Converting doll pattern to button jointed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-13-2010, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wanted to order a button doll kit from Weir, but it's sold out.  Magic Cabin has a non-jointed kit in stock, and I was wondering if it would be possible to convert it to a button doll.

Do you think it will have enough fabric to account for the extra seams for the joints?  Any suggestions on converting it?  Basic instructions or free patterns for making joints?

Thanks!

#2 of 3 Old 12-14-2010, 10:07 AM

have you tried ordering from another site besides weir?  The doll kits they sell are from Joy's waldorf dolls and there are other websites that also sell them like "a child's dream."

http://www.achildsdream.com/doll_making/joys_waldorf_dolls_kits.htm

Weir has great customer service and I've not ordered from a child's dream, but if they have the pattern you like best, its worth a try.

I have only made Dancing Rain Doll's pattern (no longer in business) but unless these patterns are different, I don't believe the amount of fabric would be different at all.  The DRD pattern gives you the option of doing a button joint or a sewn on arm.  The arm itself is just attached one of two ways, but the fabric used is the same.  The DRD pattern did recommend that you do the sewn on arms for younger children because the button joints are more fragile and don't wear as well FWIW.

There are tons of tutorials online about how to button joint.  If you google "how to do a button jointed arm" you'll see a ton. 

XOXO

B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#3 of 3 Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  I thought Weir and Joy's was the same company so I didn't think to shop elsewhere.  Good to know it won't take extra fabric.  Thanks for all the tips, I can't wait to start sewing.  It's been 2 years since I've made a waldorf doll; this will be a great re-learning experience.  :)

Tags
Arts Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page