Mothering Forum banner

52 Project Challenge, 2011

20K views 426 replies 32 participants last post by  zebra15 
#1 ·
SO --- This was so popular and successful in 2010, I think it's time to start a new thread for 2011.

Those of us who craft tend to accumulate stashes of projects to complete, and UFOs (Unfinished Objects), etc. We'd all like to finish them ... but they can feel overwhelming! I think those of us who participated last year found our thread very motivational and supportive as we all worked towards this goal.

Is anyone else up for a challenge? One project a week, we can report back here about what we've finished each week. Kudos for those who work ahead (and demerits for any 'new' projects we add to the stash) -

So for example, if I sew three projects Week 1, I am at 49/52. If in Week 2, I sew a project but buy two new projects, then I am at 50/52 in Week 2. The object is to finish what we have, and avoid increasing our stash.

Bonus points for "upcycling" items - old tshirts into PJs for kids, or old sweaters into wool longies, etc.

C'mon, folks - let's motivate each other!

#3 ·
I am in again. For me, its not about 52 projects (there is no way thats going to happen) and my projects go beyond typical crafts. But thats ok, this is a place for me to be accountable and to keep track of a few things. I have several WIP's (works in process) that I would love to complete this year. I posted a list on the 2010 thread. I will try to update things this week when I organize my 'crafting area'.

Happy New Year everyone. Welcome back to the 2010 bunch and Welcome to the new joiners!

#4 ·
Im in! I have a bunch of projects though most of them Ill have to get something for since Ive pretty much killed my fabric stash. I try not to buy fabric unless its for a specific project. I have several projects I need to finish for the upcoming baby. Feb-August will be SLOW though, Feb Im due with our newest blessing then we move in May. I do want to make something special to frame for the new house. Ive been meaning to do some decoration but, alas, my walls are still bare. I don't even have family pictures up, now that really is kind of sad.

For Jan I hope to finish:

the red nursing dress I found that I had forgot I had started. Its almost done.

the purple skirt that I started and found alongside the red dress. Im bad at not finishing projects for myself. I did get the elastic needed.

purple top to match the skirt

flower skirt I was suppose to make for an anniversary dinner that we never went on

red top to match flower skirt

knitted booties and beanie for the coming home outfit.. thats if I can decide which outfit to use as a coming home outfit.

A few small baby projects Ive been meaning to do. Nursing cover, diaper changing kit, hospital gown, car seat blanket

Birthday items for my oldest: birthday dress, birthday skirt/top for her party, purse, camera case, hair tie organizer

Im going to try to be better at posting pictures as well. I started well but didn't finish well, I always forget to post pictures.

#5 ·
Transferring my list from the other thread:

Finish Cowichan sweater for DH

Finish Tea Leaves sweater for me

Thorpe hat for A

Acorns sweater for me

Thrummed mittens for A

Thrummed mittens for L

Finish longies for DF's daughter

Finish scrappy longies

Blue corduroy dress for A

Red pants for A

Repurpose blue and white men's shirt into something for the girls

Make birthday crown for A

Make gift bags from scrap fabric

Finish hats for baby

Plus a few others:

Felted soaps

Make garlands out of painted wooden hearts and stars and felted beads

Finish knitted dishcloth

Gift for midwives

Felted iPod cozy

Hanging baskets for cloth wipes

Cascade sweater for Faye

Hooded alpaca sweater for Faye

#6 ·
Here's my list so far:

