If you could buy any machine.... - Mothering Forums
Arts & Crafts > If you could buy any machine....
sunnysandiegan's Avatar sunnysandiegan 12:22 AM 04-27-2011

Hi - My sewing machine has one fatal flaw that is beginning to bug me more and more. The presser foot doesn't stay put, as in lined up straight. It wiggles and lets the fabric yank it off-center. Any tricks or tips for that would be awesome!!!!

Meanwhile, I am wondering if you had an endless well of cash (Ha ha ha!), what machine would you buy and why?

I have an older Singer sewing machine (1998) that does heavy fabric and stretch fabric and has 18 stitches. The presser foot is annoying, but otherwise the machine works.

A friend is letting me borrow a White serger indefinitely. (Her DH gave it to her and she doesn't have the heart to tell him she never wanted it. She won't sell it nor use it, so letting someone borrow it indefinitely was her answer.) It is decent enough, but I have broken dozens of needles on it. It came with a VHS tape (yes, really) and I watched it over and over and over again. We ditched our VCR and DH digitized the tape for me. LOL

A different friend is letting my DD (10) borrow her Brother sewing machine indefinitely. (She never uses it and feels better knowing she is helping my DD, whom she adores.) When I was helping DD set it up for a class she attended a few months in a row (once a month basic sewing class with her bff), I discovered how nice the presser foot is compared to mine! It is a LOT easier to maintain straight seams with a presser foot that holds the fabric down firmly and stays positioned straight/plumb/lined-up (whatever you want to call it)!!!!!

Now, DD is going to camp and she wanted to embroider her name on everything. I hand-stitched her initials or first name (depending on the item), but it reminded me I have always wanted an embroidery machine.

I have three machines cluttering up a small room, but I only technically own one. I can return two to their proper owners, but we are actually using them all. Are there any good multi-function machines out there now?

Also, for someone who actually sews a variety of items/fabrics and wants to embroider, overlock stitch, quilt, etc., what is the "ideal" combination of machines?

zebra15's Avatar zebra15 01:31 AM 05-04-2011

Bumping for you because I want to know....

Like I don't have enough crafts going on

Can anyone help Sunny??

sabrinat's Avatar sabrinat 07:26 PM 06-19-2011

Have you thought of trying a walking foot with the machine? 

Otherwise to me the best machine to have is one that has the features that are important to the type of sewing you do and within your budget. I suggest a vintage machine if you're just doing basic sewing. I think a needle down option is really useful if you are quilting. Otherwise you don't need a ton of fancy stitches. 

ms.shell's Avatar ms.shell 08:38 PM 06-20-2011

i love janome sewing machines. check overstock periodically and you can get a great deal on a refurbed janome.

i used to think i wanted an embroidery machine, but I just found out it is easy to embroider on a regular sewing machine using the darning foot, the feed dogs dropped, and a zigzag (satin) stitch.  you can even use a disappearing marker to draw the initials or designs first, and follow the lines.  i have been really surprised and pleased to find out how easy this is- the darning foot is my new favorite foot, it sounds like this would be an excellent small investment for your daughter.  just be sure to use some stabilizer (stitch and tear) behind the design. 

i can even do this on my "new" 1960 Singer, as the janome feet fit this machine, too.

i have only ever hated one sewing machine, and it was a basic brother.

sunnysandiegan's Avatar sunnysandiegan 09:49 PM 07-06-2011

Thanks!

I do use all the fancy stitches and I quilt and sew and embroider freehand. I also sew on paper (crafting). I use the serger a lot, too...mostly for 3-thread rolled hems, but other stitches/uses, too.

texmati's Avatar texmati 12:20 PM 07-07-2011

um... im no expert but really like my janome. ieas resistant to a computer macine but really like the speed regulator and needle ep down. i wish the free arm was narrower, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post

i love janome sewing machines. check overstock periodically and you can get a great deal on a refurbed janome.

i used to think i wanted an embroidery machine, but I just found out it is easy to embroider on a regular sewing machine using the darning foot, the feed dogs dropped, and a zigzag (satin) stitch.  you can even use a disappearing marker to draw the initials or designs first, and follow the lines.  i have been really surprised and pleased to find out how easy this is- the darning foot is my new favorite foot, it sounds like this would be an excellent small investment for your daughter.  just be sure to use some stabilizer (stitch and tear) behind the design. 

i can even do this on my "new" 1960 Singer, as the janome feet fit this machine, too.

i have only ever hated one sewing machine, and it was a basic brother.

Up