Chicken Bedding for Toddler... Need inspiration - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2011, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would like to make my chicken obsessed 2 year old some bedding featuring her favorite friends but have not been inspired by the mainly red, black white and yellow chicken fabrics that  I have been able to locate.  Looking more for greens, pinks and browns.  Does any one have any ideas for me?  Or maybe you have seen something that could be adapted to the chicken theme?  Sewing is in my skill set and I can quilt but lets just say that it tests my patience so would like to avoid that if I can.  Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 06:13 PM

http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2.aspx?Source=Header&SearchText=chicken&CategoryID=1d5f47dc-9991-4088-93f3-26a376046a5e

http://www.etsy.com/search/supplies?search_submit=&q=chicken+fabric

Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 AM

i was about to type that alexander henry farmdale series.. i LOVE that. 

i also love that your baby <3's the chicken3.gif

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

i was about to type that alexander henry farmdale series.. i LOVE that. 

i also love that your baby <3's the chicken3.gif

I just looked Alexander up. Love the fabrics!

I might do some curtains for DD in the farmdale series.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Old 06-24-2011, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You could use a chicken rubber stamp and fabric paint/ink to stamp a chicken border on plain pillowcases, etc.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 07-02-2011, 07:39 AM

my m-i-l appliqued chickens and they were the cutest dang blocks i have ever seen.  i wish there was a picture of that quilt....but every chicken was different; there were nests and eggs, and chicken wire fabric (and LOTS of gorgeous fabrics for making the colorful chickens), it was so cute.  I bet money she bought a pattern to make it (can't ask her, she died; but maybe we could find it online, i'll look...)

you could design chicken appliques yourself.

and to make less of them, you could combine that with garden blocks.  i am doing some where you use two floral prints as half square triangles (for the flowerbeds), and then strips of brown or green on two sides as the flowerbed edging...then you put 4 together to make big square beds with 8 triangular sections.

or you could just use regular patchwork or applique flowers (or vegetable prints!) for the "garden."

Good luck!

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 07-04-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post

my m-i-l appliqued chickens and they were the cutest dang blocks i have ever seen.  i wish there was a picture of that quilt....but every chicken was different; there were nests and eggs, and chicken wire fabric (and LOTS of gorgeous fabrics for making the colorful chickens), it was so cute.  I bet money she bought a pattern to make it (can't ask her, she died; but maybe we could find it online, i'll look...)

you could design chicken appliques yourself.

and to make less of them, you could combine that with garden blocks.  i am doing some where you use two floral prints as half square triangles (for the flowerbeds), and then strips of brown or green on two sides as the flowerbed edging...then you put 4 together to make big square beds with 8 triangular sections.

or you could just use regular patchwork or applique flowers (or vegetable prints!) for the "garden."

Good luck!

I am sure that is the pattern I have- New Chicks on the Block. #P-107  www.withneedleandthread.com    I keep intending to make this- but it is intimidating!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 07-07-2011, 12:55 PM

wow, glad you found it iowaorganic;  what you linked would be perfect for OPs color scheme choices!  But actually the one my m-i-l did was another chicken pattern from that same company, on that same page. it is #p73 Chanticleer and Company.   Now I am thinking about trying to applique a chicken quilt myself, so thanks to you both!  lol

Mama to 3 boys 

User Tag List