Handmade Holidays 2011!!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 386 Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

I got some more stocking stuffers done for the kids.. I got beanies and scarfs done for the girls. I also got 3 of 4 gloves made. For the baby Ive made a soft book and a taggie ball. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish the gloves and do another stocking stuffer for the baby..

Why is putting together the stockings more fun than the actual gifts?

I agree!  I love doing the stockings! 

I am madly working on my ds's sweater.  I have finished two of three knit hats for niece/nephews.  I made them in different colors, same yarn brand, so they sort of coordinate.  I have to get busy with my crafting for the winter holiday I'm doing with a friend.  So much crafting...so little time!!!!!!

Peace ~

#182 of 386 Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 AM

Thanks to this thread, I'm going to make a journal with a pretty sewn cover for my future SIL. She had mentioned wanting to blog about weight loss/getting healthy but was worried about the privacy aspect of it so she decided against it. Hopefully a pretty journal to write in will help her stay motivated and is private so she can write freely.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#183 of 386 Old 10-28-2011, 09:59 AM

Oooohh, and now for DF's brother I know I'm going to make a grilling apron (with long, narrow pockets on the front for grilling tools. Ideas keep coming to me the past few days! :D

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#184 of 386 Old 10-30-2011, 04:03 PM

PHEW!I just finished some felt foods and a mini shopping bag for my nephew.

I haven't made a Christmas present in months.Uhg.I really need to get back into it.I plan to go to the craft store on Tuesday so then I can get going again!

Now to go back and read the last couple pages...

#185 of 386 Old 10-30-2011, 04:44 PM

Wait...have I whined about my husband yet this year?rolleyes.gifAs usual I have no plan for him.Sigh.

What are your great man gift ideas?

#186 of 386 Old 11-02-2011, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Aha, I just thought of a cute stocking stuffer for DH. He's really into minecraft (a game where everything is made up of blocks) so I'm going to find a little square box and paint it like the chests in the game. I'm also thinking of making him a star trek communicator button.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#187 of 386 Old 11-03-2011, 03:10 AM

My hubby won't be here and I can't send him a package either (theres a deadline for sending packages, which was November 1st) so Im not really don't much for him.. If I have time I might try to do something but honesty I have so much on my plate hes "present" is me going to be me planning and doing most of this move almost entirely alone.

Make some little magnetic doll sets for the girls stocking last night. Im spending the day crafting so hopefully I can get some more done.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#188 of 386 Old 11-03-2011, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Today is the day - I'm going to do my son's quilt, come hell or high water! If I post back that I "didn't get around to it" or some other crap, feel free to publicly shame and ridicule me. I have to get this stuff done!

IntuitiveJamie likes this.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#189 of 386 Old 11-04-2011, 09:17 PM

I love this thread!  I'm the only one I know who is doing a homemade Christmas so I would love some camaraderie. :)

I am doing a handmade Christmas this year (except for one store bought gift for each of the children per DH). 

I got so many ideas from this thread, you guys are awesome crafters! 

I started a few weeks ago and I have made book bags/shopping bags for my mother, MIL, sister and my son's teacher.  They have one of my son's drawings embroidered on the front and I love the pleats - here's a pic of one of them. 

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/Marycherrington/38e35da5.jpg

I am also doing:

- stationary created from the kids paintings throughout the year

- pencil cases

- marmalade

- caramel

- framed acrylic on canvas paintings by the children (very abstract because the kids are so young LOL)

- a puppet theater with sock puppets for my children

I'm hoping to finish by Thanksgiving and just enjoy the holiday season and not stress!

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

#190 of 386 Old 11-08-2011, 09:16 AM

Well, I should be shamed and ridiculed. I didn't work on the quilt. :-( I clearly need to light a fire under my rear, so I've put my list in writing - 

Quilt - cut rest of blocks and sew quilt. November 12, 2011

Clay hand print ornament - make ornament. November 12, 2011

Embroidered nameplate - cut and embroider fabric and frame in embroidery hoop. November 19, 2011

Baby photo book - upload photos to Shutterfly and design book. November 19, 2011

6 Soy jar candles - make candles. November 26, 2011

2 Bath time sets - sew 2 towel bags and 2 wash cloth puppets, make 2 sets bath paint. December 3, 2011

Framed photo of baby - select and print photo to frame. December 3, 2011  

Plus I have to do two gifts for my husband. I'm still deciding on those at this point though. But since I'm finishing everything else by December 3, that gives me two weeks to put his together. I really need to become one of those people that starts crafting in July... 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#191 of 386 Old 11-09-2011, 05:29 AM

