home made bean bag filling...buckwheat hulls? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to make a bean bag chair as a x-mas gift for my little one.  I would like to use a natural filling and was thinking maybe buckwheat hulls would work.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Would it be too heavy?  How many pounds wound I need to order.  Any better idea?  Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 12-14-2010, 07:24 PM

I have been wanting to make one for a while also but got stuck on what non-toxic and eco-friendly filler to use. I was thinking the same thing as you or maybe shredded latex too? We have shredded latex pillows that are nice. I wonder if the bean bag would mold as nicely though as the buckwheat hulls might? Sorry I don't have any answers. Post back if you do make yours. I'd love to hear how it went.

Mama to Kage (12/07) and Ember (6/09)
#3 of 5 Old 12-15-2010, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

I hadn't thought of latex, I'm gonna look into that more.  I wonder how much it would cost?  I talked to a friend who makes meditation pillows and she said the buck wheat would make a very heavy bean bag ( a small meditation pillow could weigh 5 lbs)  She suggested kapok, but that would make a firmer chair that was less bean bag like.  I put the project off for now, because I just haven't found a good solution.

#4 of 5 Old 11-30-2011, 08:44 AM

I've thought about popped corn, or straw, but I'm not sure how long they'd last,  I'd anticipate having to change the filling from time to time.  And I'm sure that with the straw it would need a few extra layers of fabric so that you're not uncomfortable.  Does anyone have ideas on this?

#5 of 5 Old 11-30-2011, 08:53 AM

I just found a site that recommends cedar wood shavings.  That's what I've decided to try.

Tags
Arts Crafts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page