Handmade Holidays 2011!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 386 Old 06-19-2011, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the guys check out Marthastewart.com I the Christmas gift section there are a few ideas.

Rere- I thought about doing seeds inside but I'm worried they will die in the move (Florida to north Carolina so a 15 hour drive with three kids, a dog, and a cat. Maybe I will try anyway, wouldnt be the first time I killed a plant.. I'm still learning the fine art of gardening.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#62 of 386 Old 06-19-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

For the guys check out Marthastewart.com I the Christmas gift section there are a few ideas.

Rere- I thought about doing seeds inside but I'm worried they will die in the move (Florida to north Carolina so a 15 hour drive with three kids, a dog, and a cat. Maybe I will try anyway, wouldnt be the first time I killed a plant.. I'm still learning the fine art of gardening.

Maybe you could do some herbs.That way you could use them before you move and then all your daughter's gardening efforts wouldn't die in the move.You could even do something like lavender for drying out and bringing to the new house.

#63 of 386 Old 06-19-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softmama View Post

can you post pics of decorated jars?  I made jellies as gifts last year but was stumped on the decorating part and mine didn't look so good :(

I am not techincally advanced enough to post pics...but I will tell you what I do.  I make a circle of fabric cut with pinking shears.  I place it over the jar and place a rubber band around.  Then I add yarn, jute, or hemp string depending on what looks good.  I cut pieces of funky paper and write the contents and date on them, hole punch them, and place the yarn through.  I bet you've seem jars done this way??

#64 of 386 Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post

I am not techincally advanced enough to post pics...but I will tell you what I do.  I make a circle of fabric cut with pinking shears.  I place it over the jar and place a rubber band around.  Then I add yarn, jute, or hemp string depending on what looks good.  I cut pieces of funky paper and write the contents and date on them, hole punch them, and place the yarn through.  I bet you've seem jars done this way??

yup.  I think I might google and see If I can find images. I am best with visuals, lol.  I can copy just anything, but have a hard time coming up with my own stuff.

#65 of 386 Old 06-20-2011, 02:26 PM

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#66 of 386 Old 06-20-2011, 02:29 PM

quote:
Originally Posted by Softmama View Post

can you post pics of decorated jars?  I made jellies as gifts last year but was stumped on the decorating part and mine didn't look so good :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post

I did my jars like this one year.

http://andeverything-in-between.blogspot.com/2009/12/granola-great-holiday-gift.html

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#67 of 386 Old 06-20-2011, 02:30 PM

i kep trying to post a pic, but for some reason its not working :(

#68 of 386 Old 06-21-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoanib View Post

I did my jars like this one year.

http://andeverything-in-between.blogspot.com/2009/12/granola-great-holiday-gift.html

those look great!  I am going to try and work on my "presentation" more this time around.

cocoanib likes this.
#69 of 386 Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 AM

So what would you ladies suggest for a......

4yr old DS:

2yr old DS:

8month(will be 8 months by Christmas) old DD:

?

I want to make DD a topsy turvy doll. I also want to make the boys something meaningful.

I am thinking for DS's I can make a pirate kit (treasure box,hat,sword,eye patch,etc. )

Then I thought I could make some more kits after that. Wood working is not a problem here as my dad is a wood carver and woodworker. He has a shop with everything I could think of and can make just about anything as long as he has a picture to go from. I believe he is making DD a baby cradle.( His intentions was to make one for her to use but he didn't get it finished in time so I told him I wanted it anyways because she can use it for baby dolls when she is older.

Any ideas? I would like to start now since we have three kiddos and my dad likes to procrastinate lol.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#70 of 386 Old 06-23-2011, 07:35 PM

Can you explain what I Spy bags are? It sounds interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscanadian View Post

I need to start focusing on gifts as well, so here's my list to start:

DH -

DS (3yo) -

Dad -

Step-mom -

Mom -
Step-dad -

Brother - Scarf (started)

Nephew R (5yo) - I spy bag

Nephew A (2yo) - I spy bag

Nephew P (2yo) - I spy bag

Cousin M & wife 1 -

Friend H & husband -

Why does it always seem like a ton more than just those?!!!

For the IL's I won't know until October/November as traditionally we draw names.

We may also be drawing names with my Mom/Step-dad for that whole side of the family (which would also include my Step-sis, BIL, Step-bro and brother in that case)

I learned to knit last winter though so that opens up a whole new range of handmade things I can make! winky.gif

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#71 of 386 Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 PM

Homemade caramel popcorn is a huge hit in my house, and my friends houses too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

Anyone have any food gift ideas that they really like?

