Handmade Holidays 2011!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, call me crazy, but I am already thinking of holiday giving 2011!  Anyone else?

I bought a small journal and wrote out all the holidays for 2011, including birthdays, Mother's Day, etc. and started filling in what I want to make.  I feel so on top of it!  I've already started making things to give.  I love having this journal as I know what I need to buy to craft and can watch out for sales, since some of the gifts won't be needed for a while.

I also bought some cotton holiday yarn today!  Woo-hoo -- half off!

Anyone?  Anyone else???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Wow, you ARE on top of it!

I'm here, but nowhere near as organized.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I've started working on my gift list for December this year. I haven't started working on the gifts yet since I'm still baby-crafting but I do have an idea of what I'm wanting to make for most of the gifts. I'm aiming for a completely (or close to it) handmade holiday this year so I'm going to have to start early. I have to do gifts for dh, dd, ds, new baby, mom, sis, and brother. Most of the gifts will be crocheted since it's my fav hobby but I do want to start sewing more again and would like to try to start on a quilt finally. It'd be my first though so we'll see. Not sure if that would make it for this year's holiday.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
Old 02-01-2011, 02:56 PM

I should but I just don't have the energy to plan one more thing. I have a vague idea of what Im going to do for the holidays but not 100% and I have no idea what to do for the girls. Im still waiting to see if DH will even be HOME for the holidays, he might be deploying sometime this summer and if hes not home then Ill probably do a lot less than I would if he was.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 02-14-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to see you here!! 

I am flying overseas this week and am bringing a gigantic skein of cotton holiday yarn and plan to knit, knit, knit to pass the time.  I've got 19 hours of flying time ahead of me, plus some long train rides, but I'm going to be prepared! 

I'm hoping for all celebrations this year to be hand-made!

What are you working on (or dreaming of working on)?? 

Peace, joyfulheart

Old 02-16-2011, 05:37 AM

I'm not sure what Ill be doing yet.. I'm thinking of doing matching necklaces/bracelets/earrings with a cloth jewelry organizer for the women in the family. My oldest really wants to learn to read so I'm thinking of making her a reading tent..

I don't know what else, the guys in my family are hard.. Maybe Ill do hats/scarfs for them all.. but they live in Florida so it doesn't get that cold.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

IDK what to make anymore. DS will be 11 this year.  I don't trade gifts with most of my extended family.  I do love crafting though.  Im starting quasi art thearpy this week so maybe I will finally learn some drawing/painting skills  LOL.

I love crocheting, cross stitch, latch hook, but I dont have any ideas on what I will be making for 2011

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I bought a small journal and wrote out all the holidays for 2011, including birthdays, Mother's Day, etc. and started filling in what I want to make

Best idea ever...I am definitely stealing!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 AM

joyfulheart- as you fill in your journal with idea on what to make, be sure to post them.  I want to craft, but am having crafters-block, lol.  So I'll be looking to steal ideas as we go!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softmama View Post

joyfulheart- as you fill in your journal with idea on what to make, be sure to post them.  I want to craft, but am having crafters-block, lol.  So I'll be looking to steal ideas as we go!

Yes, I will.  And, I would love to hear what others are planning, too!

Right now, I'm about 4,000 miles away from home and my journal!  It took over 10 hours of flying time and 2 hours of train riding to get here, and I had the world's biggest skein of holiday yarn with me to knit fun washcloths to give with homemade soap.  Guess how much knitting I got done -- about 10 rows!  Ha!  Well, tomorrow we fly home, so maybe I will get with it!

Keep dreaming of handmade holidays!  I know I am!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 AM

Love the journal idea!I do handmade gifts all year long but the non Christmas ones always sneak up on me.

I've been busy coming up with art projects for our homeschool co-op group and haven't given much thought to gifts lately.Maybe I need the kids' projects to be stuff I want to make as gifts.That way when I'm making an example I'm making a gift.HA!HA!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:10 PM

I just made my daughter a bag to take to swim class but I thought it would make a cute gift so I thought I'd share.Plus it was so inexpensive to make.I used a thrifted canvas bag that was printed on.I covered one side with pockets and the other is decorative.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

I just made my daughter a bag to take to swim class but I thought it would make a cute gift so I thought I'd share.Plus it was so inexpensive to make.I used a thrifted canvas bag that was printed on.I covered one side with pockets and the other is decorative.

