Wool diaper soaker for night-time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-27-2011, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cross-posted in Diaper Making.

My friend has asked me to knit a wool soaker for her son (15 months) for night-time. Of the patterns on Ravelry, does anyone know whether some are better than others for night-time use? I could also knit a doubler to go with it, but I'd like the best I can do without the doubler too - I'm trying to convert her to wool! Thanks!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#2 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I don't think that the pattern necessarily makes the soaker better or worse for night time use; I tend to focus on the yarn.  For nighttime, I would use a yarn like Peace Fleece.  Or, alternatively, find a felted pattern.  A felted soaker would be super for night time.  I do have one in mind, though, that I think may use a slip stitch pattern or something to create a heavier fabric through the wet zone.  I'll find it and edit my post.

Here is one night time pattern; this one is felted and free; this one is also recommended for night time and is free; and this is the first one that came to mind.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#3 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 PM

I've tried the Curly Purly, Snapdragon, Little Turtle Knits and the Evie Pants all in one soaker. I like the Evie Pants one best by far. I also like the longies/shorties/skirty in that pattern.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#4 of 8 Old 05-29-2011, 08:07 AM

I just finished a soaker that turned out HUGE. Any suggestions on shrinking the hell of it? It is, unfortunately a wool/acrylic mix, approx 21/79 wool/acrylic :(

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#5 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 11:28 AM

I think any soaker pattern will work as long as you use a really sturdy wool yarn with lots of lanolin in it already.  I'd suggest Peace Fleece or Marr Haven as these are minimally processed. 

I have a free pattern, too.  =)  Pictures available on Ravelry.

#6 of 8 Old 07-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatemama1 View Post

I just finished a soaker that turned out HUGE. Any suggestions on shrinking the hell of it? It is, unfortunately a wool/acrylic mix, approx 21/79 wool/acrylic :(

Soakers really need to be made out of 100% wool to be effective. You could try heavily lanolizing it, but I think it will still probably leak =( I dont think acrylic shrinks either. Could you unravel it and use the yarn for something else?

I LOVE the snapdragon soaker pattern on ravelry. I have made many of them for DS! I also love the Das Monster longies pattern. Even if you dont do the monster face, I love the way they fit,

cromulent likes this.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#7 of 8 Old 08-05-2011, 05:45 AM

I really love Sheepy Time Knit's pattern for soakers and skirties. I haven't tried the longies yet, because it has been too hot for long pants. I also liked curly purly, even though knitting worsted weight on size 3 needles was not the best thing ever for my wrists. Now that baby Eleanor is over 15lbs, I'm actually letting myself make all the soakers since she should be able to wear them more than two weeks.

#8 of 8 Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 AM

Do you crochet?

Crocheted soakers have less stretch, but they are thicker and perfect for night time use.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page