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#72 of 386 Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 PM

I Spy Bags are fabric (usually fleece) bean bags with see-through windows. Each bag is filled with plastic pellets or rice with trinkets hidden among them and then sewn shut. The "game" is for children to search for each item by manipulating the bag to move the pellets/rice and the items. They're great for waiting/quiet times when little ones need to be occupied (Dr's waiting rooms, restaurant, in the car...)

Disclaimer here, although I did consider making my own, I ended up buying these back in Feb.bag.gif  I ended up getting 6 - two for dayhome friends who were leaving, one for DS, and one each for the nephews. That's how great I think these are!

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#73 of 386 Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim Allen View Post

So what would you ladies suggest for a......

4yr old DS:

2yr old DS:

8month(will be 8 months by Christmas) old DD:

?

Do your boys have a play kitchen? Maybe some felt food (and/or a kitchen if you don't have one)? Trains/train set? DS is obsessed by trains. What are yours interested in at the moment?

The pirate kit idea is definitely cool though. I wish I new someone who did woodworking like that!

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#74 of 386 Old 06-24-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Do your boys have a play kitchen? Maybe some felt food (and/or a kitchen if you don't have one)? Trains/train set? DS is obsessed by trains. What are yours interested in at the moment?

The pirate kit idea is definitely cool though. I wish I new someone who did woodworking like that!

I agree about the play kitchen.Every kid who comes to our house loves to play in the play kitchen.

Also if you have a wood worker handy,what about some sort of doll house...farm...castle...tree house type of thing?There are some good tuts out there for making bendy people.

Or what about playstands?

#75 of 386 Old 06-24-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triana1326 View Post

Homemade caramel popcorn is a huge hit in my house, and my friends houses too...

Mmmmmmm!

#76 of 386 Old 06-24-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No we dont have a play kitchen although I am wanting one. Maybe Thats another idea.

ODS is obsessed with Power rangers........hide.gif lol. I have no idea why but he loves them.

YDS loves anything really. Hes not a picky kid. He just follows his big brother around doing everything he does.

I looked up some things and sent a list to my dad yesterday. He says he can make everything so I guess were pretty much set if he will just start working on them now and not wait till November.

Anyone have any tips on making a play teepee one like this?

Also anyone make one of these before?

#77 of 386 Old 06-24-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triana1326 View Post

I did 2 no sugar popcorn snack mixes last year for FIL who is diabetic. Love the caramel popcorn idea for others. Maybe I can make a batch and put them in cute brown paper bags. I saw someone made cute bakery type bags out of cut up trader joes paper bags on a blog. 

Quote:

I Spy Bags are fabric (usually fleece) bean bags with see-through windows. Each bag is filled with plastic pellets or rice with trinkets hidden among them and then sewn shut. The "game" is for children to search for each item by manipulating the bag to move the pellets/rice and the items. They're great for waiting/quiet times when little ones need to be occupied (Dr's waiting rooms, restaurant, in the car...)

Disclaimer here, although I did consider making my own, I ended up buying these back in Feb.bag.gif  I ended up getting 6 - two for dayhome friends who were leaving, one for DS, and one each for the nephews. That's how great I think these are!

Like this idea for DD. Although, she might get mad if she can't get whatever it is out of there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Allen View Post

Also anyone make one of these before?

I plan to make on of these for DD's room when we move. Don't ask me how though, I have'nt figured that part out yet!

#78 of 386 Old 06-24-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:

Hmm this will be a great way to use up the 10lbs of jasmine rice I had bought and forgot about in the cabinet. lol

#79 of 386 Old 06-25-2011, 04:49 AM

Bought some journals from the craft store yesterday.I have another hour before it's time to go to the farmer's market.Off to try to get some covers made for the journals...

Yes,I'm posting this to try to make myself do it.

#80 of 386 Old 06-25-2011, 04:04 PM

Finished the journals!

Kim Allen likes this.

#81 of 386 Old 06-25-2011, 10:19 PM

Ive figured out a couple of ideas for the children's presents for Christmas.

