Mothering Forum banner

covers-foe or top-stitch?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mother4Jesus 
#1 ·
has anyone made covers without using foe? i have tried (and failed) at using it. i don't know what my problem is :(

do you think it would work to turn them and top stitch? i have never made covers before and i would like to try. my plan is to use pul for the inside and a poly knit for the outside. any suggestions/advice/comments would be extremely helpful!!

#3 ·
i found a 100% poly fleece bias tape that's super soft, I'm using that on my covers, and it looks really nice. the cover itself has internal elastic sewn in the seam allowance along the leg, then turned, and top stitched. it is a little over kill because i could use the bias for a casing but it holds together neatly, and i don't have to fuss with stringing anything together. I'm looking into cutting my own fleece bias, but i haven't reached the financial need at this point. each cover is less than 10.00$ to make so i treat myself with the package stuff. hope this helps. the pattern i use is a variant on RRP's and the fleece bias is at JoAnn's and every other fabric store Ive been to, for less than a dollar a yard. red, white, green and pink.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk98 View Post

has anyone made covers without using foe? i have tried (and failed) at using it. i don't know what my problem is :(

do you think it would work to turn them and top stitch? i have never made covers before and i would like to try. my plan is to use pul for the inside and a poly knit for the outside. any suggestions/advice/comments would be extremely helpful!!
It took me a while to get the hand of FOE on covers. I made my covers T & T style. You can definatley use the two layers. I do think it looks much neater but be careful with the elastic in the legs. I think have the PUL w/ elasic on the thighs can be a bit tighter then FOE.

Here is what I've used,

Crushed panne outter w/ PUL inner. THis is great because I embroider my crushed panne and I don't have to worry about sealing that. I alos love all the colors I can get at Joann's. (Crushed panne is also excellent for pocket diapers, It wicks very quickly)

I am also a MInky queen. I love minky. I also embroider or use the cute prints for my outter w/ PUL inner.

Or you can just do two layers of PUL...if you wanted to.

I hope this helps.

God BLess,
Laura

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.