Making cushions for a chair need recs for fabric and filling please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have an old chair that dh's grandfather made and the foam on the cushions is disintegrating. I finally pulled them off and tossed them. We want to make some cushions but are unsure of the "filling" to use and what type of fabric would work best. Anyone have any recs that would be eco friendly and not too expensive? Thanks!

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

What size do the cushions need to be?  Joann Fabrics has 24X24X3 premade pillow forms that were a good size for the chair cushions I just replaced.  They are polyfill, a little pricey but sign up for coupons and get them for 40% off.  I used a polyester upholstery fabric just because it was the only patterned fabric in the store that I liked for my particular purpose.  It smelled funny for a while even after I washed it.  Any heavier weight fabric should be fine.  You can use cotton.  Just prewash so it doesn't shrink after you sew it.  I made the cushion covers with zippers so I can wash them.

Polyfill pillows will probably flatten with use.  Pillows with a foam core will spring back better over time.  You can find greener foam options in standard sizes.  I think they are made with corn.  People that use foam usually wrap it with a layer of batting.  The batting layer makes a big difference in comfort when you use foam.  You can buy cotton or polyester batting.  If you do that, I would cover it all in a lightweight fabric (muslin or an old sheet) so it all stays together if you want to remove and wash the main upholstery fabric.

The cushions I just replaced were really old cushions that actually had springs inside.  The springs were covered in muslin.  Then they had a layer of straw-like fiber, followed by thick cotton batting.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

User Tag List