1. Waldorf Doll
2. Handdyed Playsilks
3. Thumbless Mittens for my son
4. Sweet Pea Baby Blanket for my nephew (needs to be done by April)
5. Fragrance Rocks
6. Homemade Deodarant
7. Felted Acorns
8. Embroidery Sampler
9. Ishbel for midwife who delivered my son
10. Finish my Kai-Mei socks
11. Cozy Wall Pockets from Handmade Home (?)
12. Montague Bulky Lace Vest from New England Knits (??? I don't like the ones I saw on Ravelry... :-\)
13. Northhampton Kerchief from New England Knits
14. Homemade Vanilla Extract
15. Lemon Balm Tincture
16. Calendula Tincture
17. Facial Toner
18. Felted Playmat for W
19. Felted Sweater Wreath/Garland
20. Rag rug (??)
21. Weewonderfuls Stuffed Bunny
22. Wool roving rug
23. Hemlock Ring Blanket
24. Felted flower for Lori
25. Yarn wreath
26. Handspun yarn for XXX (gift)
27. corn bags
28. homemade root beer
29. apricot brandy
30. herbal honey
31. soy wax crayons
32. Homemade Candy (possible holiday gift 2011?)
33. dog sweater (gift)
34. Laminaria
35. pomatomus socks
36. Ester or Pimlico Shrug (knit)
37. Wool Dryer Balls
38. Destroyed Cowl
39. Socks for Mom
40. Fingerless Gloves for the postman
41. "Something" for my husband (he has yet to decide ::))
42. Phat Fiber Samples for February
43. January Podcast

ideas that need fleshing out:

felt or amigurumi food
holiday ornaments for family

#8 ·
I'm in. I actually started this on my own in May and finished about 20 projects in 24 weeks and then November and December hit and it's been nothing. To make room for my new baby I had to go through 20 years worth of started, but not finished sewing projects! Let's just say that if I finished 1/week for a year, I wouldn't have been done. I can try again in the new year. For me, it's just finishing what I started! That doesn't even count planned projects!

#9 ·
I'd love to join in, not sure I'll make 52, but it's worth a shot!

3 pairs of pj pants-one for each kiddo

shawl for me

something for a friend having a baby out of yarn I already own

finish hat for friends daughter

hat for FIL

#10 ·
I want to join! I don't have many unfinished projects because I finished a bunch off before the holidays but I have TONS of material, yarn and notions. I want to cut down my stash to a more manageable amount. A few projects I would like to make this year:

1. Quilted picnic blanket using a ton of scrap fabric and half of a popped air mattress (waterproof backing!)
  2. Wool booties for DS
  3. Larger fitted diapers for DS
  4. Reusable coffee sleeves for friends and family
  5. Lots of crocheted and knitted projects to get my yarn stash down to one bin (I have three +)
  6. Quilted blanket for niece
  7. Spin the rest of the fiber I have on hand

I'm thinking those will be a good start for the first few months of 2011! Also, are we posting pictures of projects?

#11 ·
There is a bunch of stuff you can do with small fabric pieces. Ill have to try to find the site but I use to (before my computer killed itself and had to be replaced :() have one that gave 50 different projects you can do with fabric scraps. I need to find it anyway since it has the luggage tag tutorial I want to use to make the tags for our luggage. The ones we have right now have been through too many flights and are a little ragged. I did get a reminder from my daughter I need to work on her baby doll Ive been promising her, so I need to add that to the list.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

There is a bunch of stuff you can do with small fabric pieces. Ill have to try to find the site but I use to (before my computer killed itself and had to be replaced :() have one that gave 50 different projects you can do with fabric scraps. I need to find it anyway since it has the luggage tag tutorial I want to use to make the tags for our luggage. The ones we have right now have been through too many flights and are a little ragged. I did get a reminder from my daughter I need to work on her baby doll Ive been promising her, so I need to add that to the list.

this site?

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreengirl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

this site?
Thats it! Thanks! You saved me from having to find it myself.

#14 ·
Oh my god! Me me me! This group was made for me I swear lol. I'm in!

My list in no particular order:

-finish knitted blanket for DS

-waldorf doll

-finish knitted sweater for DS

-design and build play kitchen

-design and build step stool

-finish embroidery on a PJ's case

-crochet dishcloths

-play food for said play kitchen

-memory art in frames

-reusable napkins for family

-art for DH's office cubicle lol!

-use up my yarn stash...

