Wall Decorations for DS's room - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need help figuring out how I can create cheap and light (as in "not heavy") wall decorations for DS's room.

I have wire strung across the wall above his bed so I can change out the decorations / his artwork / etc as he grows.  For the first year I had 8x8 scrapbook pages with pictures of family and friends with the theme "Who Loves Colin?"  For the past year I've had large fabric letters spelling out his name.  These letters were bought pre-made from the Target dollar bin.

He is now crazy for trains.  So I was hoping to come up with something train-related that I can hang from this wire from ribbons or something. I found Thomas the Train wall decals, so I didn't know if I could do anything with that.  I don't know if I'm too crazy about just sticking them to the wall.

Could I do something with fabric?  I cannot sew ANYTHING more complicated than a button (I'm serious) and have no sewing machine, but my mom could do something very simple for me if necessary.

Help wise mamas!  I'm drawing a total blank.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

well, I can't read and not reply so I came up with an idea or a few... redface.gif

Using the wire that you already have, could you make a paper train? In my head, I envisioned train cars, lead engine, and a caboose each made individually (paper or fabric glued to cardboard) and then attached to the wire. You could put anything you wanted on each train car to decorate it- pictures, the Thomas stickers you mentioned, his artwork, seasonally-themed items, etc.

I'm making my girl something akin to the flannel boards I had in Sunday school growing up. I'm just tacking up a large piece of white felt and cutting out shapes (geometric/building block types and other things she favors like flowers, nature items, houses, cars). To make a train theme, maybe Sharpie on some train tracks/buildings/roads like you would see on a train table then cutout felt trains for him to play with. You could even glue the Thomas stickers to the felt and that could be part of the train set.

Hope that helps

User Tag List