Is spinning hard? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My mom is sending me about 30 pounds of angora wool...straight from her goats.  I fully understand (and am confident that I can handle) the carding, roving and drafting, but the actual spinning part with a drop spindle intimidates me for some reason.  She really wants an angora blanket from her goats for next christmas....so at least i have time to learn!  but then again, i still have to know how to knit!  but, first thing is first...spinning the wool.  how quickly do you get the hang of this?  i think i can get it all prepped for spinning fairly quickly as this is brainless but albeit time consuming.  the idea of spinning, on the other hand, sounds excruciatingly long and treasures consistency of thickness and texture.....hence by apprehension!   any words of advice?

DD5, DS3...Montessori since 8/2010
Bradenton, Florida
#2 of 7 Old 01-08-2011, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I would suggest you get a drop spindle and some wool to try spinning before you attempt to spin angora. A yarn of 100% angora seems like it would be very frustrating to work with, especially for a beginner! Most angora yarns I have worked with are blended with wool and sometimes some nylon to make them easier to knit with.

Take some time to learn how to spin your own wool from roving comfortably before you try with your mother's precious fleece. Once you are comfortable spinning wool (a much easier fibre to work with) try the angora. As your mom if the blanket has to be 100% angora or if she would be okay with a blend. You might find you have better success by spinning the angora with some merino (a very, very soft wool.)

When you are ready to learn to knit I would suggest that you start with some simple wool for that too. Angora sheds like crazy and seems like a poor choice for a learn to knit project, especially when it is handspun and very valuable to the person who gave it to you.

#3 of 7 Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the thorough response.  I'm going to meeting with some people from the local weaver's guild who spin on a regular basis and they will help me delve into this a little further.  It all depends on the angora, they said, so at least its someone local who I can bring the roving to to see what steps I should take.

wishing myself luck on this one!

Bradenton, Florida
#4 of 7 Old 01-22-2011, 01:45 PM

If you don't know about the video "Respect the Spindle" then you should get your self a copy. It is an exellent resource to get you started. Ravelry has many spinning boards as well. I know you posted at the beginning of tne month, I am really curious how it's going.....update please......? innocent.gif

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

#5 of 7 Old 01-22-2011, 03:33 PM

Angora doesn't come from goats... headscratch.gif
#6 of 7 Old 01-22-2011, 03:48 PM

There are Angora rabbits and Angora goats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angora_goat

#7 of 7 Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mohair comes form angora goats....angora rabits and angora goats originated in Turkey, ankara region (ankara somehow was translated to angora).

Bradenton, Florida

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page