Well I gave my list a bit earlier up thread. And instead I've managed to quilt 7 advent calendars. Pictures forthcoming when they are all fully complete (which is soon!). Funny story; I initially learned to sew 7 years ago and my first project was quilted advent calendars. I also made 6 or 7 then, (can't remember). It's not the hardest project, but to make so many and for a first project. Plus, I had only bought myself a $100 cheapie machine from Walmart. The machine sucked, the project took forever, and it was very expensive since I didn't buy anything on sale or have anything like threads and needles. The end project was great. But I did not at all get the feedback I thought I would receive on such a heartfelt and time consuming project. I was very VERY disappointed. So much so that I put my sewing machine away for almost 2 years.  Eventually I started sewing again and went crazy with it and upgraded the machine.

So here I am all these years later, back to the same project. I consider it a keepsake gift and there are certain family and friends I want to have one. I have to say that 7 years later, it is proven that my sewing skills have vastly improved! This batch of quilted advent calendars has taken me almost no time. I did them all for much cheaper (actually bought the fabric after the holidays 2 years ago and the mini ornaments) and I've made a few changes that have improved the overall look. 

I just thought I'd share that story b/c I knew you avid crafters would understand. Just nice to know I have indeed learned a few things over the years :)

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#192 of 386 Old 11-09-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbelle View Post

I love this thread!  I'm the only one I know who is doing a homemade Christmas so I would love some camaraderie. :)

I am doing a handmade Christmas this year (except for one store bought gift for each of the children per DH). 

I started a few weeks ago and I have made book bags/shopping bags for my mother, MIL, sister and my son's teacher.  They have one of my son's drawings embroidered on the front and I love the pleats - here's a pic of one of them. 

I am also doing:

- pencil cases

- marmalade

- caramel

- framed acrylic on canvas paintings by the children (very abstract because the kids are so young LOL)

I'm hoping to finish by Thanksgiving and just enjoy the holiday season and not stress!

Super cute bag!

#193 of 386 Old 11-09-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntuitiveJamie View Post

I just thought I'd share that story b/c I knew you avid crafters would understand. Just nice to know I have indeed learned a few things over the years :)

Smile!

#194 of 386 Old 11-09-2011, 01:07 PM

I made two pillows last night.Here's one of them.

#195 of 386 Old 11-09-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Well, I should be shamed and ridiculed. I didn't work on the quilt.

Kitchensqueen I'd shame and ridicule you but that would be utter hypocrisy, so simply consider yourself encouraged! winky.gif

Jamie, I'd love to see your advent calendar when one is done. I started a felt one for DS last year that I'm going to push hard on in the next few weeks, but if I could find a simpler one to give away as gifts, that'd be great.

In Canada it's a three day weekend this weekend, and I've requested DH give me one whole day to sew/work on projects so I'm hoping to get lots done. Unfortunately half my project list is not holiday-related, but at least it'll free me up for more holiday stuff, right?

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#196 of 386 Old 11-09-2011, 10:04 PM

Rere - thank you!  I found the pattern in a library book, I think it turned out nice.   I just clicked on your link and I love your pillow! 

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

#197 of 386 Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 AM

|'ve been reading all of your posts getting ideas (kinda late, hopefully next year i'll start earlier)...I would definatly not consider myself super crafty.... but I'm learning. These posts have inspired me to learn to knit!!!! So hopefully after the holidays I can start!!!!

I found these ideas that I am making for some of the kids in my extended family along with my ds, they are fairly straight forward and easy (i think)

my 4 year old nephew- http://www.theidearoom.net/2011/04/diy-magnetic-silly-faces.html

a bunch of the babies and toddlers - http://go.tipjunkie.com/hm/444/zitzmanfam.blogspot.com/2010/09/old-macdonald-puppet-tutorial-and.html

and the big project for my DS - http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/homemade-play-kitchen

All of the grandparents and great grandparents are getting calendars with photos of the kids (not really home made but kinda)

I have to figure something out for 2 of my aunts who are kinda in weird places in their lives, both just seperated from long term husbands...it makes it tough to figure out what to make them cause they are not living "normal" lives right now. I'll figure it out!!!

