I need cute baby boy patterns! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-18-2011, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We just had our 20 week ultrasound, and... boy! So. I've managed to find a couple of basic patterns (Butterick and McCalls) for button-down shirts, which I love on little boys. But I can't find much else in the way of snazzy/cute/vintagey clothes. You can buy actual vintage patterns online, but they don't have snaps to fasten the crotch, which is really non-negotiable for rompers and onesies. I looked up Oliver + S, which I love for fancy patterns, but they didn't have much for boys and what they did have was fairly plain; not really worth paying extra for, honestly.

So, any links to little indie clothing designers or Etsy pattern-makers - or even just cute Simplicity or Butterick patterns or whatever? I love slightly old-fashioned, quirky little things like sailor suits and puffy rompers, and I'm interested in 0-6 month sizes.

Thanks! My Google-fu is failing me. I know boys' clothing patterns are harder to come by than girls', but this is ridiculous. And they don't have Ottobre here...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You can get back issues of Ottobre on ebay and etsy.  Those patterns are great!  

#3 of 20 Old 01-18-2011, 11:21 PM

Yeah, let me know if you find anything fun.  I ran up against a brick wall when I was pg.  They just don't design for little boys.  And I can't find ANY patterns between toddler and adult size for little boys.  Everything is girls. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 20 Old 01-21-2011, 06:21 AM

New conceptions has a great basic onsie pattern if you have a serger - it is quick and easy.  I think they have some other layette type items as well. http://www.newconceptions.com/onehour.htm

For older guys (like 12+ months) Oliver + S has some cute patterns, they are just kind of expensive.  

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#5 of 20 Old 01-30-2011, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I love Fishsticks Designs on Hyena Cart! The stuff is pretty simple/basic but they're well made patterns, fit my kids great, and are super cute! http://hyenacart.com/stores/FishsticksDesigns/ I have the Charlie Tee, Patrick raglan, AJ pants, and the little one layette. I haven't tried making anything from the layette yet since my kids are big. I asked for it for Christmas so I could make gifts for friends having babies, and I'm sure I'll produce another kid eventually :D 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#6 of 20 Old 01-30-2011, 05:34 PM

I second Ottobre.  You can go on their website and see what's in each issue, before you buy.

Children's Corner has some fussy stuff, but they have some cute basics, too.

Are you on Sew Mama Sew or Sewing Mamas? Both sites have forums which are very helpful.  Sewing Mamas' forum is busier, but they're both nice.

It's sad that there isn't much out there.  I sew a ton for my DD, and my DS has just started to notice and get upset by it.  So now I'm making him a pile of shirts... because, really, what else is there to sew a 2yo boy in fun fabrics?  They're soooo boring.  I wish there were more cute styles that are popular and not a PITA to sew!

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#7 of 20 Old 01-30-2011, 05:38 PM

Oh, I just saw that you actually are interested in the "fussy stuff."  Definitely check out Children's Corner.

Check out Wendy Schoen Design and Michee Mooney.  Also, this link has some of the smaller heirloom designers: http://www.baltazor.com/Patterns_Just_Boys.html

Sew Beautiful magazine have a boy project or two every issue, too.  Some of them are really sweet.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#8 of 20 Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas! I managed to find a few cuteish, fairly basic patterns from Butterick and McCalls - just little shirts and rompers. Then Mum gave ma this CUTE vintage pattern of shirts with sailor collars that button to shorts. And I've found a few patterns online that I'll buy as soon as I get more money in my PayPal account. I really love the Daniel romper someone linked to!

So I don't have a huge selection, but I have a bit to start with. I've already bought some fabrics and started cutting things out - now, if only I could stop feeling sick and tired all the time, so I could sew them! And my mother is knitting some little pants... and I'm knitting a kimono top and just finished a hat... so the baby won't be totally naked, at least. :)

#9 of 20 Old 02-05-2011, 08:08 AM

OP, I love your signature.  No help on the boy patterns, other than to second the Ottobre recommendation.

#10 of 20 Old 02-06-2011, 10:32 PM

Ditto Daddy has a onesie that is fantastic with cloth diapers.  Instead of snapping at the crotch, the back comes back up through the legs and snaps up on the tummy.  My daughter and my son's gf both love those onesies much more than the other ones.  They're easier to close and don't pop open from pressure like some others.

