Best first project for a new sewer? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-10-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! So my (awesome) mom let me take her $4000 Bernina sewing/embroidery machine because she never got much use out of it. She's more of a crafter so sewing never stuck with her. I've wanted to learn how to sew for a while now but I feel rather intimidated. I once took a sewing class but it was very poorly organized and didn't really help me at all. Is doing a pillow really the best first project? Any other ideas out there for how to practice my sewing skills?

#2 of 9 Old 04-21-2011, 09:31 PM

I would probably start with a simple bag - ie a reusable shopping bag. There are lots of great step by step tutorials out there. And you can pick fabric up for a song (its a great way to recycle vintage sheeting for example.)  For a pillow to be usable it needs to be fairly well done but a bag is usable no matter how it turns out - even if it just catches the odd socks in your laundry room.

There are some new learn to sew books on the market. I'd check the library and don't forget to look in the kids section.  When I am trying to learn a new skill often I find kids' books are the most clear and easiest to follow.

Good luck

Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#3 of 9 Old 04-22-2011, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

When I was starting I made fabric gift bags, which we reuse for birthdays and Christmas. I started off with a very simple one - basically a rectangle with a hem at the top, and a ribbon sewn on near the top to tie around; and then got a bit more adventurous and did several in different shapes, with casings, French seams (which are awesome, look 'em up!) and so on. You could use them to practice machine applique, topstitching, sewing rickrack or ribbon on, lining them with other materials, working with cottons or knits or sheers, patchwork... mine were fairly plain, in countryish subdued colours, but you could go really nuts and make beaded, fringed, quilted ones if you wanted to!

Sturdy reusable shopping bags were another early project. Skirts can be fairly simple too - definitely the easiest kind of adult-sized garment to make. Google "paneled skirt tutorial". You could also make a peg bag, or a fabric Advent calendar with little pockets, or a roll-up crayon holder (Indie Tutes has a good tutorial for that), or one of those long sausagey bags to keep plastic bags in, or pillow/cushion covers, or a wheatie bag, or a pincushion, or placemats, or a simple child's apron, or potholders, or an elasticated headband....

There are heaps of amazing sewing tutes online. I like "Ruffles and Stuff" and Indie Tutes, but in general if you just google "tutorial [item]" you'll find a few.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#4 of 9 Old 04-28-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

I am always looking to reduce waste - so making a shopping bag for my trips to the co-op/farmers market sounds perfect! Thanks!

#5 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 05:26 PM

Pillowcases are fun and easy.  There are tutorials online.  

#6 of 9 Old 07-27-2011, 08:44 AM

Baby blankets are fun an satisfying. Flannel one side, calico on the other. Don't feel scared, you'll love sewing, it is so freakin' satisfying : )  Good Luck!!

Marica

#7 of 9 Old 09-15-2011, 06:49 AM

Shorts or skirts are super simple and practical. Also the patterns that are like "sew so easy" or whatever the other name for them are all really easy. Aprons are fun and easy.. they make great gifts as well.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#8 of 9 Old 10-24-2011, 05:38 AM

I realize this is an old thread, but for any other beginners out there, here are some great ideas for first projects:

Tote Bag Patterns

Apron Patterns

Baby Bib Patterns

Purse Patterns

Pillow Patterns

#9 of 9 Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 AM

I started out sewing by cutting a flannel receiving blanket into squares and sewing them into hankies.  You can't get much easier than that!

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page