-sew pants for DS

-make babylegs out of socks

-put together bed for DS's room

-organize and decorate DS's room

-possibly making baby clothes....! :O

I'll add to this when I think of more.

#15 ·
I'm in for another year!
thumb.gif

Last year, the challenge was instrumental in getting projects finished around our house. I am not super strict that they have to be "craft" projects. My criteria is that it is a project that has been hanging around for awhile and needs to be finished. I have a two-page list upstairs that I go over once or twice a month. I'd love to get it down to ONE page this year!

I photographed most of the 50+ projects I completed last year, but I didn't always post here. I posted on facebook sometimes instead. My friends have been very supportive, too.
joy.gif

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapoli View Post

I'm in! Should we post out "to make" lists, or just keep track of finished projects here? This thread will be a great motivator!
If it helps you to post a list here then go for it. Whatever works (as you can see, some post lists). I usually post an update of what I completed, and what I plan for the next week. For instance, this week the goal is to make two simple lap quilts for my dds (I hoped to do them today at least partially but somehow ended up in the kitchen making all sorts of treats instead).

So nice to see so many new faces, and so many familiar faces from last year's thread! I'm looking forward to a productive year!
joy.gif

#18 ·
This week I'm working on turning old tank tops into scrubby dishcloths. One tank top, cut into strips and connected to make yarn makes one 4 inch square dishcloth. I used one last night and it worked awesome! They are super fast to make so I'm counting them as one project. I think I have a total of 8 tank tops to transform. Should be easy to get those all done this week. I'll try to post a picture of them when I get the chance.

#19 ·
I've finished two projects so far this year!
smile.gif

Infant Thumbless Mittens

5254109214_cfb4254c59_m.jpg

Wool Dryer Balls - I think I'm going to make plenty of these to put in gift baskets for the 2011 holidays.

5312659139_be1d720e3e_m.jpg

5312660379_7600414495_m.jpg

50 more to go!

#20 ·
Me! Last year was awesome in reducing my stash of everything. This year should help me really get down there- but it probably won't be as much fun since I have used all my favorites! I did get a little new yarn though for Christmas so that is kind of fun!

1. finish cowl for me Done!

2. finish shawl for me (just has the edging left- but it freaks me out cause I have never done it like that before)- less freaky since I read the directions!- DONE!

3. Upholster DD's barbie couch- DONE!

4. make a million cloth diapers for DS3 (this will count for more than 1 project though)

5. make a wall quilt for our dining room (we really need this)

6. paint bathroom

7. paint craft room

8. artwork for bathroom

9. flannel wall board for craft room

10. flannel crib sheets

11. flannel napkins

12. sew storage baskets for dining hutch.

13. knit and felt mittens for DD and DS1-1 Set DONE for DS!

14. knit new nursing pads for me-DONE!

15. finsih quilt for our bedroom (this will count as more than 1 since I have to applique half the blocks and then assemble and then quilt the whold queen sized thing!)

16. thrummed mittens for me!

17. hang pictures in our bedroom- half done.

There- that is quite a list!

#21 ·
I'd love to join in, not sure I'll make 52, but it's worth a shot!

3 pairs of pj pants-one for each kiddo

shawl for me http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/la-las-simple-shawl with some changes in stitches

something for a friend having a baby out of yarn I already own
probably http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-sachiko-kimono-sweater and http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pixie-hat-in-bunny-hop

finish hat for friends daughter

hat for FIL

hat for me

hat for daughter

another hat for DS1?

quilt labrynth http://rhythmofthehome.com/winter-2010/fabric-labyrinth-children/

set of wood ducks and a fox a'la WeeFolkArt (going to be brave, I can't wait to use my new scroll saw!) http://weefolkart.com/content/book-nook-have-you-seen-my-duckling going to have to design my own fox unless I can find a pattern some where

#22 ·
I'm definitely in!! I started this last year, got side tracked mid-year, and finished my holiday crafting just in time for Christmas. I'm currently at my IL's, so I don't have my list handy, but I know for sure that it totaled more than 52 projects. Off the top of my head~

