What are you knitting these days? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 11-07-2012, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been crocheting snowflakes like mad since the beginning of October.  I plan to include one with each Christmas card I send out (something I've planned to do for years and never followed-through on).  I am currently finishing-up a little hat set for my niece which is in her favorite colors and has a little matching hat for her American Girl doll.  I have plans to buy yarn this week for a few of the Christmas gifts I'm knitting (a scarf or cowl for my twin sister, socks for my Mom and MIL).  I'm really looking forward to buying some yarn, as I've been stash knitting my way through the last couple weeks because things were really tight financially.  

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#32 of 51 Old 11-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently made the cutest hat for my neice, Brianna.  Its dark purple and multi-colored verrigated yarn combined.  She loves it.  In fact, I had to basically pry it off of her during church service 2 weeks ago, when she wanted to wear it the entire service.

I am also making baby bottle covers to sell at a local holiday bazaar in 2 weeks. 

#33 of 51 Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpintsch View Post

I've been knitting a few baby outfits lately. It's so much fun creating with wool

HarlequinRomperBig.jpgTeddyBearFullsetBig.jpg

These are way too cute! Did you knit or crochet the embellishments?

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
#34 of 51 Old 11-29-2012, 05:11 PM

I just finished making some melt and pour soap and decided to make some sweaters for them. I followed this great pattern, with my own tweaks, of course. It was super simple so I ended up making a bunch! They'll make great holiday gifts. Here are pics of mine: mamawolfeknits.blogspot.com and the pattern link is there, but if you want to go directly to it: http://lookwhatnicolemade.blogspot.com/2009/11/bamboo-soap-sweaters.html

#35 of 51 Old 12-02-2012, 05:46 PM

Made this for a breastfeeding basket for my friend who had her baby shower today. Her nursery theme is Nightmare Before Christmas. :-D It's hard to sew a little jack o lantern face on a yarn ball! 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#36 of 51 Old 12-06-2012, 07:12 PM

I have been busy knitting up a storm after taking a nice long break.  I have also discovered Manos yarn and I tell you I can't believe I never had it before! But currently I am knitting DD some slippers.  I have been searching for what seems like eternity trying to find the perfect slipper pattern and I think this is it.  http://blog.makezine.com/craft/craft_pattern_bunny_hop_slippe/  I am knitting them for my little girl so I am using a strand of acrylic ww with a strand of wool lace and a strand of sock yarn.  They are pink/mauve/self striping with some fun hand dyed roving for the thrums.  I have one knit except for embellishments and she loves it!    I am going to have to make myself a pair next though....  I also remembered why I have knitting with acrylic.  my hands are soooo sore- but I know how fast we wear out wool slippers here... way way too fast :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#37 of 51 Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 PM

Super cute iowaorganic! You'll have to post a picture when you're done. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#38 of 51 Old 12-09-2012, 12:20 AM

I'm doing a ton of these neck warmers for Christmas.  In super bulky yarn they knit up fast and they're really cozy and cuddly.  I modified this pattern (for those in ravelry):

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cabled-pidge-podge

I also just finished the sweetest hat and bootie set for my neighbor's newborn.  

Pattern from here:  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/seamless-cable-booties

I love this pattern.  It was so super simple and quick that I finished both booties in one day!

I don't know where I got the hat pattern.

#39 of 51 Old 12-09-2012, 08:19 PM

I've done a pair of socks for myself and these were the first thing I ever knit in my life so I think I did pretty well on them :)

Knit one of 2 itty bitty baby sockies for my best friend's little baby who's only just going to be 3 months old on christmas eve, I'm making him a matching hat with that, my friend's other son wil also get camo socks and I'm making my best friend a matching pair as well :)

This is the first of 2 I'm not impressed that I had the second one almost entirely done, made a mistake and couldn't figure out where I made it so I have to recast it on tomorrow.

And these are the start of my friend's two at a time toe up socks :)

#40 of 51 Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM

I recently got a sock knitting loom during Black Friday sales at JoAnns crafts.  So far, I have only made the cuff of one sock, but its looking pretty good.  Will post a picture later on.

Jessie

(proud aunt to my 3 year old neice, Brianna)

#41 of 51 Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM

What the heck are knitting looms?

#42 of 51 Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM

I just finished the Afghan for Afghan vest, actually two of them. They came out super cute! I also made a skull cabled cowel and ribbed hat to match one of the sweaters, then a pub hat to match the other. They are holiday gifts for my boys (4 and 7). Everyone is working on such great projects, it makes me wonder how many more things I can manage to knit in the next two weeks!

#43 of 51 Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 AM

Whoops! I forgot to mention the url for the vest pattern, http://www.afghansforafghans.org/vestforafghanchildren.html

and if you want to see my finished work and the skull cable cowel and hat, you can check out my blog, mamawolfeknits.blogspot.com

#44 of 51 Old 12-11-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

After smelling my gross, mildewy kitchen sponge, I decided to knit dishcloths. I bought a huge skein of cotton, and I am doing each one in a different stitch, but the same color and size. When I am finished, I will have a pile of pretty, reusable dishcloths, and will have learned about 15 different stitches, and how to read a pattern. And eventually, it will turn out to be cost effective, as I have been throwing out sponges pretty quickly these days.