So cute! 

I've made a few things to give as gifts, too, and when I'm not so tired, I'll post what I've done!  (Mostly for Mother's Day and my niece's birthday, oh and end-of-year teacher gifts!)

Old 03-03-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post

So cute! 

I've made a few things to give as gifts, too, and when I'm not so tired, I'll post what I've done!  (Mostly for Mother's Day and my niece's birthday, oh and end-of-year teacher gifts!)

Thanks!

And Yay!I love to see the handmades!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

I have been slowly filling out my journal of 2011 handmade gift giving ideas.

I am done making Mother's Day gifts for my mama -- a knit hand towel made with organic cotton yarn; two multi-colored (to match her newly painted bathroom) wash-cloths with hand-made lavender soap; and a funky little tote I made during a sewing class I recently took.  I think she will be pleased.  I will mail it all to her with some loaves of her favorite bread that she can't find in her home-town, but I can here.  I have no idea how to attach pictures to this post, or I would.

I have also been knitting wash-cloths in a basket-weave pattern to go with home-made soap as part of end-of-year-teacher gifts.

I plan on making pineapple jelly and grape jelly also as part of end-of-year teacher gifts.

What are you all creating or dreaming of creating?  Anyone else start a journal of gift ideas??

Peace!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post

I have been slowly filling out my journal of 2011 handmade gift giving ideas.

I am done making Mother's Day gifts for my mama -- a knit hand towel made with organic cotton yarn; two multi-colored (to match her newly painted bathroom) wash-cloths with hand-made lavender soap; and a funky little tote I made during a sewing class I recently took.  I think she will be pleased.  I will mail it all to her with some loaves of her favorite bread that she can't find in her home-town, but I can here.  I have no idea how to attach pictures to this post, or I would.

I have also been knitting wash-cloths in a basket-weave pattern to go with home-made soap as part of end-of-year-teacher gifts.

I plan on making pineapple jelly and grape jelly also as part of end-of-year teacher gifts.

What are you all creating or dreaming of creating?  Anyone else start a journal of gift ideas??

Peace!

If you want to add a pic,there is a little multi colored square in the rectangle with the smiley face.Click on that.Mine are always so huge that I just link to my flickr instead.

Nice mother's day gifts!I'm trying to make my mom a silverware wind chime but I'm having trouble drilling through the silverware.

I made a calendar for myself and then a similar journal for my cousin's birthday but haven't gotten it together enough to make a gift making journal for myself.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

If you want to add a pic,there is a little multi colored square in the rectangle with the smiley face.Click on that.Mine are always so huge that I just link to my flickr instead.

Nice mother's day gifts!I'm trying to make my mom a silverware wind chime but I'm having trouble drilling through the silverware.

I made a calendar for myself and then a similar journal for my cousin's birthday but haven't gotten it together enough to make a gift making journal for myself.

Got it!  Thanks.  I'm so bad, though, I don't even know how to get pictures from the camera to computer.  I bet, though, if I tried hard enough I could figure it out.  Would love to post photos!

Great idea to make a silverware wind chime!  I would love to get that as a gift!

Cute cover.  Love the fabric.  You are so talented, rere!

And, hello to everyone else, too!  Happy crafting!  So fun...sigh..

Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Thanks to this thread I started planning too. Christmas I'll make more candy and share it more, last couple years it was just for us. I'm thinking soy teacup candles for all the women in my life, maybe chai scented with eo's. The kids and guys I'll buy toys for this time. Dad always wants my handmade soaps so I'll send more of those. I'm planning sweaters for dh and ds1 already, and Christmas stockings for ds2 and dh. But other holidays? Mother's day and father's day I guess could do something, but what?

Old 03-17-2011, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post

Thanks to this thread I started planning too. Christmas I'll make more candy and share it more, last couple years it was just for us. I'm thinking soy teacup candles for all the women in my life, maybe chai scented with eo's. The kids and guys I'll buy toys for this time. Dad always wants my handmade soaps so I'll send more of those. I'm planning sweaters for dh and ds1 already, and Christmas stockings for ds2 and dh. But other holidays? Mother's day and father's day I guess could do something, but what?

