Girly/boyish diapers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-20-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am almost 30 weeks pregnant, and the sex is going to be a surprise. I am going to CD and will be using pocket diapers. I have several on my baby registry (my shower is tomorrow), but I'd also really like to make some diapers and some pads for me (I figure I can use the same materials for each). All the diapers on my registry are gender-neutral, but I would like some diapers that are girly or boyish. However, I am fairly certain that the newborn period is when most diapers will be needed, and when I'll have the least amount of time or energy to put into sewing.

I am posting in hopes someone has ideas for me...maybe I could make some especially girlish and boyish ones, then just make sure his pink diaper is used at night when no one sees it anyway, or not care that my daughter has blue trains on her diaper (people usually look at clothes anyway and don't see the diaper, right?) Or maybe I'd be able to sell the diapers that don't match the gender? Do they take that long to sew (maybe I could cut out and do any prelim sewing first, then purchase pul for the outer part and sew it together right after birth)? Or just do boy stuff because girls can get away with that more easily anyway (but I really want cute girlie stuff..)?

Rachel, massage therapist and single mom :to Keanu 7/29/04 and Juniper 11/18/11!  Lovingfemalesling.GIFcd.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifgd.giffambedsingle1.gif

#2 of 4 Old 08-21-2011, 05:05 PM

My son has been using some pink diapers (and a wool soaker I knitted that I didn't realize had pink stripes in the yarn until it was halfway done - don't knit at night LOL) since he was born. It doesn't seem to have affected him negatively yet. :P

I say pick fabric that makes YOU happy. Pink and purple oogas made me happy, so I bought the diaper for my son. My DH sometimes winces a little when he sees him in it, but I don't see the big deal. He also has diapers with flowers and pink and green dots, etc, because either they were DD's or they were a good price. Forget boy/girl and find stuff YOU like. A colour is just a colour - nothing more :)

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#3 of 4 Old 10-02-2011, 08:09 PM

If you want to make some super inexpensive girly and boyish prints, try using the snuggle flannel from JoAnns. When it's on sale or you have a coupon you can make quite a few diapers (I did Rita Rumps, but just made the whole pattern smaller for newborns and smalls) out of a yard of fabric.

Both of my kids have worn blue and pink (and every other color diapers). Especially if they are fitted diapers, only the cover will show, even if it does. The cute prints are more for you!

Mama to three

#4 of 4 Old 10-23-2011, 02:42 PM

I would wait and use your gender neutrals and then make what you want after the baby is born. Joann's has a new line of cloth diaper making supplies. I love them. They have some great gender neutral prints too. It's called Babyville Boutique.

God Bless,

Laura

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page