-toddler backpack for DD2

-crayon roll for DD2

-4 quilted hot pads for MIL

-knit hat for BIL
-grill roll and mitt for FIL
-2 quilted rugs for kitchen

-4 prs knit boot socks (1 pr for each kid)

-finish quilt for DH (just have the binding left)

-6 knit dishcloths for me

-4 rag quilts (1 for each child, this is their b-day gifts for this year)

-knit sleepy sack for babe due in April (this is about 1/2 done)

-3 throw pillows for living room

-3 sets of curtains (2 for office/ studio, 1 for utility room/ basement area)

-2 drainboard mats for my kitchen

-finish appliques on girls' room curtains

-sew boys' room curtains

-finish border on bathroom rag rug

-knit t-shirt yarn rug for master bath

-set of 12 cloth napkins

-3 tablerunners

-3 wall hangings

-knit 2 prs fingerless mitts

-3 burlap buckets

-hobby horse for DD2

-knit baby booties

-3 corduroy jumpers for DD1

-2 Easter bonnets

-4 felt birthday crowns

-1 dozen small diapers

-convert 1 dozen pfs to prefitteds

-baby shower gifts for my cousin due in June

#23 ·
OK I'm inspired and have started!

My projects so far:

5 embroidery samplers

felt barrettes

felt happy birthday banner for son's 1st

felt crowns for for son's birthday and his best friend (they are a week apart, having their b-day party together)

knit a sweater for Rowan

make a bunch of parrot foot toys (for my parrots)

fimo candle holder

walking stick (carving and wood burning)

rune set (wood burning)

pouch for runes (embroidery and sewing)

wand (applying crystal points to wood, wrapping, and embellishment)

that's it for now, but it is only the 1st of January!
ROTFLMAO.gif

And I have made rogress on the banner- I have all the pieces cut and have started to assemble & embroider them! Will be done in plenty of time for his party at this rate!

#25 ·
Project #1 is finished!
love.gif

I have a book that I love called Aromatherapy through the Seasons where the authors offer a handful of recipes for each month of the year. There is one main essential oil focus each month for general purposes (health, home, etc) and then a special EO each month (emotional bonus blends). One of my goals this year is to use this book more, so I mixed up two of the general recipes for January using eucalyptus (flu-fighter, we're getting over the flu here, and an antiseptic spray) and used the first one three ways already (bath, diffuser, chest/back salve). I used up my last spray (ant repellent...we live in a warm climate and just had an attack at Christmas) cleaning up the kitchen and bathrooms today, so I'm ready to put the new antiseptic spray in that bottle in the morning (after it air dries). I also mixed up one of the special blends (also a spray) for January using bergamot and lavender...smells soooo divine!

I researched in my aromatherapy books and online rejuvenating carrier oils, hydrosols, and essential oils. Then, I mixed up my own facial toner/mist and eye oil blend and general facial cream. My eye oil blend was completely out and that was my main intention when I set forth. In my reading, I discovered certain items that were particularly good for the face and I happened to have them in hydrosols, so I was inspired to create a new one to use (main ingredient is my favorite rosewater). My eye oil blend was too full for the bottle and I needed to thin it out a bit still, so I added a pipette-full of the mixture up to that point to my plain coconut oil I've been using for all-over my face and then didn't like the scent, so I added some EOs. Then, I went back to the eye oil blend to thin it out and got creative there. All of this took me hours today, but it was lots of fun!
joy.gif

#26 ·
I have my work cut out for me this weekend. I bought a new desk Saturday that needs to be assembled. But before that can happen I need to clear off the old table that was serving as the 'desk' plus clean out that area of my room. This must be completed by 5pm Sunday. The desk is "L" shaped so its really 2 desks plus a connector piece. Sunday is going to be a long day, but hopefully my desk area will be workable and I will be happier.

I will take a point when this is done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.