Soy teacup candles are a great idea.  I may have to borrow it from you!

What about for Mother's Day, since you knit or crochet, some hand-knit washcloths and hand towels in a fun pattern to go with some of your handmade soap?  Just an idea...

Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 PM

I haven't even thought about anything yet! The baby is keeping me busy and the move. Hopefully things calm down soon. Easter is sneaking up on me and Im suppose to be making a sock monkey for DD2's Easter Basket. My machines are packed and I won't be seeing them again anytime soon so a family friend is loaning me her spare until I either get a new machine (mines been acting up so DH is trying to convince me to replace it.. Ive been spending 10 minutes fixing it for every 1 minute of sewing time) or get mine back. Shes such a sweetie for loaning me hers.

Im going to brainstorm some ideas soon. I need mother's day ideas. I did see a neat idea of making photo cubes out of CD cases, anyone know where I can get clear cases without the CDs? I don't have any since most of my CDs are old and I don't save the case, they go right into a binder when I get them. I just found out that my BIL will be with us for mothers day as well as my SIL so this will be the first mother's day in like 10 years my MIL will have all her children in one place. Id love to get some good pictures of DH and his siblings to do something special for my MIL. If I don't do the photo cube I might do a collage of the children and grandchildren since 4 of her 5 grandchildren will be there for mother's day as well.

Other than my MIL I need to think of something to do for my grandmas-in-law. Im thinking of just framing pictures of the children and having them draw pictures. One of them will not be happy no matter what I do and the other will be happy no matter what so I figured it would work. My grandma I always send flowers to (have for the last 8 years at least) so Ill order flowers closer to when mother's day is.

After Mother's day my husband deploys (I know not a holiday, no where close but it is something I need to do a few things for) Im going to make a small photo album of the family for him to take with him. Im also going to try to knit up some black beanies (only colors allowed in uniform are brown and black) for him to take with him.. It gets cold in the winter time (I know, I was out there during the winter) so I want to make sure he has stuff to keep him warm. I might try some gloves as well but Im not the greatest at knitting so it might be better if I stick to simple things.

After that two of my three SILs have birthdays. One in June, last few years we have gotten her Harry Potter movies, I guess another new one is coming out and DH wants me to order it and send it to her for her birthday. The other one Im thinking of getting a cross stitch kit of Eeyore pillow cases. She loves eeyore and just like me she loves having a ton of pillows on her bed. Im also thinking of doing a small photo album of the girls for her, shes always complaining she doesn't have enough pictures of us. Although I might not since Im going to be living down the street from my in-laws while DH is deployed so she will get to see the children on a daily basis if she wants.

Ok, enough brain storming. DS wants to nurse again then I need to work on packing up stuff for the move.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

I did see a neat idea of making photo cubes out of CD cases, anyone know where I can get clear cases without the CDs? I don't have any since most of my CDs are old and I don't save the case, they go right into a binder when I get them

I've purchased CD cases at places like Office Max or Office Depot. 

A new baby and a move?  Wow!  Congrats on the new baby and I hope your move goes smoothly!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:58 PM

Still no Christmas making but I did make a blanket and teether for a baby shower gift.

Maybe I need to make a list to get motivated...

Old 04-27-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Cute, rere!

I just started knitting a hat for my nephew using superwash merino wool.  It's soft, so very kid-friendly.  I will also knit hats for my other nephew and niece.  That's what I've started for the winter holidays so far!!

My Mother's Day gifts for my mom are done.  I sewed a super cute tote bag, lined with pockets out of decorator fabric, so it's a little thicker than what would have been out of cotton fabric.  I also knitted her a hand-towel for her bathroom using organic cotton yarn in an earth tone color.  And, some washcloths to match the crazy turquoise color she just painted in her bathroom.

Anyone else working on anything for the holidays, or just general gift-giving???

Peace!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 PM

I found this fort kit tutorial in my internet surfing today and thought I'd share it. Unfortunatetly I think all the kids I know are still too young for it (exept maybe the 5 year-old?) but it would be a great idea for an older child. If I do end up making it, I think I'll use some of the modifications on this blog post though.

