Forum Jump: 

#121 of 386 Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

Ok,I need help with the MIL.

I am always uninspired when it comes to gifts for her but I try my best.I put a lot of thought and energy into them all the while knowing she's not going to appreciate them.To tell the truth I might not even give a crap except that I don't want my husband to feel awkward.I don't think anything I ever made her could be "enough"just because it's handmade.Although my husband supports me in my handmade adventures I always feel like he is worried about the present to his mom.Now it has nothing to do with her generous gifts to us because they are not particularly generous or thoughtful(especially the ones to me).

So when you have someone like this on your list how do you decide what "enough"is?

I have a feeling that MILs kind of just want a personal present from their sons...  I know my MIL was somewhat impressed/appreciative of the things I made her.  But I think she still felt her son didn't give her anything.  Maybe your dh can pick something out that you can add a little crafty thing to, like making a bookmark for a book.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#122 of 386 Old 07-22-2011, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I'm going to jump in here this year.  Thanks for all the great inspiration so far.  We aim for about 80% homemade gifts with the remaining 20% mostly being handmade items that we buy at craft shows or on etsy.

My biggest challenges are always the men on my list, DH, my dad, FIL, BIL and DH's cousin.  Not really sure what I'm doing for any of the adult guys yet this year.  

I've started knitting a shawl that will either be for my mom or MIL.  That's what I'm planning for both of their big gifts this year.  I really need to get knitting on those shawls!

I also need to come up with something for SIL and DS's God-mama (young, trendy professionals, but also into unique handmade items,) and DH's aunt.

For DS who will be three by Christmas, my mom and I are planning to build him a wooden barn as his big gift. I really need to work on the design for it.   I also started working on a felt toy camera yesterday that I hope I can finish up today when he naps.  It might be for Christmas or for his birthday in November, whichever I seem to need it for.

#123 of 386 Old 07-22-2011, 06:49 PM

I finished ds's camera today!  It turned out pretty cute!  He always wants to play with my camera so I think he'll like it!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7709243&l=2194eb1ecb&id=552062962

IntuitiveJamie likes this.
#124 of 386 Old 07-22-2011, 06:49 PM

I finished ds's camera today!  It turned out pretty cute!  He always wants to play with my camera so I think he'll like it!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7709243&l=2194eb1ecb&id=552062962

#125 of 386 Old 07-22-2011, 06:55 PM

didn't mean to post twice...oops!  sorry!

#126 of 386 Old 07-25-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie1972 View Post

Rere - I found a pattern today of nesting bowls you crochet out of wool thread (right now I am getting a lot of it on sale for .97 a skien esp at Joanns) and thought they might make a nice gift for your MIL. Easy and fast to make, according to the directions.

Here is a crochet version:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90378AD.html

Knitting:
http://www.heavydutydesign.com/alicethelma/2009/03/free-pattern-felted-nesting-bowls/ 

Thanks for thinking of me!I really need to learn to knit and crochet.I started learning to knit a few months ago but...uhg!Just not sure it's for me.

#127 of 386 Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post

I have a feeling that MILs kind of just want a personal present from their sons...  I know my MIL was somewhat impressed/appreciative of the things I made her.  But I think she still felt her son didn't give her anything.  Maybe your dh can pick something out that you can add a little crafty thing to, like making a bookmark for a book.

Hmmm?Thanks for that.It's something to think about.I'll have to talk to my husband.

#128 of 386 Old 07-25-2011, 03:19 PM

To those looking for gifts for their DH's or SO's, a friend told me what she is doing and I am going to be doing the same thing this year, and hopefully every year after.  She suggested coming up with a monthly pre-planned date for you and hubby.  If you can pre-pay for anything that needs paid, do that, so all you have to do is go.  

I'm working on swagbucks.com and using up our bank points to get gift cards to restaurants and the movies.  Most of our dates will be free ones, but its nice to have a few pre-paid ones where we go out.  Think about your community and what you can do.  A date doesn't have to be dinner and a movie.  You can go hiking, go to a community fair, take a local class together, watch a sunset with a picnic and some wine, etc.  

