Getting a zipper back on track - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a zip-around wallet that is made from ballistic nylon (Timbuk2).  The zipper has come off its track.  Everything is fine in that the zipper nor the track are actually broken or bent that I can see.  

I called a local seamstress and she told me that the entire zipper component would need to be replaced.  I am hoping there's a better option and thought I'd ask here.  

Anyone know if there is a way just to get it back onto its track without having to remove the whole zipper system and put in a new one?

#2 of 5 Old 05-16-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Bump....shy.gif

#3 of 5 Old 05-20-2011, 06:54 PM

The only thing I can think of would be to rub a little soap on the zipper teeth - to lubricate them up a bit...then try and zip up - but yeah, once a zipper is shot....theres not much you can do.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#4 of 5 Old 05-21-2011, 05:39 PM

It may not need to be replaced, unless the zipper pull is bent so it won't hold the teeth and will come off again.  Check youtube for repairing a zipper.  You need to access the bottom end of the zipper.  If you can, pick a few stitches to free the bottom end of the zipper, then pull the zipper end out of the wallet.  Then pull the pull down and off the teeth (cut off the stop if there is one), and simply rethread it.  Then you just have to tuck the zipper back into your wallet and replace the stitches you took out.  I'm just guessing here what your wallet looks like, so if I'm wrong, perhaps you'll still get the gist of it.

#5 of 5 Old 05-23-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

All wonderful suggestions!  I will give them a try.  Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page