Turn receiving blankets into newborn diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A bunch of questions for the diaper-making experts out there:

Has anyone had any luck recycling old receiving blankets into newborn-size diapers?  I don't even know if flannel is a good fabric for this purpose.  Has anyone done this and had luck with it?

I don't have a serger, so I'd have to sew on a regular sewing machine -- are there directions out there for doing this? 

I'm not particularly good on a sewing machine, and using elastic scares me.  Can I make fitted diapers without elastic? 

What do I need to know/what do I need to have to start on this project?  I'm determined to recycle this fabric, but I can't figure out how to start...

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 PM

Flannel works well for the body of the dipe, but IME, it makes a lousy soaker. Terry (an old towel) or cotton fleece (an old cotton sweatshirt) work far better as the soaker.

You cannot make a fitted without elastic. If you are truly that afraid of elastic, then I'd skip fitteds and just use the blankets as flats.

I'll tell you the easiest and least headache-inducing way to put elastic into a dipe though... Decide where you want the elastic (i like legs and back), topstitch about 3/4 inch in along that section only (a little wider than your elastic - 3/4 in is good for 5/8 in elastic) stopping and starting where you want the elastic to start/stop. You just made a casing. Decide how long you need the piece of elastic to be (relaxed it should fit snugly around baby's thigh), and using a sharpie mark that length on the uncut elastic. Thread the elastic in the casing, make sure its not twisted and sew a line from the outside edge of the dipe to the previous line of stitching, catching the loose end of elastic in your stitches. Sew over this at least 3x. Pull the other end of the elastic until you can see your mark. Line it up, pin it in Place and sew the other end of the casing the same way. Now you can cut your elastic. Repeat for the other casings. You never have to stitch along taut elastic, which is a pain.

Another option is buttonhole elastic, which is wonderfully adjustable, uses similar casing setup, but you have to set in buttons in a way they wont tear out yet are still accesible.

Google for a free pattern, Ritas Rump Pockets are one ive heard of, it should have basic instructions with it. Or, easier would be buying a kit from Diaper Kits, so you can do one completely before attempting your own design.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 02-04-2011, 11:31 AM

Hi!  I'm still a newbie myself but I did find this post on DS and it looks really neat!  It's like the quick snap flap wrap and it doesn't use elastic.  Also, it would work for longer than just the newborn stage  HTH!!

See thread here: 

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742836

Shari

Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Great suggestions, thanks!  Cristeen, thanks so much for the encouragement and advice on elastic -- I also got a firm talking-to from a friend IRL yesterday who said, "elastic is easy, just suck it up and learn how to do it!"  So I'm going to take her advice and your directions, and I'm going to try it.  I bought elastic and velcro at the fabric store today, and I'm just going to figure it out. 

Of course, if I fail miserably at elastic, I'm glad to know I can always sew a flat foldable diaper out of a blanket, too!  Thanks for the link, blessed, and welcome to MDC! :) 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:18 AM

Hi! I made a dozen prefolds out of my receiving blankets then just made 4 diapers covers out of PUL to go over them and it turned out very well. The prefolds were very absorbent and worked out well plus they were really cute since they were receiving blankets.  I found an online tutorial for the pattern.   http://webpages.charter.net/rhamley/diapers/diapertext1.htm#pfold  I used terry cloth for an overnight diaper and tried a few with diaper flannel on the inside which worked very well.  I also tried putting some birdseye flat fold diaper in another.  I liked the diaper flannel better than any other insert.  But over all the diapers came out great.  I made a few with my regular sewing machine and the ends got very bulky.  I would try to find a way to serge the ends it made a big differnce.  If you can't find someone with a serger try zig zaging or overcasting the ends. Good Luck!!!!

Also if you want elastic try fold over elastic it is super easy to use and cuts out a lot of steps.... you just use it like bias tape and when you want it more gathered pull it as you sew it with an elastic zig zag stitch.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:06 PM

You can make fitted diapers without elastic. I have bunch of Rita Rump diapers with no elastic. I think for a newborn, all flannel would be fine, you couldn't need another soaker. The easiest option would be to learn some flat folds (like origami, kite, etc...) and just fold your receiving blankets that way. No sewing required! smile.gif

Mama to three

User Tag List