DD1

Reading tent (Im going to get some books to go with it, she LOVES books.)

dollhouse with furniture/dolls (shared with DD2. I found a page that showed how to make them from a bookcase and I can do minor woodworking)

DD2

Dollhouse with DD1

DS

First doll

knitted block set

rocking giraffe (this Im buying but I found one thats small for young children and he loves giraffes)

I usually do 3 gifts per child so I need to think of 1 more for DD1 and 1 more for DD2. Im waiting for input from DH about what he wants to do. I don't want him thinking Im trying to shut him out or anything.

Other people Ive figured out:

Grandparents- in- laws: picture books

grandma in law 2- framed picture

my grandma- picture book

DH's cousin- fingerless gloves (she LOVES to text so I figure these she might use)

My dad- photo travel mug and wrist pad for his mouse pad

My brother- photo mouse pad and wrist pad

MIL- Necklace with all her grandchildrens pictures are pendants, photo cube to hold pens at work

Husband:

So far I know Im going to send a big box full of treats for his Marines. Im thinking of making up some hot cocoa mix (DH doesn't drink coffee or tea and hot cocoa tends to be harder to come by) and sending that. I found some mug kits I might have the girls make him one and send it to him. BIL spent last Christmas over there and told me its really REALLY cold so Im thinking beanies and gloves would be good, maybe slippers to wear around the barracks. Im having pictures of the kids taken with Santa (I dont do Santa, DH LOVES the myth of Santa so he would really like the picture.. specially since my FIL plays Santa every Christmas for a local Winter Festival). Im thinking since I cant do much for him over there Ill send me a certificate for a special meal just the two of us for when he comes back. We haven't had a date night in over 2 years so that would mean more to him than anything else I could give him.Theres a fancy restruant hes been wanting to go to for years (think dress code, no kids type restruant) so I might be taking him there. He would love that.

This gets me started on my list. Im going to start on the things that don't require sewing soon so I can knock them out and get them done. I have to talk to my MIL/FIL to see if I can store the things over there when Im not working on them because if the girls see them they will know what they are for. They are getting to old to play the "its for the girl down the street" game. Or redirect them when they ask.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#82 of 386 Old 06-26-2011, 05:33 AM

OkiMom,really nice ideas!

#83 of 386 Old 06-26-2011, 06:00 AM

My family is still asleep so I think I'll go try and make some leg warmers for my mom.

Again,posting to hold myself accountable...uhg.

#84 of 386 Old 06-26-2011, 07:12 AM

Phew.finished a pair of legwarmers.Thought I was going to go upstairs and cut the arm off a sweater and ta da!Turns out I didn't have a sweater that worked for legwarmers that still had two sleeves.Had to re-create a sleeve and decided I should add a cuff to the top.Ha!Oh well,they're finished now and I like how they turned out.They are just plain brown but I think that will work good for my mom.Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a more exciting sweater to make her another fun pair.

#85 of 386 Old 06-29-2011, 06:39 PM

Ok, I think I have the gift list mostly finalize

To Do List as of 11/24 Broken up by week

Completed

Apron

knot bag

pine cone ornaments

photo album (2)

photo calander

T photo album

This week till Sunday

Bus sweater- Finish front today (Thursday), sew together today (Thursday), 1 Arm (Thursday), 1 arm (Friday), collar (Friday), finishing touches (Friday)

Monster- Sunday

kitty washcloth Saturday/Sunday

Taggie Monster- Wednesday

nativity puppets- Need felt

E coloring book- Today

A coloring book- Today

December 5-11

Christmas Puppets

Peg people

Eeyore Pillowcase

Giraffe Washcloth

10 gnomes-

dinosaur

fold up doll house

fold up doll house

sock monkey- Friday

taggie giraffe-

carmat-

carmat-

shawly scarfy

T's beanie- Friday/Sat

3 mug rugs

Dec 12-19

Quillow-

Quillow-

Quillow-

2 baby outfits

Monkey Washcloth

Slippers

E Beanie

A Beanie

princess puppets

princess puppets

8 frames

hairties/barettes

December 19-23

Needle roll

2 crayon rolls

DD1 outfit

DD2 Outfit

Fingerless mitts

mug cozy

DS beanie

2 booties

2 Jesus books

something for Aunt in law

something for cousin in law

#86 of 386 Old 07-01-2011, 03:49 AM

Hi, ya'll!

I am finally ready to start thinking about Christmas gifts.  I feel like i am late; last year i started MUCH earlier and I was still sewing on Christmas day....and i don't want it to be like that again, so i REALLY need to get on this! 

