Handmade Holidays 2011!!! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 386 Old 12-16-2011, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Today I would like to:

Buy one last t-shirt and get it washed .

Put the last coats of finish on my BIL's box

Make a mouse ornament.

Paint ornaments with the kids.

#362 of 386 Old 12-16-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

Today I would like to:

Buy one last t-shirt and get it washed .

Put the last coats of finish on my BIL's box

Make a mouse ornament.

Paint ornaments with the kids.

Well,the shirt I bought doesn't fit.Back to the craft store...I guess.The kids slept through ornament painting time.But I did make a mouse ornament and put another coat of finish on the box.

#363 of 386 Old 12-17-2011, 05:58 AM

Here's the mouse(plus I added a few more pics).I'm pretty sure I got the inspiration at The Long Thread but now I can't find it over there.

#364 of 386 Old 12-17-2011, 08:58 AM

Just did a bunch of wrapping(I wrapped two of my sister's presents in felted sweater sleeves.HA!)and now we're getting ready to go make cookies with my mom.So my list for tomorrow is:

make wine bottle glasses(fingers crossed that this works)

help my daughter make a t-shirt for her cousin

help my daughter make a gingerbread house for her grandma

ummmm,find the calendar I had made for my MIL. uhg.

and for Monday:

get the last t-shirt  done

look one last time for a globe

finish wrapping

#365 of 386 Old 12-18-2011, 07:08 PM

I stopped working on my Cthulhu cross stitch for my BFF a few weeks ago. He has a new girlfriend (whom I've never met) who has a whoooooooooooole slew of issues and she forced him to stop communicating with me (no idea why -- we have always been absolutely, 100% platonic and I'm engaged. My BFF actually introduced me to my fiance). He's a 30 year old man, we're not in high school though you wouldn't know it from this situation. We have a long history of friendship spanning several years. I'm very hurt and I just get upset and angry when I work on the cross stitch I was going to give him. :(

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#366 of 386 Old 12-18-2011, 09:22 PM

I got these wrapped up today. Just need to finish my nephew's dino toys, his blanket, and the purse for my MIL as far as sewing goes. We need to make some baked goods and truffles for a couple guys in the family, but that can spread out over the week.

The polka dot case and purse:
6534763789_e4bdf20912_m.jpg
IMG_0013 by JJordanPhotography, on Flickr

6534766877_8e8bd9ab18_m.jpg
IMG_0015 by JJordanPhotography, on Flickr

Case made from fabric from my niece's flower girl dress at our wedding (lining), and a gown I made for another niece to wear for her baby pictures:
6534761261_33f61533e0_m.jpg
IMG_0016 by JJordanPhotography, on Flickr

6534768887_633a31c155_m.jpg
IMG_0018 by JJordanPhotography, on Flickr

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#367 of 386 Old 12-19-2011, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

attempted to make a washcloth fish puppet. It did not turn out. I may have to bail on the hand made stuff for my nieces this year... I've got some Hello Kitty coloring books, notebooks and pens for them. I may just pick up another small toy item or some books for them and just call it a day... time and energy are just running super low at this point...

Except my husband just saved Christmas! He said "why don't you just make the fish a stuffed animal?" BRILLIANT! A plushy fish scrubbie for bath time. Okay, crafting renewed! I can do this! And instead of doing the aprons for my other niece, I'll do a bath set for her too and save the aprons for next year. Okay, so to round out the bath sets I've got to make some bath paint and bath fizzies and possibly crayons. 

Oh my god I am not doing this again next year though. All Christmas crafting is going to be done by July, or I will abort the mission. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#368 of 386 Old 12-19-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

attempted 

Oh my god I am not doing this again next year though. All Christmas crafting is going to be done by July, or I will abort the mission. 

I need to stick to that plan, too. Coming down to the last few days is rough.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#369 of 386 Old 12-20-2011, 06:34 AM

Pariah,so sorry to hear that.

Cameragirl,nice work!

KQ,yeah I swear next year I'm starting in January.Of coarse I say that every year.Ha!

Well,I finished my husband's present but the wine bottle glasses for my stepfather did NOT work.Working on plan B but I need a printer and don't have one.Hopefully my neighbor will be around today and I can use his.