Hancock's and other places have snap tape you can get and sew on your clothing if you don't have snaps.  There's a store called Assunta that sells a hand snap plier set you can use for poly resin snaps - those are the ones you see on the cloth diapers and such.  The proceeds from the store go to a couple who opened an orphanage in China - they're Americans who are on a mission over there.  She sends the stuff direct from the supplier, which makes prices better.  I've been getting things from her for a few years and am satisfied with her product and service.

Here's a link to her store -http://www.mothering.com/forum/www.assuntastore.com/  I use those snaps on baby clothes, diapers, and clothes for my 11 grandkids as well as for the pads I make and sell, unpaper towels, and lots of other stuff.  She also sells a professional snap press that hubby got for me and I love it.

You can get a subscription to Ottobre magazine from The Wooly Thread -  http://woolythread.com  Go to the Magazines page and you'll find them there.  If you don't want a subscription, you can either order single issues from the site or from Ebay - they come directly from Finland.  They have some awesome baby stuff that sounds just like what you'd like.  I highly recommend the magazine.  They are pretty cutting-edge and have great patterns.  I use them often for my grandkids from birth to age 9.

Trisha in MO

Trisha

#11 of 20 Old 02-06-2011, 10:43 PM

Oh and I forgot....you can order the Ottobre mag right from the site since I see you're in NZ....

http://www.mothering.com/forum/www.ottobredesign.com/en/

They have a neat feature where you can peruse each issue and see what patterns are there, what size they come in and all that, so you see what you're getting before you buy them (unless you get a subscription, of course).

I consider it far and away worth the investment when you consider the cost of just one pattern from any other place.  I pay less than $20USD per issue including shipping from Finland, and after I use 2 patterns, it has basically paid for itself.  If you subscribe it ends up being even cheaper.  I don't know why I didn't do it in the first place....I spend that much on single mags every year and would have all the ones I haven't bought in addition to the ones I do have.

Trisha in MO

Trisha

#12 of 20 Old 02-07-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I just spent WAY too much time looking up Ottobre patterns. :p The sizing confuses the heck out of me, though! In NZ clothes just say "3-6 months", "1-2 years" etc. I've been Googling, but can't find a site that neatly tells me what "62-92 cm" means. I have a child who's nearly 3 (and average-sized for her age, AFAIK!), and want patterns from at least 0-6 months (for now) for the upcoming baby boy. What kinds of Ottobre numbers would that correspond to?

I definitely like the idea of Ottobre, but I might need a bit more convincing. I read somewhere that the patterns are hard to follow - is that true? They are in English, right? And how do the books work - are the patterns on tissue paper for cutting out, or do you trace over them, or what?

I'm definitely tempted, just scared. :p

#13 of 20 Old 02-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

OK, I just spent WAY too much time looking up Ottobre patterns. :p The sizing confuses the heck out of me, though! In NZ clothes just say "3-6 months", "1-2 years" etc. I've been Googling, but can't find a site that neatly tells me what "62-92 cm" means. I have a child who's nearly 3 (and average-sized for her age, AFAIK!), and want patterns from at least 0-6 months (for now) for the upcoming baby boy. What kinds of Ottobre numbers would that correspond to?

I definitely like the idea of Ottobre, but I might need a bit more convincing. I read somewhere that the patterns are hard to follow - is that true? They are in English, right? And how do the books work - are the patterns on tissue paper for cutting out, or do you trace over them, or what?

I'm definitely tempted, just scared. :p

Here is a size chart that will tell you how each pattern size corresponds to 3-6 months sizing, etc.  The patterns are on heavy paper and you have to trace it onto something.  I have a bunch of issues, but an just now starting to use them, so I'm not sure how hard they are to follow.  Everything I want to make so far seems easy, my only hesitation is that I'm afraid to mess up the seam allowance issue.  I think seam allowances need to be added. 

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#14 of 20 Old 02-07-2011, 03:17 PM

The sizing is based on the child's height, rather than age.  Which can be confusing, but when you think about it, it makes more sense.  I usually make things based on height and chest circumference.  The baby stuff is all pretty roomy, so that shouldn't matter as much.

