What sort of things inspire you to paint (acrylic, oil, etc.,)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love to paint. It relaxes me....I've made stuff for the kids bathroom recently that came out really cute and DS1 loves them, but I would like to take it up a notch and maybe start making stuff for our bedroom, bathroom and the living room.   I see stuff at local stores like Home Goods, Marshall's that I know I could totally do at home and it would be something that I made...and didn't spend a fortune on! 

So, what sort of things inspire you to paint?  Do you sketch when you're out and you see stuff that makes you say "hey, I could totally do that myself?  Or do you sorrt of let it sink it then take it home and do your own thing with it? 

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#2 of 8 Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Awesome!  I had no idea there was a "Fine Arts" forum on MDC!  You just made my day!  joy.gif

I clip cool images from magazines/newspapers which inspire me and keep them together in an envelope (Pier1 Imports has great ads for inspiration!). 

While surfing the net I also save my favorite images to a file specifically for this purpose.

Browsing the art prints section of home deco stores is great!...like you say, some of the ideas are super easy to make yourself. 

Look at online galleries or places like etsy and artfire as other ways to get new ideas and be inspired. 

I'm trying to get into the habit of always having a sketchbook with me!  Yesterday there was a lady in the choir at church whose face and demeanor just begged to be drawn and I was sooo annoyed I didn't have my sketchbook.  I think I'll make a small satchel just for my sketchbook and pencil case, and make a long strap so I can sling it on hands free.  Maybe that would help me take it more often. 

#3 of 8 Old 02-28-2011, 08:14 PM

Way to go - paint on!

I definitely get inspired by other people's paintings, in books, on the web, occasionally in person.

I've always loved drawing and painting, but for a while I was too hung up about what to paint, and why, and what it should mean, to the point that I'd never get started. 

A year ago I decided to make one painting a week (inspired by all the blogging daily painters on the web but not that ambitious!). When I paint regularly it stays in my mind, so I'm on the lookout for subjects at the grocery store, while driving, and on walks. I agree with Rush2ady about keeping a sketchbook on hand. I use mostly oil and some acrylic.

Blogging my paintings has helped me stick with it. Painting one thing inspires me to paint something else, and one goal leads to another. Also, when I'm not painting frequently I forget how much I enjoy it and get stuck on the intimidating questions again.

Daily Paintworks is an inspiring group of painters who just started up a weekly challenge anyone can participate in. It's a lot of fun. My DD and I have submitted art to it. 
#4 of 8 Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda View Post

Way to go - paint on!

I definitely get inspired by other people's paintings, in books, on the web, occasionally in person.

I've always loved drawing and painting, but for a while I was too hung up about what to paint, and why, and what it should mean, to the point that I'd never get started. 

A year ago I decided to make one painting a week (inspired by all the blogging daily painters on the web but not that ambitious!). When I paint regularly it stays in my mind, so I'm on the lookout for subjects at the grocery store, while driving, and on walks. I agree with Rush2ady about keeping a sketchbook on hand. I use mostly oil and some acrylic.

Blogging my paintings has helped me stick with it. Painting one thing inspires me to paint something else, and one goal leads to another. Also, when I'm not painting frequently I forget how much I enjoy it and get stuck on the intimidating questions again.

Daily Paintworks is an inspiring group of painters who just started up a weekly challenge anyone can participate in. It's a lot of fun. My DD and I have submitted art to it. 

Wow, great stuff, mama! Your paintings have certainly inspired me to do some still life drawings/paintings! Thank you. thumb.gif

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#5 of 8 Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Great work!  I love your paintings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda View Post

#6 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 02:18 PM

I am inspired by other people's paintings definitely, but also by the beautiful flowers I see outside or the shapes of the clouds. I prefer to paint really large murals on walls though so I only get to do that rarely and when I do I have plenty of ideas to draw from.

#7 of 8 Old 08-09-2011, 01:00 PM

It's the one thing I'm good at and is a great means of expression.

#8 of 8 Old 08-09-2011, 01:16 PM

Aside from just creating art for fun, I am creating intactivist art and social work that opposes circumcision. That is my motive for creating art. To protest and make congress pass an important bill in the near future five score years from now. This art will have a vital influence on the world and change the thinking of our senseless culture.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page