Cinnamon dough to make ornaments? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-18-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

When I was a kid, my mom made cinnamon scented ornaments with us. I asked her and she told me that it was a salt/flour dough recipe with a ton of cinnamon added in. She baked them afterwards to harden them. Googling pulled up a few results with a salt dough and also a few with applesauce in the dough.

I'm thinking about making some and squishing my toddler's handprint into them and sending them to family members as a little Christmas present. (Yeah I'm really a bit low on time....) I'm wondering if anyone has experience with either types of doughs and have input on which would be durable enough to be mailed and maybe even dropped once or twice?

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#2 of 4 Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We made some like that in my ds's preschool about 4 years ago, using salt dough with cinnamon. They didn't seem very durable and I think his broke that year. Good luck!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#3 of 4 Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 PM

We made the ones with applesauce in my son's 1st grade class. He is in 8th now and we still have it. I wouldn't mail it unprotected because of the mail machines but it should be able to withstand some rough handling. Ours survived a house fire.
#4 of 4 Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 AM

If you're not dead set on using salt dough you can buy this stuff called Model Magic and use that for a handprint.  It's really easy to work with, *extremely* light (good for ornaments and/or mailing) and relatively inexpensive.  I've seen it for sale at Hobby Lobby and Michael's and I know that Amazon sells it - so it's not difficult to find.

I've used it for handprints.  Make a ball and start gently making it flatter (not too much, though), then push the hand in.  If you don't like the handprint - try again.  If you want it to be an ornament you'll want to use a straw or something to make the hole while it's still pliable.  FWIW, it's MUCH easier to do little kid hand prints with a second set of hands there!  It's an air-dry product so you just leave it out and it will harden.

UGH - I just noticed this is an old thread!  Anyway, it's still a good product!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012

Tags
Arts Crafts , Food Items

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page