Bamboo Knitting Needles....how do you tell them apart? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-15-2011, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just bought some, but there is no size indicator on them!  So, if you have more than one pair, how do you remember which is which?

DD5, DS3...Montessori since 8/2010
Bradenton, Florida
#2 of 8 Old 01-15-2011, 07:23 AM

well sometime you can tell just by the difference in size but the best -more sure method would be to pick up a little gauge thing- not sure what its actually called but it has a row of little holes with the size printed above it. you just stick the needle in question in the hole and the one that fits it is it' s size. you can be sure cause if you try to stick it in the one smaller it just won't fit. they usually also have a spot to measure your gauge when you swatch. i hope that makes sense.

#3 of 8 Old 01-15-2011, 10:42 AM
rn

I agree with pp. those little gauge thingies are great. 

I also try (doesnt always work) to keep needles I buy in the original package which has the size on them. 

#4 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 07:21 AM

My bamboo needles have size guages on them, but if they didn't, I'd be inclined to mark them with a dot of nailpolish, with one color for each size. I keep all of my needles together in a zippered pencil case, so I'd probably then attach a key to the case.

ETA: Using different colored Sharpie markers would also work, I would think.

#5 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

i got a little guage thing.  i just dont understand why it would be so hard for them to carve the size into the end of the needle :)

DD5, DS3...Montessori since 8/2010
Bradenton, Florida
#6 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 PM

All  my bamboo needles the size is laser etched in the side. I got a knitting accessory kits and it had a plastic needle gage card and I was wondering why I would need that if all the needles are marked but now I know they aren't all marked!

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#7 of 8 Old 01-31-2011, 01:08 PM

This bugs me on circulars, too. My Addi turbos don't have the size on them-- I have 7s, 8s, 9s, 10s and it's so tedious trying to keep track of which is which.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#8 of 8 Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM

IMO having a knitting gauge is indispensable.  I have a large collection of different brands and types of needles and the printed size doesn't always match the actual measurement, I have some Boyles that are really off. Plus I have some antique Canadian/British needles which have a totally different numbering system, to the US/metric sizing.  I always double check the gauge on those ones.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page