Still no globe.So I'm working on a garland for them.This family is actually going out of town for Christmas so I have a little bit more time.

#370 of 386 Old 12-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Here's one of the joke T-shirts for my husband.And one that I stitched the outline of a bass head.

Off to find my tracing paper so I can go use the neighbor's printer...

#371 of 386 Old 12-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Ok,I decided to just go ahead and finish the garland.

Now really,I'm going to find my tracing paper...ok,maybe after some lunch...and a shower.

#372 of 386 Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 PM

So I haven't done anything Christmas wise... Ive taken care of a rather sick baby (praying he gets better this week or we are taking a trip to Urgent care), had my van worked on, dealt with toddler/preschooler behavior from hell and otherwise lost my sanity.. Im filling in the gaps for the children's presents by some last minute ordering from Amazon (love you Amazon and your free 2-day shipping) and family is all getting framed family pictures. I love them all but honestly I can't do another thing. Ill finish the baby's sweater since its almost done and it was suppose to be done by the 1st.. I might finish the girls outfits because they asked very nicely for those and I haven't been sleeping well anyway..

And Im praying that this month ends quickly because I don't know what else I can handle.. Now off to replace the exhaust hose on the dryer since the cat ate it and then clean up the litter box from the girls dumping it..

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#373 of 386 Old 12-21-2011, 04:38 PM

I've got two colors of bath paint mixed up so far today. I need to stuff and sew shut the first plushie I made and make a second one tonight. And I decided to buy bath fizzies instead of make them. And I need to do the glass etching for my husband's gift still... 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#374 of 386 Old 12-21-2011, 04:42 PM

Today we're making candies for the guys in the family. So far we've done Christmas crack and the Solstice Spice truffles are cooling. We'll roll them in cocoa tomorrow. We're also making the coconut truffles under the same link, and some cookie dough truffles.

Christmas crack:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=283916.0

Solstice and Coconut truffles:

http://www.leftoverqueen.com/2011/12/06/diy-holiday-gift-series-decadent-chocolate-truffles

PS - the house smells sooo good. Luckily none of it is cool enough to eat, or I'd be pigging out.

#375 of 386 Old 12-22-2011, 06:30 AM

Oki,I hope your babe is better soon!

Hopefully my husband did some printing for me last night and I can finish up my last present.Well,I still have a little baking to do but I'll do that on Christmas eve.And if this last gift doesn't work out,I may have to make that Christmas toffee recipe.I may have to make that anyway.I am really curios to try it.

CameraGirl,I understand about the pigging out.I can't make the chocolate chip cookies ahead of time because my daughter and I would totally eat them all.

We're off  to my MIL's this evening to hand out the first round!

#376 of 386 Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 AM

phew, I lost my computer for two weeks so couldn't post.  I finished up the two advent calendar kits I was making and mailed one off (the other I will deliver in person on Christmas day!).  I did a journal cover for my son too.  I took pictures, but will have to wait to post until I can get that all configured on this new computer.  My husband made his spaghetti sauce and canned it last night, so I will give that in a pretty little dinner basket to his brother and two of his sisters.  and I have started a garland for myself to have for next year. I am using up tons of scraps :) 

I love looking at everyones projects!

#377 of 386 Old 12-22-2011, 02:09 PM

I've been enjoying catching up on everyone's projects here.  DS decided he wanted a baby doll for Christmas so I finished making a Waldorf baby doll for him today. I knit a pair of wool longies for it that I just need to seam up.  I also need to put new rings in the doll sling I made a month ago (the first set of rings were too small) and add the last finishing touches to the wooden barn that my mom and I made during her visit at Thanksgiving since she and dad didn't get to it before they came.  I didn't manage nearly as many handmade gifts this year as I had hoped, but  at least I did manage to make ds some pretty great things I think.  DH and I have decided that it needs to be a priority for next year to do all handmade gifts again though since this year has felt just way too commercial to both of us.  

