Sewing for friend who is an aspiring drag performer... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

~~~Just want to preface this with the fact that I am not looking for any  sort of political, religious, homophobic, etc. discussion in this thread at all. Just looking for resources. Thank you.~~~

A good friend of ours has decided to get into drag shows and pageants. I am very into fashion and was very flattered when he came to me asking if I was willing to volunteer my sewing/fashion skills to the cause. I've taken sewing classes and such since I was very young thanks to my grandmother and I have a pretty good machine, but I haven't worked with things like the padding he'll be wearing. Seems like some can be sewn into the clothes, and other kinds are worn independently of the outfit (like Spanx). Are there patterns for this out there or is it generally trial-and-error'ed to the person's shape and needs? Does anyone have experience sewing clothes for drag shows or could point me in the direction of any resources for this? All in all, it doesn't seem terribly different from any other sewing but I don't know what I don't know...

Thanks!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Have you tried craftster.org?  There are a lot of fun crazy ideas on there, and a bunch of tutorials.  

Old 02-17-2011, 08:15 AM

:confused:

I thought I subbed to this thread yesterday, but my post isn't here?

Anyway, I am interested in sewing skirts/dresses for men, but I'm not much of seamstress in the first place, so I'll listen in here and see what good info I can glean. I'm not planning to do drag stuff though, just casual to slightly dressy outfits. Not sure how to alter a pattern for a skirt so it would fit a man's body well, they are built differently from us women.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, craftster...I don't know why I forget about that site despite how many hours I've accumulated just browsing there!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

User Tag List