I'm going to make 4x6 "library pocket" type pockets (like you stick on the inside of a book at a library) and then put any info, gift cards, etc in the pockets, and stick it in an index card box.  That box will be what I give him for Christmas. 

triana1326 and cocoanib like this.
#129 of 386 Old 07-29-2011, 01:01 AM

your felt camera is darling, mama, and that is a great idea!

Mama to 3 boys 

#130 of 386 Old 07-29-2011, 06:35 PM

thanks!  I think he's going to really love it!  It was a lot of fun to make.   I also made a little wool vest with needle felted toadstools on it from a felted sweater, but that might be for ds's birthday in November.  I'd love to get one more sweater to felt down and make another one so he could have one for birthday and one for Christmas.

I used the extra felted sweater sleeve pieces to make some microwavable hand warmers stuffed with field corn for dh's stocking since he'll be working outside a lot this winter.  

I also used the scraps from the camera to make a couple of cat toys from the Martha Stewart website.  I still need to add bells to those and then attach them to some sticks.  I made a catnip fish and some felt feathers.  I think my kitty will like them.

Anybody been crafting anything else recently?  I love the inspiration I get from this thread!

#131 of 386 Old 07-30-2011, 06:30 AM

Ive done NOTHING...still irked.gif

Ive been having pregnancy complications so much, first a kidney infection that nocked me on my butt for a good month then just this weekend a polyp on my cervix burst and sent me into contraction/bleeding/wtf is going on mode. Now I'm on "bedrest"...chasing after an almost 5 and 2.5 y old....pfft bedrest.

My aunts coming to get the kids tonight and take them until Tues so Im hoping I can get dh to go to the store and get me some sock yarn and needles or I can find a quick knit ravlery pattern to use up some yarn I have & either get some holiday presents done or some baby stuff.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#132 of 386 Old 07-30-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheOldOakTree View Post

Anybody been crafting anything else recently?  I love the inspiration I get from this thread!

Uhg.I wish.It's been so hot here and all my making stuff is in the attic plus our basement flooded so I've been trying to clean that.And my husband has been gone on tour so I've been trying to keep our daughter very busy outside the house.I NEED to make something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

Ive done NOTHING...still irked.gif

Ive been having pregnancy complications so much, first a kidney infection that nocked me on my butt for a good month then just this weekend a polyp on my cervix burst and sent me into contraction/bleeding/wtf is going on mode. Now I'm on "bedrest"...chasing after an almost 5 and 2.5 y old....pfft bedrest.

My aunts coming to get the kids tonight and take them until Tues so Im hoping I can get dh to go to the store and get me some sock yarn and needles or I can find a quick knit ravlery pattern to use up some yarn I have & either get some holiday presents done or some baby stuff.

That stuff is stressful.uhg.I hope you're able to relax at least for a few days and get some knitting done.Tell your husband to bust out his needles and you two can lay in bed and knit together.HA!

#133 of 386 Old 07-30-2011, 07:54 AM

Rere-Thats hilarious. I've told him that I would love a new sweater for xmas...he's not taken the hint. He works 2 days a week helping an elderly man w cancer run his gas station @ a race track. Alot of days he doesnt do much but sit there and read or practice bass. Ive told him why dont you take your needles. His response was the other men wouldnt be able to handle all the manliness that hed be showing off with his bamboo needles and angora wool. He had a point.

I remembered I started a sock for myself forever ago and didnt like the way it looked. So I just hunted it down and pulled it all apart. Now I'll use the yarn to knit FIL a pair of socks. So Im actually going to start a knitting project today....yay

#134 of 386 Old 07-30-2011, 08:04 AM

I decided last night to get done with a small project that I've been putting off because I thought it would take forever to do. I made tea bags from my stash of organic hemp and then filled them with loose tea and herbs I've grown this summer. It only took me a few hours from start to finish, which surprised me. I'm going to pair this with some of my friend's honey from her hives and a few handmade mugs from another potter friend. This will work perfectly for my MIL, my neighbor, and a few of my friends who are really hard to shop for.

My list is slowly being chipped away at - but I have a lot to do!!