#378 of 386 Old 12-22-2011, 03:22 PM

Well, the Christmas Crack came out like soft toffee. It is still delicious and tastes like caramel and chocolate covered pretzels, but I don't think my husband cooked it long enough. He claims he did...but he's been a bit absent minded lately. We'll probably remake this for gifting, and use the soft stuff for treats this week. (Or share with the neighbors.) I just don't think it will work well in the cookie tins we planned to put it in. I would definitely recommend trying this recipe.

I made the truffle mix for the Solstice Spice truffles, and we just need to shape them and roll them in cocoa this evening. We're planning on doing the cookie dough and the coconut truffles tonight as well. Tomorrow I'm planning on getting the sewing finished, because I'd really like to rest before going to the in-laws on Saturday.

For next year, I definitely need to start ahead. Make a list, and get a few things done each month. My only issue with that is that things go missing in this house. We share a house with Mom, so either she puts things in oddball places that nobody would think of, or my husband puts them up on a shelf that is above even his head. I couldn't find the fabric I got for a blanket meant for my sister's shower for MONTHS. One time I spent a week on a pair of really nice fleece pajama pants in Raider's fabric and with fancy silver thread details, and they just up and disappeared. They were on a shelf, all wrapped in a Christmas box in our room. Then they were gone. Seven years later, nobody has found the pants or has any clue what happened with them. Oh well. Moral of the story is that I need to keep a dedicated tub that nobody is allowed into, I guess.

#379 of 386 Old 12-22-2011, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

Well, the Christmas Crack came out like soft toffee. It is still delicious and tastes like caramel and chocolate covered pretzels, but I don't think my husband cooked it long enough. He claims he did...but he's been a bit absent minded lately. We'll probably remake this for gifting, and use the soft stuff for treats this week. (Or share with the neighbors.) I just don't think it will work well in the cookie tins we planned to put it in. I would definitely recommend trying this recipe.
I made the truffle mix for the Solstice Spice truffles, and we just need to shape them and roll them in cocoa this evening. We're planning on doing the cookie dough and the coconut truffles tonight as well. Tomorrow I'm planning on getting the sewing finished, because I'd really like to rest before going to the in-laws on Saturday.
For next year, I definitely need to start ahead. Make a list, and get a few things done each month. My only issue with that is that things go missing in this house. We share a house with Mom, so either she puts things in oddball places that nobody would think of, or my husband puts them up on a shelf that is above even his head. I couldn't find the fabric I got for a blanket meant for my sister's shower for MONTHS. One time I spent a week on a pair of really nice fleece pajama pants in Raider's fabric and with fancy silver thread details, and they just up and disappeared. They were on a shelf, all wrapped in a Christmas box in our room. Then they were gone. Seven years later, nobody has found the pants or has any clue what happened with them. Oh well. Moral of the story is that I need to keep a dedicated tub that nobody is allowed into, I guess.

the tub, yes!  and also, I need to tape a list inside the lid of what's in the tub.  I've been enjoying everyone's stuff - thanks from a lurker ;)

#380 of 386 Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

Oki,I hope your babe is better soon!

Thanks.. Hes feeling better but still has a cough and is still really clingy to me. We went over to my MILs today to drop off some baking I did for her and he wouldn't even leave my arms the entire time.

I made a ton of hair ties for the girls today and worked a bit on the sweater. I think Im going to go to bed early-ish (well earlier than I have been) and get up early then I can work on the sweater without having to worry about my son waking. He wakes more during the beginning of the night then later on.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#381 of 386 Old 12-23-2011, 09:25 AM

I wound up buying quite a few gifts for extended family this year, for the first time ever.  I am pg, and I was too tired to craft at my regular level over the last couple of months.  But all the handmade gifts I am giving are finished and wrapped.  Except for my ds, we are making him a kitchen and I am sewing food. I have already done a "can" of green beans, carrots, a turkey with detachable drumsticks, and bread/ buns and fillings for burgers and sandwiches...I will keep sewing until tomorrow and make as much food as I can.  The kitchen itself....it has rained nonstop the last two days, so we haven't been able to prime and paint it yet, so we just skipped that for now and worked on assembly.  Here is a picture; of course we will have to remove the hardware and plexiglass to prime and paint it, and we still have to add the backsplash, shelf and hooks.  It is going to be black and "stainless."  Just this piece for now, but soon we will make another piece with sink and food storage.

oven1.JPG

It isn't as big as it looks in this picture; it's a bit bigger than half sized as compared to the real one.  DH measured ds and sawed off the original cabinet according to his height.  I am not nuts about the idea of real knobs!  We argued about that, but he is building it, and he thinks they are the best part!  NOW, if the sun will only shine long enough to get it primed and painted!