The main confusing thing is that the pattern pieces don't have seam allowance, so you have to add that when you trace them.  The instructions are pretty clear and good, IMO, but they don't offer the step by step pictures that most pattern companies do.  It's just a list of written instructions.  I do find the instructions pretty clear for the most part (yes, they are in English) but I think some knowledge of garment construction is useful going in.  Not a lot: I don't have a lot.  But some.

#15 of 20 Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Why don't they have seam allowances? That's bizarre! Oh well, I could probably manage it. :p I do have some knowledge of garment construction - I've been sewing for a couple of years now.

I convinced DH to let me buy a few back issues - now I'm just trying to figure out which ones to get. I keep being tempted by the patterns in DD's size, but I should really focus on baby boy clothes! Anyone have a favourite issue for baby boy items?

#16 of 20 Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Ok let's see...they don't have seam allowances included because some people use narrow ones and others use wider ones.  So - you add what you need.  Generally I do 1/4" but sometimes I add a bit and do 3/8". 

The instructions don't include most photos like American patterns do.  We're spoiled.  If you read the directions, they're pretty clear.  There are forums where you can go and ask questions.  Ottobre has a forum and a website and they discuss things there.  http://ottobredesign.blogspot.com/ 

I have actually gotten some instructions from the Ottobre magazines that are clearer than some of the Big4 patterns.  I got clues on boy's fly zipper installation, pocket welts, shirring and a few other things.  That's not to say they don't do some strange stuff....but it's no more strange than ours is to them. 

As for which issues have good patterns for little boys....my suggestion is to go to the main Ottobre website and look through the issues to see which ones have the patterns you like best.  Each issue has clothes for infant through preteen, so choosing just one or two is hard to do.  When you see the numbers on the magazines, here's what they mean - 1/06 is the first magazine in 2006.  3/06 is not March, it is the third issue in 2006.  Each year usually has a spring, summer, fall, winter and then one or two women's issues. 

Good luck.

Trisha

Trisha

#17 of 20 Old 02-08-2011, 07:02 PM

BTW I like 05/06, 03/08, 03/06....but I find stuff to make from every single issue, and sometimes I'll see something I don't really like but as time passes it grows on me and I end up making it.

Trisha

Trisha

#18 of 20 Old 03-09-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thought I should update! My Ottobres arrived today. It was very exciting. :) I found a GORGEOUS pinafore pattern I need to make for DD - the weather's suddenly turned chilly and she has next to no winter clothes, so it's a good excuse for making lots of things.

I wish they'd design all the baby overalls and rompers with crotch snaps, though! There's a really cute overall pattern I want to make, but I hate having to haul the whole lot down to change a nappy. I'm not confident enough to alter the pattern myself, though.

And it turns out I did get distracted with the DD-sized clothes, so there aren't quite as many baby boy patterns as I need. Oops! Oh well, there are a few - lots of cute little shirts. And a super cute sailor shirt and shorts, with a dress to match. I want to make both, so DD and the baby can match when we go on holiday in December. (Do people still do matching sibling clothes these days? It was all the rage when I was little...)

I've nearly finished a Butterick short-sleeved boy's shirt, which... sadly demonstrates how abject my sewing skills are. I didn't even attempt the buttonholes, I'm using snaps and just sewing buttons on the front. DH keeps saying "When will you start sewing clothes for me?" and I tell him "Trust me, I'm doing you a favour"! Oh well, best to get lots of practice while the kids are too small to object.

#19 of 20 Old 03-13-2011, 06:47 PM

I love my Otto subscription.  You might want to post on www.sewingmamas.com a lot of moms there use Ottobre, you can see other poster's sewing on the runway & post your own.  I believe there are a few NZ mamas too. 

If you are any good at zippers, you could insert a zipper from ankle to ankle in a baby romper.  It works like a dream. :)

#20 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 12:23 AM

I recently got a lovely book called Sewn with love by fiona bell.  It has some lovely patterns in newborn thru size 7 in both girls and boys clothing.  Everything from pants to fancy dresses.  The items are based on a more vintage "classic" silohuette which imo makes them timeless.  Liked the patterns (which are on a cd so you can download/print the exact size you want)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page