Easy knitting in the round pattern - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-08-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wanted to try something new in knitting. I have never knitted in the round and thought it would be fun to try it. What is a good, easy, beginning pattern? Preferably something that doesn't take forever and a day to knit. When I start I like easy/quick projects otherwise I give up (if I made a list of all the projects that Ive started and never finished I would have several pages worth.. oops redface.gif)

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#2 of 14 Old 08-16-2011, 07:39 AM

ok, i have been waiting for somebody to answer you as i am trying to learn the same thing. 

i found knit picks on youtube and there's a video tutorial for making a simple hat.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_hl7HGMDy0 

i seem to be having success with this (but i haven't completed it yet). 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#3 of 14 Old 08-16-2011, 11:45 AM

I didn't check out the link above, but my first in-the-round project was a roll-brimmed hat. Super-easy. I found the pattern in Knitting for Dummies but I'm sure there's a bunch on Ravelry :)

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#4 of 14 Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 AM

perdita, that's exactly what that video was-- how to do a roll brim hat. so that must be the first project circular needle thing to do!

i finished my own hat and i feel like i learned alot from making it (meaning it's pretty ugly but i am confident i can make hats now)crochetsmilie.gif

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#5 of 14 Old 08-18-2011, 01:00 PM

Ha. Well then there's agreement :) I made a whole bunch my first winter of knitting. It was nice to have something so useful at the end :)

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#6 of 14 Old 08-29-2011, 07:42 AM

If you are comfortable knitting in rib, a ribbed band hat is nice too.  I prefer to wear hats with a little ribbing at the bottom, so I make more like that.  It's still dead simple, just cast on, join in the round, k1p1 for an inch or two, switch to stockinette til you start the decreases. 

Knitting in the round is super fast and fun, stockinette in the round may be the most relaxing, mindless knitting ever!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#7 of 14 Old 09-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Rebecca Danger has a couple of free toy patterns. Her nugget bunnies were my first in-the-round project. So easy! I made four for my kids and then made different accessories for each one - so one had a cape, one had a crown, one had a wizard hat, and one had fairy wings. I also chabged the tails a bit. They kids love(d) them.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#8 of 14 Old 09-08-2011, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

A hat is a great place to start but if you want something even faster, how about a pair of wrist warmers? That should be enough to help you feel comfortable with the technique and then you can go on to anything you want to make. When I started knitting I jumped in at the deep end and the first thing I made was an Icelandic sweater knit in the round - dpn's, circular needles, colourwork - and after a few rough starts it turned out just fine.

#9 of 14 Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM

I agree a hat is a great first in the round project!

Also have you ever visited Ravelry.com? It is a knitting and crocheting site and they have hundreds of free patterns! Rated by how easy they are, how much yarn and what type of yarn you have ect. Great people who will answer your question usually minutes after you post it. 

Good luck knitting is so fun!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#10 of 14 Old 09-08-2011, 06:41 PM

Ravelry is fun - but dangerous! I am going to have to live to be 482 to knit all of the patterns I have found there and want to knit knit.gif

#11 of 14 Old 09-09-2011, 11:55 AM

I totally agree and am in the same boat! lol

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#12 of 14 Old 09-09-2011, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

I love raverly.. I spend more time then I probably should on that site.

I just finished up the dishclothes I was knitting so some type of beanie or similar is in my near future.. Im looking forward to it. Now to find a good you tube link for joining in the round.. Cause if all else fails I know I can trust you tube to have it (its how I learned to sew.. and do knitting beyond the knit stitch :))

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#13 of 14 Old 09-12-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post

Ravelry is fun - but dangerous! I am going to have to live to be 482 to knit all of the patterns I have found there and want to knit knit.gif

Yep!!!!

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#14 of 14 Old 09-20-2011, 03:33 PM

The thing that saves me from Ravelry is that I really don't like the way the discussion forum is set up. I do love looking at all the comments and things people make with different yarns in the yarn section and I love exploring the pattern section.

Tags
Knitting In The Round

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page