#198 of 386 Old 11-10-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscanadian View Post

Kitchensqueen I'd shame and ridicule you but that would be utter hypocrisy, so simply consider yourself encouraged! winky.gif

It's so much easier to plan than find the time to sit down and do it! Sigh. 

And I just realized I have to add to my list - I forgot about the felt baby slippers I need to hand sew for my son's stocking. And I need to figure out a little hat for him too, to go in his stocking as well. 

#199 of 386 Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

http://craftstorejunkie.blogspot.com/2008/08/halloween-paper-pinecone.html

I find myself making a christmas version of these, lots of them.  10 for a holiday online swap, probably 15 more for our homeschool party.  So many little pins....  But they are sooooo adorable!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#200 of 386 Old 11-11-2011, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I love this thread!  I'm the only one I know who is doing a homemade Christmas so I would love some camaraderie. smile.gif
I am also doing:
- pencil cases
- marmalade
- caramel

wow, I LOVE that bag. did you have a pattern?
#201 of 386 Old 11-12-2011, 10:55 AM

I love those paper pinecones!  Great idea to use them as gift ornamentation.

hh2.gif  Help make a family's holiday a little brighter joy.gif

#202 of 386 Old 11-12-2011, 03:37 PM

I love the pinecones! Im thinking of making some for decoration around the house. We don't have anything to decorate with and those would be fun!

DD2's birthday is tomorrow then I can concentrate on Christmas!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#203 of 386 Old 11-12-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Rere - thank you!  I found the pattern in a library book, I think it turned out nice.   I just clicked on your link and I love your pillow! 

Thanks!

Is it from Bend the Rules Sewing?

#204 of 386 Old 11-13-2011, 05:15 AM

Gardenbelle-love the bag as well.

Zebra- those are neat. The past couple of years, I haven't had time to complete homemade Xmas's, and I've veered toward holiday decorations for mostly my own home. I can be a little ore leisurely about making them, and if they don't get done, that's okay. I might try a couple of those.

Rere-How are you? :)

CC- The quilted calendars are not difficult, but they are time consuming. I don't know what your felt one is like, but my guess is that these are just as time consuming. I would say they average about 3-4 hours a piece total. Not including shopping time for all the materials including 25 ornaments (I did not make the ornaments). But I will post pictures later today maybe. I've finished five. I'm very pleased with them. 

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#205 of 386 Old 11-13-2011, 11:55 AM

I don't have the pattern because I found it in a library book, but it is called Bend the Rules Sewing, here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Bend-Rules-Sewing-Essential-Guide/dp/0307347214

Isn't it such a cute pattern?  There were a few other projects in the book worth working on, I would definitely see if your local library has it. :)

#206 of 386 Old 11-13-2011, 11:57 AM

Oops, forgot to quote.  Check out the post above, it is to you. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post

wow, I LOVE that bag. did you have a pattern?

#207 of 386 Old 11-13-2011, 12:00 PM

Yes, isn't that such a great book?  I really love the projects in it.  I actually ended up making 5 bags total (including one for me!) out of the pattern for all the women in the family.  Five Christmas presents down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

Thanks!

Is it from Bend the Rules Sewing?

#208 of 386 Old 11-13-2011, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes, isn't that such a great book?  I really love the projects in it.  I actually ended up making 5 bags total (including one for me!) out of the pattern for all the women in the family.  Five Christmas presents down!

that book looks so cute! I might have to get it. And I love the design that you added.... so cute! thank you!!
#209 of 386 Old 11-13-2011, 09:26 PM

Thanks!  It's one of my 3 1/2 year old drawings, I think the Grandmas and aunties will really like it. :)

#210 of 386 Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntuitiveJamie View Post

Rere-How are you? :)

CC- The quilted calendars are not difficult, but they are time consuming. I don't know what your felt one is like, but my guess is that these are just as time consuming. I would say they average about 3-4 hours a piece total. Not including shopping time for all the materials including 25 ornaments (I did not make the ornaments). But I will post pictures later today maybe. I've finished five. I'm very pleased with them. 

Good(thanks for asking)!Busy with our homeschool co-op and my husband has been doing a lot of touring(he's a musician)so less time and energy for making than I would like.Today I am going to get some Christmas making done!I promise.

I'd love to see your calendars!

Quote:

Yes.I borrowed it from the library too and thought the bag looked familiar.Glad to know it went together so well.I might have to borrow the book again and give it a try.

Good for you on the five finished presents!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page