Making Wool Softer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 12 Old 12-14-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
 
EmyAndBabes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am crocheting a pair of longies for my LO but the wool is insanely scratchy and itchy!  What can I do to make it softer without hindering the absorbancy?  Will lanolizing it help, a conditioner rinse?  It's really really scratchy!

EmyAndBabes is offline  
#2 of 12 Old 12-14-2010, 05:24 PM
 
Think of Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: By the Shore
Posts: 2,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That might help, but I think it's unlikely that either treatment will convert "insanely scratchy" wool into good longies.  I'd stop now and crochet up a little square (do you have a gauge square?) and try soaking it in conditioner, and lanolizing to see if it's worth continuing.  What kind of wool are you using?

 

I just noticed that this is your first post!  Welcome! 

Think of Winter is offline  
#3 of 12 Old 12-16-2010, 04:10 PM
 
Knittin' in the Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: near Philly, PA
Posts: 4,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

what yarn is it?  usually, you can get scratchy yarn to behave a bit better with a nice long soak in a tepid bath with some hair conditioner (wool is just sheep hair, after all) but if it's super, horribly itchy then you might want to find another project for it. 

Knittin' in the Shade is offline  
#4 of 12 Old 12-16-2010, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
EmyAndBabes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

yeah, i tried softening up my gauge swatch and blech, it's no good, so I'm ripping it out and I'll felt some coffee cozys with it instead...I'll have to make a trip out of town to find some decent wool I guess.  It's something from my wool stash but the label is gone so I don't know what it is.  I don't have a LYS around!  Sucko

Thanks for the welcome!

EmyAndBabes is offline  
#5 of 12 Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 PM
 
honeybunmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,748
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

You might also want to check out The Book of Wool for a cheat sheet of what wools work best for close to skin wear.  I spent money on some handspun romney, I think it was, with the intention of knitting a sweater for my then soon to be 1 year old.  Not a wise choice, I later discovered!  Just not recommended for next to skin wear.  Live and learn!


Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
honeybunmom is online now  
#6 of 12 Old 03-05-2011, 01:59 AM
 
Abiopsahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alaska
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey my favorite yarn for kids and babies close to body wear is Dream in Color yarn. My son who has some medical issues which for a long time caused him what is called touch averison(sp) would wear pants and sweaters next to his skin made of this and many of them are still his favorites. He is actually jealous of his new baby sister this year as mommy has been making most of the knit things for her. He keeps telling me this ones mine mommy! Currently working on a new sweater for him. We're in Alaska so wool is kind of a year round thing for us.

Abiopsahl is offline  
#7 of 12 Old 03-05-2011, 08:26 AM
 
Casha'sMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lovin' that windy skyline!
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Abiopsahl View Post

Hey my favorite yarn for kids and babies close to body wear is Dream in Color yarn. My son who has some medical issues which for a long time caused him what is called touch averison(sp) would wear pants and sweaters next to his skin made of this and many of them are still his favorites. He is actually jealous of his new baby sister this year as mommy has been making most of the knit things for her. He keeps telling me this ones mine mommy! Currently working on a new sweater for him. We're in Alaska so wool is kind of a year round thing for us.



Have you used this successfully for wool dipe covers by any chance?

Casha'sMommy is offline  
#8 of 12 Old 03-05-2011, 04:58 PM
 
Llyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: right here
Posts: 9,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My go-to yarns for soakers and longies are:
Patons Classic Wool
Plymouth Galway
Cascade 220

.I actually like the Patons best-- it's a bit fluffy and softer to my touch. And it's cheap, and I can get it at the big box craft stores. But the Cascade 220 wears the best. None of them are really extremely soft (really soft yarns seem to get pilly and not wear well), but they're comfortable next to the skin. And they're even more comfortable with a good wash and some lanolin. The lanolin really seems to help, although it won't solve a really extremely itchy-scratchy problem.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Llyra is offline  
#9 of 12 Old 03-05-2011, 08:27 PM
 
Casha'sMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lovin' that windy skyline!
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post

My go-to yarns for soakers and longies are:
Patons Classic Wool
Plymouth Galway
Cascade 220

.I actually like the Patons best-- it's a bit fluffy and softer to my touch. And it's cheap, and I can get it at the big box craft stores. But the Cascade 220 wears the best. None of them are really extremely soft (really soft yarns seem to get pilly and not wear well), but they're comfortable next to the skin. And they're even more comfortable with a good wash and some lanolin. The lanolin really seems to help, although it won't solve a really extremely itchy-scratchy problem.


