some green and red corduroy, am thinking I will patchwork it today and probably make baby pants from that.  Also plan to make a ton of felt poinsettas today to glue on hair clips (might do other colored flowers on the hair clips, too) and pins and try to make napkin rings, too.  Also have four plain glasses to turn into votives/ vases with the felt poinsettas.  I also was thinking I would make a bunch of zippered bags (like cosmetic or travelling bags). 

Yesterday I stopped in the dollar tree and came out with a wreath made out of like wicker, and a "pine" garland which I wrapped around it, making a nice green wreath for $2.  I plan to adorn it with red felt poinsettas, and depending on how that looks, I am wondering if I should make several more.

so i have a hodgepodge of stuff for sure.  i just have NO IDEA what people will buy and so made a variety of items that i *think* people will like.  right now i am trying to decide how much to focus on making "christmassy" things at the last minute, like the wreaths and the red and green patchwork...kinda wondering about getting more christmas flannel to make more napkin sets.  Because on the other hand, I would like to focus on filling out the garment selection with maybe a holiday dress or 2, or more nightgowns, and a couple more wrap skirts and girly skirts.  Maybe even men's pajama pants. 

I also want to make some hankie sets for men.  I am thinking about embroidering around the perimeter and using the small alphabet on my machine to spell "bless you"- is that dumb?

So any opinions?  Should I focus on having more seasonal, "Christmas-y" type items, or on having my garment rack full with more clothes?

Mama to 3 boys 

#5 of 5 Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 PM

Wow -- what you've made sounds great!

I think having "bless you" on a hankie is clever.  I would do it!

I don't have any advice about whether to do more seasonal stuff as my experience with what sells is very limited. 

Looks like we will both be learning a lot.

Good luck!  Have fun and sell lots -- I hope!

Tags
Arts Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page