Sewing machine troubleshooting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I'm a newbie at sewing and am trying to figure out how to use my new machine.

Here's a problem I've run into that I hope someone can help with.

I'm doing a stitch sampler to start off with and no matter how I change my settings (width, length, tension), the stitches on the back of my fabric are very "baggy"- they pucker ( hope that gives you the correct visual.) The stitches on the front of the fabric are tight and even for the most part.

Is this from the thread in the bobbin? From my settings? From the way I'm holding the thread as I guide the fabric through ( I've tried holding it and not holding it and it doesn't seem to matter)?

Help!

(FYI, I have a singer machine)
#2 of 9 Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

No one knows?
#3 of 9 Old 03-08-2011, 09:15 AM

Well, it's hard to say without being there.  But,

You said you have changed the tension.  Have you checked it with each tension change?  And have you run through all the tension settings?  Last time I had this problem, it was a tension issue but it took me forever to figure it out because I wasn't running through the entire setting, from loose to tight.

It could be an issue with threading the bobbin-I put it in upside down once and got this.  It could also be that your upper thread is threaded wrong and is pulling tight as a result, making it look like the lower is looser. 

Have you run through all the troubleshooting steps in your manual?

#4 of 9 Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 AM

Completely rethread your machine, making sure to do both the top AND the bottom threads right.  Make sure the bobbin is in the right way.  Adjust the tension from loosest to tightest and back again a few times, and the width from narrowest to widest a few times.  Set the tension, width, and length of the stitches, to the middle setting for each and try again.  Usually when the thread loops under the fabric like you're describing, it's because the tension of the upper thread is too slack.  If rethreading and resetting doesn't take care of the problem, slowly increase the upper tension.  If that still doesn't work, you'll need to have your machine looked at by someone local.  There's only so much trouble-shooting that can be done over an internet connection, and I'm not even about to instruct you to disassemble your machine.

#5 of 9 Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 AM

I'm having a problem also...eveyr time I sew, the bottom has 400000 threads coming out and then jams the whole machine...I keep re threading it and re doing the whole thing but keep having the same problem...

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#6 of 9 Old 03-09-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. It's done this every time I've used it I've rethreaded my bobbin and needle several times ( have had the machine for months).

I will check to see if putting the bobbin in facing the other way helps. I will also continue to play with tension.

I don't know where my manual is unfortunately. Thanks though.
#7 of 9 Old 03-10-2011, 04:45 PM

I had an older singer for a while and I didn't have the instruction manual for it at all.  I went to the Singer website and was able to download a free copy of it which helped me discover that I had been winding my bobbin incorrectly, which caused the same problem you are describing.  I found out that there is a certain way that you have to criss cross the thread around the circular thread guide or else the bobbin winds too loosely.  I'd recommend finding copy of the manual for your model on the Singer site to be sure you aren't making the same mistake I made many times.

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#8 of 9 Old 03-11-2011, 09:17 PM

Isn't it crazy how just HOW you put the thread on/around the guide for winding can make a massive difference?

Kylix, if you still can't figure it out, a trip to a sewing machine repair shop will be time and money well-spent.

#9 of 9 Old 03-12-2011, 04:38 PM

Do you have your manual?  Most have a really handy diagram showing tension issues.  Basically, if the top of the stitch is pulled to the bottom, your bottom tension is too high relative to the top, and if the bottom of the stitch is pulled to the top, your top tension is too high relative to the bottom.  I have an old Singer (a 500A), and it is really sensitive to tension.  I need to adjust it when I change fabrics and from straight to zig zag.  I also regularly adjust my bottom (bobbin) tension.  If you don't have a manual, get one.  It'll help you a lot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page