Knitting: What to learn next? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, its been about a week since I purchased some knitting needles.  I've mastered the knit and purl stich, as well as long tail cast off, and simple binding.  I've made large swatches (and partial scarves) using the garter, basketweave, ribbing and stockinette.  I've used cotton and an alpaca/acrylic blend (rather chunky) with the above.  I did find that I learned so much better on the cotton since I could clearly see the stiches (it was striped cotton to, which made that even easier).  I've been solely using bamboo needles (size 7 and 15).

So, with no "projects" beckoning...what should be the next thing I try to learn?  My eventual goal is to make a blanket made from 100% mohair (my mother raises angora goats and would like something substantial made from her animals).

TIA!

DD5, DS3...Montessori since 8/2010
Bradenton, Florida
#2 of 3 Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try following a pattern for something simple like a scarf or a shrug. There are tons of free patterns online. www.knittingpatterncentral is a database of free online patterns from all kinds of sources. You sometimes have to sift through them to find one that really appeals, but it's generally worth taking the time. Pick a pattern (especially one that's labeled "easy" somehow) and just go for it. If you can knit and purl, you can do pretty much anything; it's all based on those two stitches. When you run up against a term you don't know, I recommend www.knittinghelp.com because it has video tutorials on how to do things and I find that much easier to follow than pictures or written instructions.
#3 of 3 Old 02-19-2011, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

What do you want to make? Do you want to make hats or sweaters or socks or lace or scarves? It sounds like you have learned many of the basics quickly. Just start trying things and see what happens smile.gif 

Learning to use dpn's (double pointed needles) for socks is a little tricky at first but not impossible and socks are a great project. If you can do all of the steps for socks you can knit just about anything! I started knitting socks fairly early on. The first pair I made were miles too big for me to wear but I learned so much from trying it. Now I make at least a dozen pair a year for my family and friends.

You could also try little swatches in different fibres. Mohair can be tricky to work with because you can't easily rip out mistakes. If I were you I would purchase a ball of mohair from a yarn ship to try working with it before using the yarn made from your mother's goats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page