Patons is my go-to yarn of choice for longies as well. I just bought some bamboo ewe and am hoping for the best.

 

Casha'sMommy is offline  
#10 of 12 Old 03-06-2011, 11:27 PM
 
Abiopsahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alaska
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Casha's Mommy, Just lanolized my first pair of longies made of Dream in color  and a soaker made of Casscade 220 last night and tried them today. My 11mth old has been slightly off her feed the last few days so don't know if I gave it an actual good test as I'm not sure if they were working great or she was just urinating less than normal. I only had to change her 6 times today and though for her nap I put her in disposables as I just pulled the baby be completely apart and washed everything so didn't want to have to do it all over again. She usually goes through 15 or so diapers a day, sometimes more. We did have one slight leek thru with the Cascade 220(but she had been sitting in her bouncy seat for an hour and 30mins, She loves that thing. But not a bad one and had none with the Dream in color. Still waiting to see how I really like them. I also currently have  a soaker that is made of Lion Brands Fishermen's Wool soaking right now in an old farms pattern from the 1940's I think, the one out of Knitting America. I thought the yarn was too ruff but after experiencing how soft the tsp and 1/2 of lanolin and a small squirt of baby shampoo made the other's I figured I would give that one a soak tonight and let it dry tommorrow and see ho w it turns out as well. Hope this helps and will keep everyone posted on the results. If I could just get her to stand still long enough for some pics I would post them, But she just learned to walk Feb 16 and she is a little walking wizz right now:-) I've also been trying traditional Birdseye flat folds against a few of some more expensive cloth diapers at the same time. I think it will take me a while to figure out what I like.

Abiopsahl is offline  
#11 of 12 Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 AM
 
Casha'sMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lovin' that windy skyline!
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Abiopsahl View Post

Casha's Mommy, Just lanolized my first pair of longies made of Dream in color  and a soaker made of Casscade 220 last night and tried them today. My 11mth old has been slightly off her feed the last few days so don't know if I gave it an actual good test as I'm not sure if they were working great or she was just urinating less than normal. I only had to change her 6 times today and though for her nap I put her in disposables as I just pulled the baby be completely apart and washed everything so didn't want to have to do it all over again. She usually goes through 15 or so diapers a day, sometimes more. We did have one slight leek thru with the Cascade 220(but she had been sitting in her bouncy seat for an hour and 30mins, She loves that thing. But not a bad one and had none with the Dream in color. Still waiting to see how I really like them. I also currently have  a soaker that is made of Lion Brands Fishermen's Wool soaking right now in an old farms pattern from the 1940's I think, the one out of Knitting America. I thought the yarn was too ruff but after experiencing how soft the tsp and 1/2 of lanolin and a small squirt of baby shampoo made the other's I figured I would give that one a soak tonight and let it dry tommorrow and see ho w it turns out as well. Hope this helps and will keep everyone posted on the results. If I could just get her to stand still long enough for some pics I would post them, But she just learned to walk Feb 16 and she is a little walking wizz right now:-) I've also been trying traditional Birdseye flat folds against a few of some more expensive cloth diapers at the same time. I think it will take me a while to figure out what I like.


I've never had a true leak using woo but I've also never used anything but Patons wool. I'm very pleased with it.

fwiw, I LOVE LOVE LOVE flat folds. They are one of my fave dipes. I only have a few and keep meaning to order more. Must add this to my to-do list. lol

 

Casha'sMommy is offline  
#12 of 12 Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 PM
 
Abiopsahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alaska
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can now say have used it successfully for cloth diapering. It's actully working even better than the other two. No leak thrus even with really wet diapers. Haven't gotten the nerve up yet to try them at night. Hate the thought of losing sleep due to changing all of baby and baby's bedclothes to if it leaks.

Abiopsahl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off