I knew there would be good ideas in this thread; some i am using ya'll mentioned are the fort kit- AWESOME, thank you!....magnets, great idea and easy....that hammock swing is intriguing, too.  And Rere, you are awesome, btw; how are you doing the journals?  I wanted to see a pic when you said you made one...

As for keeping a gift journal- I have always had lists in notebooks but my 2 year old is getting ahold of them, lol....and i am not organized enough to use spreadsheets.  So I am making my list here.

DP: plaid sheet jammies, i think i am finally gonna use the beer mugs patchwork i have made as the bottom of short curtains for the 3 windows in his den; drawstring drumstick bag, cd visor for his car ......

DS (9): fort kit, mattress pocket, wrist wallet    hmmmm

DS (2): felt food, I-spy/alphabet quilt, backpack, activity book...

Mom: some stuff for travelling: hanger covers w pockets, curling iron cover, shoe bags, cosmetic bags etc...also jewelry from large garnet tumbled beads

Dad: dive flag lap quilt (flag in the center, log cabin style narrow strips around in all different watery shades and patterns)

Sis 1: i am going to make clothes for her this year, i think a knit blouse and a skirt.... and some headbands

Sis 2:.....maybe magnets, pink satin nightie/ sheer rose embroidered robe, jewelry set from pink glass beads

B-i-Ls (2) Raglan tees in their team colors?  maybe do these for the nephews, too...

Nephew 11yo- wrist wallet

Nephew 10 yo- wrist wallet

Niece 9yo- zippered bag (DONE) w covered mirror, manicure set, lip gloss, etc; Hairbands

Nephew 4yo-same as his bros; either wrist wallet or raglan tee or both

^^^ I will make a big fort kit for this family of 4 kids to have fun together.

Nephew 3 yo- cape? tee to match his daddy's

Baby niece: grab ball, maybe linking rings, colors book

M-I-L- a purse?

F-I-L- i will buy him a bottle of Gentleman Jack in the size he always carries with him, and make a monogrammed suede pouch for it...

S-I-L 1-overnight bag?

S-I-L 2-....charcoal fleece coat

B-I-L- he said something on my FB about a "hemp watch band or thick hemp wrist band," so I should try to do this; otherwise, raglan tees

dp's aunt: she gave me some fabric and these prequilted blocks that she never put together, so I will do that and make her a quilt

dp nephew 5- cape?

dp nephew 2- maybe i should make these bros matching capes?

25 tote bags/aprons/ napkin sets for grandma, aunts, female cousins, teachers (and magnets?)

something for a bunch of guys...raglan tees?

finish patchwork tree skirt for Aunt B!

aunt and cousin gift needs more thought...

friend, D, male- raglan tees?

friend V, female- bias skirt and blouse or cosmetic bag(s)

2 little girl friends 7 yo- hmmm maybe dresses if i have time otherwise hmmm

this list isn't complete....gg

Mama to 3 boys 

#87 of 386 Old 07-01-2011, 07:23 PM

Ms.Shell,PHEW that's a long list.No wonder you were still sewing on Christmas.

Thanks!and I sewed covers for the journals.Here is one.

#88 of 386 Old 07-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Has anyone ever used etching cream on silver?

#89 of 386 Old 07-02-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
PHEW that's a long list

I do have a long list.  Every year, someone doesn't get something!  I am thinking about what I can do differently to make it work better this year.

I think, to start, I am going to choose gifts that I can make a slew of, and do piles of those, instead of thinking on a per person, per gift basis just yet.  I will be starting with tote bags.

I also would like to do a holiday craft show, and thinking like this makes sense.  Then if I can sell a lot of gifts, I might just buy something for a few certain folks.

So I will probably make loads of tote bags, wrist wallets, aprons....ugh, i am getting tired just thinking about this;  i will skip the holiday craft fair and plan on doing that annually in the spring, instead!

Mama to 3 boys 

#90 of 386 Old 07-02-2011, 06:19 AM

Hey, is anyone here planning to make an I-spy or alphabet quilt?  I have been saving fabrics forever but still don't have enough variety; I would love to find someone in my same boat to swap with.  I have plenty to share and a lot of cool prints and stuff.  Anyone else collecting novelty prints want to swap squares?

My baby is growing so fast and I really want to make this for him this year while he will still find it cool! 

I am going to copy this post on the challenge thread, too.

Mama to 3 boys 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page