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#135 of 386 Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 AM

From GreenMamato3:

"To those looking for gifts for their DH's or SO's, a friend told me what she is doing and I am going to be doing the same thing this year, and hopefully every year after.  She suggested coming up with a monthly pre-planned date for you and hubby.  If you can pre-pay for anything that needs paid, do that, so all you have to do is go.  

I'm working on swagbucks.com and using up our bank points to get gift cards to restaurants and the movies.  Most of our dates will be free ones, but its nice to have a few pre-paid ones where we go out.  Think about your community and what you can do.  A date doesn't have to be dinner and a movie.  You can go hiking, go to a community fair, take a local class together, watch a sunset with a picnic and some wine, etc.  

I'm going to make 4x6 "library pocket" type pockets (like you stick on the inside of a book at a library) and then put any info, gift cards, etc in the pockets, and stick it in an index card box.  That box will be what I give him for Christmas."

That is perfect!!!!! I'm totally stealing this idea and using it for my DH. We seriously are lacking in time together and this would be perfect. I can't wait to figure out all the fun stuff we can do for free...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#136 of 386 Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 AM

I've actually completed my first xmas gift for the year!  I've decided to do shrugs for most of the females on my list.  I finished the first one for one of my nieces.  I managed to get ds to try it on so it should fit as she is just a little taller and slimmer than he.  I've cast on one for her sister.  I'm using boring stash yarn so these aren't as satisfying as they could be to make but at least I'm not spending money I don't have.  The shrugs for my nieces will go well with the leg warmers I made them last year.  Those were just simple rib knit legwarmers but I sewed on a row of funky mismatched buttons so they turned out pretty cute.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#137 of 386 Old 07-31-2011, 07:08 PM

I've been working on longies for baby-to-be so I haven't done much for Christmas lately but just had to stop by and share a great link to a HUGE list of sewing tutorials, in case it helps anyone out.

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#138 of 386 Old 08-01-2011, 03:46 PM

I've been crafting...& watching WAY to much true blood....I live an exciting life while the kids are away.

I've got the heel turned on FIL sock YAY! Working on the foot now! I was CURSING while doing the toe...its been way to long since I knitted socks.

And I cut 4 kids aprons out. 2 little girls aprons reversable. 1 side a velvet the other a flower print. The boys Ive only got one side so far. A car/truck pattern. I need some plain fabric for the other side of the boys. Then I'll make pockets for all the plain sides and put their initials on them. Going to keep an eye out for cool bowls & spoons. I figure since I'm using up scrap fabric & trim I'll prob have all 4 aprons,bowls and spoons done for under $10.00. I just have to decide if I'm going to give dried cookie mix with them.

I also picked some herbs & chilis from the garden to dry for presents.

#139 of 386 Old 08-11-2011, 02:40 PM

I've been so busy with ob apts,midwives apts. & dh has been working so much that my crafting has gone down hill. I did make dd a princess gown for halloween out of an old 80s puffy sleeeve black polka dot number. It was suppose to go away for her dress up christmas box BUT she is determined to be a princess for Halloween so she now has the dress<sigh>

Im now working on FIL's second sock.

And about to start crafting for ds's 5(dizzy.gif) bday party in a couple of weeks. Nothing major just some pirate flags and things. And I have to make his halloween costume...so more things eating into my holiday crafting sadly

#140 of 386 Old 08-11-2011, 06:57 PM

I haven't even really thought about it. Im so exhausted from day to day stuff that I haven't even sat down and made a plan past the ideas list. I did see the fabric that Im thinking of getting for DH's quillow. Its Marine Corps Eagle Globe and Anchor so something hed like. Im thinking of doing it for the middle then getting plain red, gold and black squares to make the rest of the blanket part then getting the fabric with small eagle globe and anchors for the pillow part.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#141 of 386 Old 08-16-2011, 01:16 PM

I always fail horribly when it comes to a handmade Christmas but I'm determined to succeed this year!!  My girls will be 8, 4, and a few days shy of 1 and my crafting will be mostly focused on them. 

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#142 of 386 Old 08-17-2011, 06:14 AM

Whats everyone working on this month? I need a major kick in the rear so get moving. Otherwise Ill never get anything done and I have a ton to do.. I need to get moving on Halloween costumes which totally isn't anything to do with Christmas BUT it needs to get done soon.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#143 of 386 Old 08-17-2011, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my, I have hardly done a thing for holiday giving.  Really, all I've made is three knitted washcloths in holiday colors to go with homemade soap for teachers...sigh...