I have also been making dishcloths, but for holiday gifts. I have also found it fun to learn a bunch of different stitch patterns while making something useful. If you haven't checked out Ravelry, there are some great dishcloth patterns there. I am making my husband a TARDIS dishcloth to keep a plant on in his office. Also, I made some soap holder/wash cloth things (aka soap sweaters) that were super quick, easy, and came out really cute. The only adjustment I made to the pattern was to add a snap instead of a button and I made a hook so they can hang in the shower and not get all moldy. Here's the pattern I used http://lookwhatnicolemade.blogspot.com/2009/11/bamboo-soap-sweaters.html

And if you want to see mine, with the hook, they're here http://mamawolfeknits.blogspot.com/2012/11/soap-sweaters.html

#45 of 51 Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 PM

I am working on a baby afghan for a friend that is expecting. It has been more challenging than I expected. I have always crocheted and I desparately want to knit, but I seem to only be able to do swatches and dishclothes things that are small and square. But I am determined to make it work this time!
#46 of 51 Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 AM

I just found this forum here (still a new member overall)... Right now I have a bunch of UFOs sitting about the house. I wasn't going to start any new projects until I finished most of the UFOs I currently have (I have 4 UFOs - presuming I am not missing any - a sweater, a blanket that I have been working on for a couple of years now, and a very intricate shawl, plus a purse/clutch that just need the closure part). BUT... then I decided that I want to knit up a pair of baby booties and give them to my mom for Christmas to announce that we are pregnant. She will just die when she unwraps them. Luckily, they should be quick to knit up. And then I can get back to finishing all of my other projects... And maybe start this (if baby-to-be is a boy) for the Christening:

IMG_5092_1_medium.JPG

lactatinggirl likes this.

Living in my dream location on the Seacoast of NH  |  Happily married to my best friend since 2003 - heviolin.gifVERY well!

Proud momma to 2 kitties:   cat.gif(Caesar) and cat.gif(Cleopatra)  |  Avid jog.gif, artist, & knit.gif

"My Sport Is Your Sport's Punishment"

#47 of 51 Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermesgoddess View Post

I just found this forum here (still a new member overall)... Right now I have a bunch of UFOs sitting about the house. I wasn't going to start any new projects until I finished most of the UFOs I currently have (I have 4 UFOs - presuming I am not missing any - a sweater, a blanket that I have been working on for a couple of years now, and a very intricate shawl, plus a purse/clutch that just need the closure part). BUT... then I decided that I want to knit up a pair of baby booties and give them to my mom for Christmas to announce that we are pregnant. She will just die when she unwraps them. Luckily, they should be quick to knit up. And then I can get back to finishing all of my other projects... And maybe start this (if baby-to-be is a boy) for the Christening:

IMG_5092_1_medium.JPG

Congratulations on the pregnancy! What an awesome way to tell your mother!!! I absolutely adore the baby boy outfit.

#48 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 AM

I finally finished that new wool green scarf, and immediately cast on a wool burgundy one, which I finished last month (thank god!) Now I'm hard at work with my daughter's bright pink scarf, also in a linen stitch (see pic. above). What can I say, I'm in love with that pattern!! I've made a bajillion dishclothes for Christmas presents and pulled apart the patterned dish towel for my mom because I was getting lost reading the pattern. Instead, she's getting homemade chocolate covered cherries...

After the holiday madness is over, I've got to sit down and learn some knitting techniques, knitting with different colors, how to FOLLOW a pattern, cables, and socks...I've got such a need to knit socks....

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#49 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 AM

Tpinsch- Those are SOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!!! My youngest is almost five, so a bit too old for something like that now. Too bad, cause those are ROCKIN'! If you don't sell on Etsy, you should consider it. Just... WOW!

#50 of 51 Old 01-19-2013, 06:58 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am so excited about my new project! Have you ever heard of a "bog jacket"? I can't cut and paste the URL right now, but a quick google search will bring up examples. It is after the design of one of the earliest garments ever made - really ancient, just past wrapping an animal skin around your shoulders. In Denmark, I believe, prehistoric bodies were found, perfectly preserved in peat bogs (hence the name), and even their clothing has survived . It is just a huge rectangle, with some strategic slashes (knit in, not cut, in my case). Then one or 2 simple, straight seams. Voila, bog jacket!

What makes this even more exciting is that I discovered an amazing unique type of yarn store in my city. Instead of skeins or hanks, all their yarn is single ply, on cones. Then you choose up to 6 threads, any assortment of colors and fibers, and they combine them for you. I chose alpaca, merino, bamboo, and silk, in 3 greys, plus navy and purple, all twisted together. I love just looking at "my" yarn, and touching it! They were able to estimate how much I would need (about 2 pounds total), and they wound it onto cones for me. Just buying the yarn was a great experience.

I expect this will be a very long-term project - my rectangle needs to measure 54"x48". Previously, I have knitted only socks and dishcloths.

Thank you, kind ladies, for being here to gush to about this. My kids are pretty sick of hearing it!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#51 of 51 Old 02-10-2013, 04:03 PM

mamarhu- that sounds so awesome!  I would love to design my own yarn and have them put it together :)  The bog jacket (which I had no idea what it was before I googled it) looks awesome too!  It is kind of like Elizabeth Zimmermanns baby surprise jacket- but different construction.  similar end result though right?  

I am still working on my sweater/vest/cardi.  I am about to the shoulders on the back- then connect the shoulders and then put the ribbing on the front.  This is the never ending project....  

I would then like to knit DD2 a cut little cardigan for spring.  not that she couldn't wear something else I have knit for one of my boys- but something bright pink would be fun... or the same rose yarn as my current project...

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page