aout Making Diaper Doublers X Posted - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-21-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted this in the diapering section before I realized this forum existed.  I am making diaper doublers and was going to use the flat folds for the outer layers and realized that when I cut them they are going to fray bad and I do NOT have a serger.  Anyone else make them using the flat folds with sucess or should I just opt for jersey or flannel?  Also I am using a cloth folded it thirds for the middle layer, should I stitch those so they stay put?

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#2 of 8 Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 PM

The type of fabric makes all the difference for soakers/doublers. "flat folds" doesnt tell me anything about the type of fabric, since here i can get anything from wool to lycra in flat fold.

I like thicker fabrics for absorbancy - terry, cotton fleece, etc. I only do 3-4 layers in a doubler, more than that and they take forever to dry. Without a serger, you could zigzag the edges, but i've never been happy w the appearance of the ones i did that to. They twist and bunch in the wash and i'm just not happy. If you're less picky, it might work for you.

The other option is turning and topstitching. If you're thinking something long and thin, i'd stitch down the long sides, trim the seam allowances, clip the corners, turn and tuck the 2 ends before topstitching. If you're thinking something larger that gets folded into the dipe, treat it like you would any larger project, leave 2 inches or so open along one side. Trimming the seam allowance and clipping the corners are important so you dont get too much bulk.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

I am doing three layers of terry inside but was going to use the cotton flat fold for the outer top and bottom to keep them soft and neat looking.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#4 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhamom View Post

I am doing three layers of terry inside but was going to use the cotton flat fold for the outer top and bottom to keep them soft and neat looking.

Sorry, but flat fold still doesn't tell me anything - is it like a woven quilters cotton, a flannel, a knit (like tee shirt material)?  I wouldn't ask most quilters cottons to stand up to the wear and tear a diaper gets - particularly the part that gets pooped on.  If you're talking flannel - you'd need a heavier flannel, some of them are really thin and will wear out fast.  Honestly, if you have an old pair of sweatpants, that would probably be your best bet - cotton fleece, designed to stand up to wear and tear.  That being said, 3 layers of terry between 2 layers of cotton fleece will take a while to dry.  My heaviest doublers are 4 layers of hemp fleece, and they can take about 70 minutes in the dryer to dry. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 8 Old 01-23-2011, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

They are just the cheap gerber brand cotton flat fold diapers bought at Target, not very thick. Almost like a thick gauze.

#6 of 8 Old 01-23-2011, 05:17 PM

They are birds eye and if i where you id just use them as is and just fold to the absorbancy you need... no need to waste time sewing anything... they actually are quite absorbant,

#7 of 8 Old 01-30-2011, 12:23 PM

My soakers/doublers go something like this:

Style 1 : one layer flannel (I used some thick, old flannel receiving blankets that were in good condition but kind of stained), 2 layers of terry, 1 more layer of flannel. Put wrong sided together with the terry in the middle. Sew almost all the way around, but leave a couple of inches open. Using the open hole, pull the diaper through to be right side out. Topstitch all the way around, closing the hole and finishing the pad.

Style 2 : same as above but with fleece instead of flannel. Much better for when they get older and need more wicking power and absorbency.

Just to add, most newer sewing machines have an overlock stitch, so you really don't need a serger if you want to avoid the turning inside out and topstitching thing. You could even do a couple of zig-zags to seal the seam instead of serging. Happy sewing mama! I will post pics of the diapers and soakers that I have made in our DDC this week!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#8 of 8 Old 03-12-2011, 06:11 PM

ditto the other posters as far as turning and top stitching the birdseye. as far as keeping the inner layers from shifting around, definitely sew them in. i made some soakers that way without sewing the inner terry (was a washcloth folded in half) and it shifted and bunched the first time i washed it and is barely usable now. i like to just sew one straight stitch seam longways down the center of the soaker to hold the insides in place, and also creates a bit of a channel to hold the poo in.

betsy:  wife to tony, mama to haven (7/6/10), arlo (m/c 1/21/12), and expecting valencia in late december.

"we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" - arthur o'shaunessy

"if there is no dancing then it is not my revolution" - emma goldman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page