I've just decided to do a craft fair, too, so I've really got to get rolling.

Love the inspiration from this thread!

Peace ~

edited to add -- I found a hat I knit for my youngest nephew for Christmas -- I made it in winter or spring -- can't remember...and since I posted here yesterday, I've made another washcloth and am halfway done with a hat for my oldest nephew! 

#144 of 386 Old 08-19-2011, 04:29 AM

i knit a really cool scarf for my mom.  I plan to get a yarn that compliments it for a hat and driving gloves.

i also did a really fluffy scarf for one niece.  I need to get more of that yarn to do one for her sister and to make them hats as well.

in nonchristmas news, I finished an awesome window treatment for my living room.  I hope to post some pics soon!

#145 of 386 Old 08-19-2011, 06:15 PM

I'm going to start on a quilt for my ds soon. It's going to be an animal themed I-Spy. I also want to make him some cloth balls and a doll.

I don't really give gifts to many people, just cookies... whistling.gif

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#146 of 386 Old 08-19-2011, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Just finished hat #2 -- this one for my oldest nephew...

Now I'm going to get started on decorating some unbleached small pads of paper for teacher gifts and for the craft fair I'm doing...my 10 year old ds made some this week to sell at the childrens' fair at our farmers market in a couple of weeks, and they are darling...

#147 of 386 Old 08-20-2011, 08:19 AM

I'm having way to many pregnancy issues. They're worried that I'm having symptoms of pre-eclampsia & my placenta might detatch so I spent the night in the labour ward but my liver functions decent & the babys doing well so its a waiting game. I've been so busy just trying to keep up w reg stuff thats taking me forever & going to midwife,ob,u/s ect apts that ive got NOTHING done. I tried to take some organic cotton and needles to my last ob apt to knit the babe a hat and got there only to realize my circular was to big<sigh>. Inlaws have the kids today for a fam reunion that Im not allowed to travel to so I'm hoping to get ds's birthday costume complete while hes not here so its a surprise....yeah ds's MASSIVE bday party is a week 2morro<kill me>. In good news my 17y old cousin is coming 2morro until the party to help me do everything around the house & distract the kids so maybe I'll sneak in a bit of downtime knitting

#148 of 386 Old 08-20-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

I'm having way to many pregnancy issues. They're worried that I'm having symptoms of pre-eclampsia & my placenta might detatch so I spent the night in the labour ward but my liver functions decent & the babys doing well so its a waiting game. I've been so busy just trying to keep up w reg stuff thats taking me forever & going to midwife,ob,u/s ect apts that ive got NOTHING done. I tried to take some organic cotton and needles to my last ob apt to knit the babe a hat and got there only to realize my circular was to big<sigh>. Inlaws have the kids today for a fam reunion that Im not allowed to travel to so I'm hoping to get ds's birthday costume complete while hes not here so its a surprise....yeah ds's MASSIVE bday party is a week 2morro<kill me>. In good news my 17y old cousin is coming 2morro until the party to help me do everything around the house & distract the kids so maybe I'll sneak in a bit of downtime knitting

Your health and the health of your baby is so much more important than anything else. Take it easy, take care of yourself and the baby you are carrying. That would be the best holiday gift you can give your family.

#149 of 386 Old 08-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

Your health and the health of your baby is so much more important than anything else. Take it easy, take care of yourself and the baby you are carrying. That would be the best holiday gift you can give your family.

Yes!!!

Uhg.Our computer died.Not that I did much in the way of making Christmas presents in that time but I did make some backpacks out of t-shirts for birthday presents.And I will make another one for someone on my list.

#150 of 386 Old 08-31-2011, 07:18 AM

So Im still not up to much at all...besides hospital,ob and midwives apts...thank god for Canadas health care or my bp would be through the roof wondering how to pay for all of this lol

I did start an organic cotton hat for the baby. I work on it a little bit at a time when my eyes arent bothering me. Itll get done eventually 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page