To felt or not to felt? Wool soakers. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-10-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I bought a huge wool sweater from the thrift store to make soakers and/or longies and felted it first.  I did it twice, thinking it should be reeeally felted.  Now it's too small and thick to use! 

I've seen a couple people online saying you don't even need to felt the sweater first.  You can just cut it and sew and it's fine.

Can anyone here testify they've done that and it works before I go and wreck another sweater?! I'm trying to save money here, and although they're only thrift store ones, the money adds up!

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-23-2011, 05:21 PM

Hey momma! I use recycled wool almost exclusively and the only time I felt it is for night time longies and soakers... A ppositive about felting before tho is just incase it does get thrown in the wash it generally wont reck it...But back to the point no you dont need to felt for them to be effective.

#3 of 7 Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 AM

lurk.gif  I have a sweater I bought at resale that I want to make into a pair of wool longies, but I can't figure out what to do with them to get them to fit well or sew properly.  Kind of having a duh time with it.  Can I ask what pattern you're using?  I know it's not the original content, so pm me if you prefer.  TIA!!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#4 of 7 Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 AM

And I felted once on mine, and it seemed softer, but I kind of wish I had felted another time because it's not quite soft enough. irked.gif

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#5 of 7 Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

This is what I wanted to do:

http://www.naturalfamilycrafts.com/2008/02/felted-wool-soaker-shorts-capris-and.html

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#6 of 7 Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 AM

Thanks for sharing the website!  I like it!

Maybe felt once next time, then lanolize a lot for more softness?  I don't know....I'm in the beginning here with you, so not much help.  Sorry!

#7 of 7 Old 01-24-2011, 04:54 PM

I think lanolizing properly is more important than felting; but honestly wool all by itself will do the job. It's more important to lanolize if you're going to be using it for overnight or for times where you might get pressure wicking (ie car rides).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page