Mama to 3 boys 

#382 of 386 Old 12-23-2011, 11:17 AM

I'm forgoing the doll sling.  Maybe I'll finish it and give it to him at epiphany.  It was really just a little something extra to go with his doll baby anyways.

Here's the barn my mom and I made.  We might have felt the need to play with it a bit as we were finishing it up...winky.gif

DSCN5670.JPG

DSCN5662.JPG

#383 of 386 Old 12-23-2011, 12:15 PM

I was a major lurker all year and it truly kept me motivated.  I made:

1. 7 pairs of hand knit socks.  1 pair each for my mom, sister, BIL, and 2 nieces, MIL (also got a knit cowel) and FIL

2. Goodie bags for my 8 employees - 2 hand knit wash cloths, a lotion bar (made by me) and peppermint bark (also hand made of course!) were in each.  If they had dogs, they also got homemade dog treats  I made the bags themselves out of T-shirts.  There is already a seam to run the string so they are really quick.

3. Each of 6 co-workers got local BBQ sauce with a hand knit dish cloth over the top

4. The young man who taught my son to roller blade when he was 5 (the young man was 15 and now my son is!) and also baby sat for us now has a family and is really struggling got a huge basket of log blocks (thank you winter storm) that my ds and I made, some soft blocks from a thrifted sweater I felted first, some felted balls, and a bear I made from a thrifted pair of wool pants that I felted first. Mom got a hat and dad a scarf

5. My ds2 is going to get 2 belts, one I made from webbing and a buckle and the other I knitted a strip of wool, felted it and I'm adding 2 d rings.  He will also get straps for his pant legs when he rides his bike to school and a case for his Kindle Fire that he is getting for the holidays (if I have time today - may be after Christmas)

6.  I am going to try and get some lounge pants done today for all three kids for them to open New Years Eve

I think that's it!

ETA - in the 2 days before the holiday, I got the lounge pants done as well as a case for my ds's Kindle Fire.  And I killed this thread ;-(

#384 of 386 Old 12-25-2011, 11:18 AM

Did we all make it!? 

The only thing I'm finishing up today are the fish bath plushies for my nieces, since we will be seeing them tomorrow. My husband and I spend Christmas day at home (this year with the baby!) so I put it off until today so I could actually enjoy sewing them up, instead of rushing through them last minute last week. I've got the second one cut out this morning and I plan to stitch and stuff it this afternoon while the baby takes one of his naps. I may get around to attempting to do do proper bath puppets to go in their baskets too, but we'll see - they each are getting a bath fish plushie, a bottle of bathtub soap paint and two cupcake shaped bath fizzies in them. Plus, I've got the Hello Kitty gifts for them as well. 

I did get to do my husband's etched glasses on Friday, and I am sad to report that they did not turn out perfectly. I etched Viking helmets into the side of clear glasses, and the edges did not turn out as crisply as I had hoped. That's an art form that I'm going to need to practice at a bit more. But he said he did like them anyway - I think the bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label they were packaged with did help to endear them to him. :-) 

#385 of 386 Old 12-25-2011, 11:30 AM

So I was so busy I kind of dropped off this thread, but I'm happy to report that I got most (but definitely not all) my homemade gifts completed (and I was only up til Midnight Dec 23 lol!) I'll try to get some pics to show off in the next day or two. :)

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#386 of 386 Old 12-25-2011, 01:38 PM

Well, we got most of it done. We need to finish the dino toys for my nephew and plant some wheat grass in the terrariums for my nieces, but we won't be seeing them today. We had all kinds of truffle issues, but I have no clue why. One batch of ganache for the truffles came out gooey and slimy, so we had to dump it. The other batch was too soft to roll, so we just dipped those in dark chocolate and dusted with cocoa. They seem to be a hit.

Btw - that wooden barn is super cute!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page