What's safe to fill a bean bag? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Know dd1 would love a bean bag, but I can't find one that's not going to off-gas horrible things forever. I could certainly sew one, but what to fill it with? Is it totally crazy o fill it with actual beans? Or maybe wool? Would that squish around and be remoldable? Buckwheat? Any other great ideas or sources? Favorite patterns? TIA.

Molly
#2 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 11:28 AM

I just filled ours with beans.  We've had them for years with no problems. smile.gif

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#3 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 11:43 AM

in my experience bean bags ARE filled with beans, hence the name.  You could use anything small hard and round, lentils, barley.

#4 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

It seemed like it must be at least historically possible, due to the name. Do you have to do anything to discourage pests, or are they not really a problem with a dried bean?

#5 of 20 Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 PM

Seems like the biggest detractor would be the potential weight (if it's a bean bag chair that could fit an adult, I mean - clearly I'm planning one for myself!). Would a chair filled with beans be too heavy to move?

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#6 of 20 Old 03-21-2011, 03:01 PM

We used popcorn for our cornhole bean bags.  It called for corn like you would get from a feed store, but we don't have a feed store near us, so we used regular popcorn.  That was 2 years ago.

mdcblog5.gif  Mama's Projects  This is my blog (mostly sewing, some cooking and gardening occasionally).
The link doesn't seem to be keeping, so here's the web address.  http://mommasewingprojects.blogspot.com/
#7 of 20 Old 03-21-2011, 05:29 PM

Just a warning about using corn, I made a bunch of corn freezer/hot packs a few years ago.  The extras (they weren't being frozen/microwaved periodically) got infested with something, I think pantry moths.  It was disgusting, and I had to throw all of them away, and I did bake the corn first.  I didn't have any trouble with actual beans in our bean bags.  Um, not that I know of.  I haven't cut one open.

By the way, I got the impression that the op meant bean bag chairs, not bean bag toys.  I can't imagine purchasing enough corn or beans to fill a bean bag chair!  Not to mention it would weigh a ton, and you'd still have the pest problem.  How about recycling stuff that you already own?  Packing peanuts, shopping bags, old pillows, etc.  If you have a source for a grease fleece, and don't mind the dirty work of cleaning it, that would make a good filling.  I mention that because I have 1 1/2 feed bags full of uncleaned grease fleece in my shed that need a big project:) 

#8 of 20 Old 03-21-2011, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

small bean bags = rice, beans, wheat berries, buckwheat hulls

large bean bag chairs = packing peanuts, cornstarch packing peanuts (more smooshy, so might not last as long), clean plastic bags, bubble wrap, polyester fiber fill, etc. I think real beans would be really, really heavy like 75lbs heavy.

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#9 of 20 Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

I did mean a chair. I calculated for lentils, and it would be conservatively over 100lbs. Yikes. I've settled on buckwheat. It seems to resist pests and moisture and generally be a good weight compromise and has much the same feel as a traditional bean bag chair. Each chair will be about 45lbs, which I can move around, but the kids can't. I think this is actually good for minimizing the risk they will suffocate each other. The price is up there compared to a regular bean bag chair, but very good for a natural filling and cover one. Each bag 45lb bag of buckwheat was $75.  I found a supplier who has these big bags for pillow and mattress makers in Seattle, which was great. I also discovered in my search that buckwheat hulls are sometimes sold as mulch. http://thebirkettmills.com/shop/mul-tex-buckwheat-hulls If you live somewhere it is carried so you don't have to pay for shipping it could be a good option. No one around here has it anymore, sadly.

If you have to order, I think this is the best price, though I didn't look into shipping costs: http://www.buckwheathull.com/

I'm typing this all up as it seems to be a pretty common question but no one ever updates with what they did. Hopefully now future searchers will get good ideas.

I'm now seriously considering making a mattress out of buckwheat hulls (more densly packed) for when the girls are ready for their own bed.

#10 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Would you mind posting the info for the supplier you found in Seattle?

Thanks!

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#11 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Winsor Trading Company

2450 6th Ave S # 209
Seattle, WA 98134-2029

(206) 937-4082
#12 of 20 Old 04-19-2012, 03:56 AM

What type of beans do you use in the bean bags?

#13 of 20 Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 AM

What type of beans do you use in your bean bags?

#14 of 20 Old 04-30-2012, 08:40 PM

ive done it may times with rice

#15 of 20 Old 07-21-2012, 08:00 PM

The rice didn't get moldy or anything? I am very interested in this.

#16 of 20 Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 AM

So did you sew your own bean bags?  I am making one for my teenager so it will need to be big.  I'm not much of a sewer so I may rather buy and fill with rice or buckwheat...Any ideas?  

#17 of 20 Old 10-24-2012, 11:09 AM

I just wanted to tell everyone that as of today (October 2012) I ordered 4 bags (23 lbs each) of buckwheat husks from Birkett mills and it cost me 120 with shipping. That is about 92 lbs of it!

Let me know if you find a better deal anywhere!

Mel

#18 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 PM

I made bean bags for the kids in the family this past christmas and used the Trader Joe's Organic Popping Corn kernels! I was going to use beans or split peas but I heard if they get wet then they sprout inside the bag. :) and with little kids drooling as much as they do I didn't want to take the risk. I was worried that Popcorn Kernels would have sharp edges that would poke out of the bag but NONE. They are super smooth, the perfect weight, and make the perfect bean bag sound - Good Luck!

married to my love, Keith (5.22.08)

mother to Declan (4.25.10) and Cullen (12.21.11)

Baby Boy #3 due January 8, 2014

#19 of 20 Old 04-10-2013, 06:48 PM

#20 of 20 Old 04-16-2013, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I have heard that putting the beans in the oven to kill off bugs before filling bags is a good idea, but I am also planning to make buckwheat ones...what about millet hulls? I know they are also used for pillows

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page