I really need to sit down and compile a list (aka action plan) for Christmas gifts. I do know my brother's getting a scarf (and maybe a wool hat too), and I liked how the freezer paper stenciling worked out on one gift I made last year so I can see myself doing more of those.

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

Old 05-02-2011, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscanadian View Post

I found this fort kit tutorial in my internet surfing today and thought I'd share it. Unfortunatetly I think all the kids I know are still too young for it (exept maybe the 5 year-old?) but it would be a great idea for an older child. If I do end up making it, I think I'll use some of the modifications on this blog post though.

I really need to sit down and compile a list (aka action plan) for Christmas gifts. I do know my brother's getting a scarf (and maybe a wool hat too), and I liked how the freezer paper stenciling worked out on one gift I made last year so I can see myself doing more of those.

What a great gift idea.  I think a 5 year-old would use it for sure. 

I just finished a knitted hat for my youngest nephew for Christmas.  It's the first hat I've made in years and I love the way it turned out.  I am not clever enough, however, to post a picture of it!

Peace ~

Old 05-04-2011, 05:20 AM

Formy mothers birthday I made a "pampering kit" that hade a knit wash cloth, a soap sack, homemade lotion bar nuggets and homemade lemon sugar scrub. I did the same for my MIL for mother's day and added a knit market bag. My mom got just the knit market bag and pictures I took of the kids. I'm making the women in my family socks for Christmas, My sister's are done. Sis is getting a market bag and lotion bar nuggets for her birthday this month. Dh is hopefully getting his Celtic knotwork scarf for Father's day ( it was supposed to be for Christmas then birthday....). Niece's and ds's birthday are still up in the air.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:45 PM

I am already planning our holiday gifting, as well. I have in mind apple butter and biscuit mix, blueberry syrup and pancake mix, and cocoa mix and homemade marshmallows.

I am also planning on making coasters, placemats and bags to cover the mixes, plus I have some yards of chalkboard fabric that need to be used desperately. I am ISO something to do with that. 

Subbing for great ideas!

Jennifer
Valrico, FL
Old 05-14-2011, 08:57 PM

magpie- are there little ones on your holiday making list? I made rolled up chalkboards for my girls (2 and 4) and they are great for car trips, doctor offices, church etc.. basically anyplace that you need them to be quiet. They are also super simple to make.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:48 PM

HA!Love the fort kit idea!

Made a wrist wallet for an awesome 15 yr old.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:01 PM

Ok I think I'll start an official list for motivation.

Husband-(finished)

Daughter(7yrs)-OP(finished)

Mom-Leg warmers(finished) mittens(finished) and hooded scarf(finished)

Stepfather-photo art(finished)

Sister-Leg warmers(finished)and mittens(finished)bath salts in nice jars(finished)colored soaps in a nice jar(finished)

BIL-pin holder(finished)

Nephew(2yrs old)-play food(finished) and mini shopping bag(finished)

Brother-cup cozy(finished) travel mug(have it) and teas and some sort of food?

Grab Bag- a stocking with syrup in it(finished)

MIL-journal(finished)tissue holder(finished)pouch(finished) and  photo calendar(finished)

Uncle-photo collage(finished)

5yr old Cousin-cape(finished)

Woman Friend- apron (finished)

Man Friend-sweater pillow(finished)

Teenage Boy Friend-t-shirt w/skinny tie freezer stenciled on(finished)

Tweenage Girl Friend-hat(finished)and matching mittens(finished)

7yr old Friend-pillow(finished)

Awesome Crafty Friend-funny pillow(finished)

Lady friend-apron(finished)

Neighbor Lady-Journal(finished)

Friends(a couple)-oven mitt (finished)and chocolate chip cookies(and mugs decorated by my daughter)

Friends(a family of 5)-blanket made from sweaters(finished)

Friends-garland(finished)

Ornament  Exchange - mouse(finished)

And my daughter's making list:

various cousins and aunts-decorated mini notebooks(finished)

Nani-candle holder(finished)calendar?

Grandfather-pot holder(finished)

Titi-lavender pouch(finished)

Uncle-book mark(finished)

cousin-decorated shirt(finished)

Grandma-gingerbread house(finished)

Friends(a grown couple)-decorated mugs(finished)

Neighbor Guy-pot holder(finished)

Friend-pot holder(finished)

User Tag List