Mothering Forum banner

Sewing wool soakers- got an easy pattern that you love?

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  seraf 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to sew some soakers and was wondering if anyone has a good pattern or tutorial. Best would be how to make them out of old sweaters, but other patterns are welcome as well. I'd love to make longies as well as shorter ones/ covers. Thanks!

#2 ·
you can use any pattern with upcycled materials... if you do a web search for "Katrinas Soaker Pattern" you should be able to find the free soaker pattern that pretty much everyone uses.. I've asked several times for other soaker patterns on a forum that has a lot more traffic than this and they didn't know of one other than Katrina's... so that seems to be the go-to.... it's good, but not perfect!!

#6 ·
I have made that one from fleece and wool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniity View Post

There is one especially for recycled sweaters: http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-column2.html

I haven´t tried it though, did anybody?
I have also made Katrina's. They are both pretty easy, but I don't like wasting material, so I favor the triangle pattern. When using fleece I don't even finish the legs or waist. Out of one sweater I made 8 NB sized soakers. Like this: /\/\ It was wide enough to make 2 across the bottom, which made 4, and then I used the inverted scraps to make the other 4. I used more of the sweater to make some larger sized ones and the sleeves to make longies. All in all I felt like I really used the whole sweater. They are nice and stretchy and I haven't used my new batch, since I'm still waiting on the baby to wear them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.