Serger seams - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-06-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I have a new Brother 1034D Serger. I am seaming silk Georgette. I have two goals:

1. The narrowest possible rolled hem stitch

2. The narrowest possible narrow overlock seam without the fabric rolling (so I can have the thinnest possible seam, rather than four layers of fabric inside the seam).

I have removed the left needle and the stitch finger as instructed in the manual.

I am having these problems:

1. Rolling: I cannot find settings that make a narrow overlock without the fabric rolling like a rolled hem, so the tiny seam is thicker than I want it. This occurs on various stitch widths and lengths, not just when the machine is set on R/R.

2. Consistency. I achieved a nice unrolled overlock, but after changing settings on the machine, I get different results with the previously successful settings. It should be possible to reset the machine to repeat a desired stitch. What's wrong?

Also, another question:

I want to use the thinnest thread possible so that my hems/seams are as fine as possible. Any recommendations?

#2 of 2 Old 08-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergerina View Post
I have removed the left needle and the stitch finger as instructed in the manual.

I am having these problems:

1. Rolling: I cannot find settings that make a narrow overlock without the fabric rolling like a rolled hem, so the tiny seam is thicker than I want it. This occurs on various stitch widths and lengths, not just when the machine is set on R/R.

2. Consistency. I achieved a nice unrolled overlock, but after changing settings on the machine, I get different results with the previously successful settings. It should be possible to reset the machine to repeat a desired stitch. What's wrong?

Also, another question:

I want to use the thinnest thread possible so that my hems/seams are as fine as possible. Any recommendations?

I do not have and am not familiar with your serger model.  But it sounds like the problem is that you didn't replace the stitch finger (or engage the knife) when you tried to return to overlocking after rolling.

So, for your Goal #1, narrow rolled hem, it sounds like you need no stitch finger and to use setting R/R (with the knife disengaged), at the narrowest stitch width setting.  And for Goal #2, narrow overlock, you need to use the stitch finger, and the lowest setting (for less thread coverage), as well as the narrowest stitch width, and have the knife engaged.

On the thread, like I said, using the setting for less thread coverage when overlocking will help with this.  Regular serger thread is thinner than sewing thread, so if you are using regular sewing spools, try switching to serger cones.  Otherwise, there is silk thread, although that can be expensive.

Good luck!

Mama to 3 boys 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page